Maybird Gulch Trail to Maybird Lakes is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The hike starts at the White Pine Trailhead and is suitable for beginners. The trail is well maintained and signed. A paved path leads from the parking area to a footbridge over Little Cottonwood Creek. The route follows a old 4-wheel drive track, which is now closed. The trail climbs to the southwest into White Pine Canyon. One hundred yards after crossing the footbridge the trail forks. The right fork leads down to a stream side meadow, take the left fork, which climbs upward. 1-mile from the trailhead the trail meets the stream in White Pine Canyon. The 4-wheel drive track continues to White Pine Lake, the signed trail to Red Pine Lake and Maybird Gulch crosses the stream on a footbridge 50 yards upstream. After crossing the stream, the trail leads west in a rising traverse around the ridge, through a wooded section, into Red Pine Canyon. As you cross the ridge between White Pine and Red Pine Canyon you enter into the Lone Peak Wilderness Area. The trail continues up Red Pine Canyon until the trail and the stream in Red Pine Canyon converge at the Maybird Gulch turn-off. This trail junction is 2 1/2 mile from the trailhead. The trail to Maybird Gulch crosses the stream on a footbridge. The trail to Red Pine Lake continues up the east side of the Red Pine stream. The trail to Maybird Gulch cross the footbridge at the trail junction makes a switchback as it climbs the hill and heads west as it crosses the ridge into Maybird Gulch. The trail continues climbing steadily to Maybird Lake, which is the end of the maintained trail.

Saw 4 moose and a coyote. There was a bull moose and cow with calf right at the start of the trail by the parking lot and a 4th on the trail. The colors are amazing right now and the view at the top was beautiful.

The view was amazing, the hike was very nice We started at 8:15 and back at 1:, plus we spent time at the lake and ate lunch.

Follows the Red Pine trail until about a mile from the end. Red Pine is a busy trail, traffic reduced substantially once we crossed the unmarked wooden bridge. Closer to 8 miles total. Overall a good hike.

Another beautiful hike up Little Cottonwood Canyon!

Loved the view of Pfeifferhorn , one lake was dry but still beautiful.

This hike is very fun, but make sure you know the area or pay for the all trails app (not just use the free one) it is not a well marked path. The hike is very beautiful and the small lake is beautiful, especially with the little island in the middle.

This is the most beautiful trail I've hiked so far this year. My first time and I was amazed at what surrounded me. It's an easy hike and a very lightly traveled trail compared to Red Pine or White Pine. The lakes aren't much to look at but there are awesome views with Pfeifferhorn as a backdrop.

very rocky, fun hike, steeper than I expected

Despite being overcast and some occassional sprinkles, this was a beautiful hike. It's 7.7 miles RT, not 7.1 but the hardest part is prior to the turnoff at mile 2.6 (shares red pine lake trail to that point then crosses a bridge to the right). Sprinkles and breeze kept mosquitoes to a minimum. Pfiefferhorn is spectacular to see from this vantage point though Maybird Lake itself is small and shallow. 3 people were leaving as we arrived and 4 more came up the trail after we left so a very different experience than red pine lake. It took us 2 hours to get there.

Great hike with nice variety of scenery, including river crossings, gorgeous mountain vistas, aspen groves, and an incredible view of the Pfeifferhorn (I think) and lake at the end. The intro in All Trails was a little misleading. The easiest thing to do is follow the Red Pines trail for most of the way. There is a river crossing where the path diverges but there is no signage pointing the way toward Maybird so we used the Alltrails GPS to help us. I added a photo to the album to help show which way it goes. The first and third portions are “easy to moderate” but the middle third was quite a bit more steep. Overall a cool hike!

Still some snow on the trail in spots, but the trail can be followed with a little searching. Got up to the lakes and only saw one other person after the trail split from the Red Pine trail.

Just went hiking there yesterday and couldn't make it to the lake. I was 3.5 miles in and the trail was covered in snow. Even lost the trail and decided to turn around. The second half of the hike is harder than the first part. Most of the hike is shaded and beautiful. After the second junction I saw no one on the trail and there were parts where the trail was not as visible. I'll try to hike it again in a few weeks when the snow is gone.

Hiking it as I type! Good late afternoon walk.

We hiked this about a few days ago. It was beautiful. We walked through water and climbed snow the last 2 miles AT LEAST. The lake is still frozen but it’s BEAUTIFUL and I will be doing this one again soon. ❤️

One of my favorite places to hike! Never disappoints. Always peaceful and serene with few people on the trail. Hiked it yesterday... was the only one on the Maybird turn off. Trail ran a chunk of it, mostly on the downhill, too steep for me to run up most of it. Used a new pair of icebugs cleated trail running shoes. The snow tracks don't follow the real trail but they get you there fine. I didn't realize it had dumped me out at the highest lake, so I kept hiking up a snow shoe track til i realized I was almost to the saddle up there, so turned around. beautiful day. nice to get above the inversion. Sad that we have haze in the air from the California fires right now. Could smell and see it. Maybe consider wearing a filtering mask until the fires quit out west.

Friday, November 10, 2017

A few inches of snow so the trail to Maybird Lakes is impossible to see after the Red Pine fork. I just followed the only set of tracks and it was close to the trail.

Monday, September 25, 2017

Great hike that's definitely less traveled than those that start at the same trail head. We hiked it at the end of September, it was 20 degrees to start, but it ended up being great weather. The lakes had a very thin layer of ice, making them look even more stunning thank usual.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Wildflowers were gorgeous on the way up, and I was the only person at the lake.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

I would have brought my poles and or micro spikes for all the snow we started to hit after about an hour up. Gorgeous day though!

Friday, August 19, 2016

I loved this trail. It was chilly in the morning and perfect in the early afternoon. The Red Pine trail is CRAZY busy but once we got onto Maybird trail we saw 3 other people coming down who spent the night up there. I would rate this as a moderate hike and honestly I would do this hike over and over again. It was beautiful! The rocks by the lake have a ton of bees which was mildly annoying but it's nature, what are you going to do. An amazing view of Pfeifferhorn which was great to look at from the hammock.

Friday, August 12, 2016

Great trail to get away from the people. We saw no one at the lake! The trail is not as well maintained in the upper sections so use your spidey senses and pay attention. Good 7.5 mile workout and lots of sunshine. The bugs have settled down and were not a problem. I am looking forward to visiting this lake again, we saw several Pica!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Incredible way to get away from the crowds headed up to Red Pine and White Pine Lakes. The wildflowers are unbelievable, the lakes are breathtaking and the hike is a great workout (get ready to get your heart rate up after the footbridge, it gets steeper). Flies at the top were in full force, but still enjoyable.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Hiked this trail this morning. Took about 4 hours round trip. Beautiful hike! A little steep at parts but tons of wildflowers and one pretty AMAZING view of the Pfeifferhorn! Will definitely do again! Also...tons of bug (flies) everywhere near the top. A little annoying but the view was worth it.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I loved this hike but it definitely isn't an easy stroll in the park. Once you take the last fork (over the footbridge where the trail splits from the Red Pine Lake trail) it's pretty steep most of the way. But it's beautiful with wildflowers all around. I saw a couple of people coming down as I went up but I didn't see another soul while I was at the lakes and what a beautiful setting! They are situated in Maybird Gulch with the Pfiefferhorn looming over head to the east. The lakes are mostly surrounded by boulder fields. It took some scrambling over those giant boulders to get a good look at the lake to the south which as a little island in it with pines growing there.

My GPS app I use when I hike said this hike was 8 miles (but that did include me wandering around the lakes a bit).

Saturday, July 23, 2016

I don't know what that review below was smoking but by the time I made it to to juncture between Red Pine and Maybird we were tired. And Maybird is steep. Haha beautiful hike and the wild flowers were just showing off. 24th of July and there are both lakes, no snow. Definitely less traffic. 2.5 hours up (lots of picture taking) 1.5 hours down

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Great hike with pretty views! The lakes at the top were super clear and beautiful. For this hike you just follow all the signs for the Red Pine Lake trail. Once you are about 3/4's of the way to the top the trail will branch. One way will continue straight and the other way will branch off with a bridge taking you across the river- take the bridge route to get to Maybird. I only saw ONE other person on this part of the trail! Also- the flies on the trail right now (July 22,2016) are horrendous.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Beautiful and well worth the hike. Lots of people going to the other lakes and only encountered a few this way.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Loved it. Once we reached the point where it veered off from the Red Pine trail, we didn't encounter any other hikers. Got to do some Boulder hopping at the gulch and the views were amazing. It was a steady climb most of the way, but nothing terrible.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Trail was clear all the way up on 6/25. the trail does not follow the map on alltrails and the hike is around 8 miles out and back

Monday, June 13, 2016

Trail was well maintained until about the last .6 miles or so which was still covered in snow! Lake was beautiful and totally worth the hike up, and we did see three moose down by the parking lot.