McConkie Ranch Petroglyph Trail

McConkie Ranch Petroglyph Trail is a 0.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Vernal, Utah and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Requested $5.00 donation at entrance.

This is a really good family hike.
Ages 12, 9, 6 and 4 was all able to do this hike without a problem.

Little kids might have a hard time getting over a few of the boulders/steps but for the most part, it's an easy great hike/walk for all. My three year old did most of it on her own with me assisting in just a few spots. Unless you really like to study the petroglyphs, it's easily under an hour. The second walk called three kings is also nice. Be aware that you walk across a large pasture before hitting the trail. It's flatter and shorter than the other trail but with the time through the pasture it felt almost the same. The three kings trail offers some nice views of rock formations.

one of my faves

Pretty cool petroglyph. Trail is pretty good too.

Great. Do it yourself state park!

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Super easy hike. Definitely not 4 miles. Leave the 5 dollar donation, borrow a walking stick and walk on up to the petroglyphs. It is a verrrry short hike. I'd imagine its doable by any and all. :)

Monday, June 13, 2016

Man. This is some fun stuff. The hike up is definitely moderate. Lots of loose rock/gravel and some steep edges. The trail is well marked. The petroglyphs are labeled and easy to see. Just panel after panel of work. Don't be a turd - leave the $5 donation.

My husband and I decided that "Doug" and "Greg" were the guys in charge of the tribe scratchings a few thousand years ago. Doug was really into swirly circles, and Greg preferred plain circles or circles around people's bellies. They both liked designing the jewelry, but had a major falling out when deciding how to depict the high-profile scene. Doug thought the bear needed scarier paws, but Greg was really into his "animal teeth" phase. Only one of them survived work that day. I'll let you decide who after you hike the trail.

^^^ none of that is historical fact, but we DID see a scary snake. So watch out for that.

Monday, May 23, 2016

We took this trip not really expecting much. We were so wrong. This place is pretty neat. You do have to actually hike/climb to see the Petroglyphs but the trails are short and worth it. One suggestion do not trust MapQuest for directions. We went on a wild goose chase with our phones and MapQuest directions.

Monday, May 02, 2016

Loved this hike!!! My kids 19 & 12 yrs old loved trying to find the petroglyphs. We could not believe how many were right there in front of you

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Great hike! We decided to run it and found it to be a great workout. We also included the 3 Kings trail and together it was over 5 miles. Great views! We plan on going again.

Sunday, May 04, 2014

Most amazing petroglyphs I have seen yet. Met the ranch family owners today they were mending the fence line. Great friendly people. Absolutely worth the time, drive, hike it was beautiful.

Thursday, November 07, 2013

So glad the property owner preserved it! Awesome! Worth the trip. Be ready to climb a little. The owner is very nice and gave us a tour.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Awesome petroglyphs! Ranch is actually a few yards further then the map says.. But it gets you in the general direction. Was easy with little kids and dog, great hike!

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Some of the best petroglyph viewing in the entire west! Panel, after panel, after marvelous panel are easily accessible. From the parking lot, the best glyphs are to the South.