Maple's Box Canyon Trail

Maple's Box Canyon Trail is a 1.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moroni, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

This is a fantastic little box canyon in Maple Canyon. Towering walls of natural conglomerate reach skyward on either side as you follow this narrow crack to a waterfall at the end. Several 15 ft high boulders block the way, requiring basic rock climbing ability to climb them with anchored ropes. Entire canyon is a conglomerate rock formation. Very dangerous due to falling rocks from several hundred feet above. No restroom facilities. This area is private but visitors currently have permission to hike in it, so please take care of it and leave nothing behind! Danger of falling rocks and flash floods, so be careful.

Beautiful place but sharp rocks on the way make it a very slow hike and a challenge is you’re like us who did it with a bunch of young kids. We also got to the point 2/3 through the hike where we didn’t know where to go as the road seemed to have been blocked by large boulders. I suppose that’s why this hike is labeled as “moderate” difficulty.

Box Canyon is a short but enjoyable jaunt with great views and fun scrambling and bouldering. It's suitable for younger hikers and various experience levels. Climbing and repelling is also a satisfying addition for those up for adding some adventure. Made great memories with superb people in this canyon...

Physically easy with a few terrain exceptions. Amazing sights and one of the best for kids!

Stream and waterfall were frozen when I was there.

This is one of my favorite places in Utah. Easy trail but requires some scrambling over and under large boulders in the canyon. It doesn't take long to reach the waterfall, but make sure you climb it with ascenders and a harness.

Short and fun for kids

Great little hike has some bouldering. At the top there is a waterfall with ropes you can climb.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

This place is beautiful. Trail is not marked but navigation takes you right up to the start. Careful walking and climbing on the rocks. The water level was extremely low (early aug) Well known rock climbing/rappelling spot. At the falls there's a rope to climb if you have gear. My kids felt accomplished after conquering the huge boulders. Be prepared and stay safe.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

This place is unique for sure and well populated, however, if you're not familiar with climbing and don't have the shoes/gear for that then you'll only be able to make it halfway by yourself. I was stumped by the slick boulder that was taller than my head. I couldn't figure how to safely climb it alone so I turned back and plan to take a climbing class soon. Great place for rock climbers; not so much for hikers

Saturday, April 29, 2017

I had the whole place to myself. No snow and the weather was mild.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Kids all loved it. No trouble keeping up for the little ones. Amazing and beautiful area. April, was pretty cold and windy. Definitely will be back in warmer weather!

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Cool canyon rock formations! Kid friendly as they love to explore! We hiked it in late October so take a jacket. Amazing when the sun rays gleam through the high rock canyons! It's not marked from the Maple Canyon road so look closely for the parking pullouts before you get into the campground. You will see a pretty prominent canyon heading north from the main road.

Friday, July 29, 2016

very unique and easy hike. loved the high walls and climbers. large cave half way up that can be climbed and entered. Waterfall at end not worth much. some clogs in the slot that take some effort to climb over. will come back.

Friday, May 27, 2016

I have done a lot of hiking in my time. Angels landing, Kings peak, Mt Nebo, My Tipabogas... But for all of the hard and brutal hikes I have done, if you want just an easy fun trail, I absolutely love this place! Other than the fact that this is a popular hiking trail it's one of my favorite easy hikes:)

Sunday, November 08, 2015

Awesome hike my friends and I went later in the afternoon about 2:30, the trail was pretty void of other hikers which might also have been because it was the first week of November. This hike was very rewarding and a blast to hike! Would definitely recommend to anyone.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

The waterfall was much harder than I expected, while my son climbed up and down several times, I chickened out near the top and didn't make it. Read my full blog review here: http://utahtim.com/2015/07/box-canyon-to-waterfall/

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Very neat little box canyon. Was out on a ATV adventure and our group stopped here to have a look see. We spent about 45 minutes exploring the canyon and cooling off from the days heat.

Thursday, April 09, 2015

Went up this trail with my kids and in laws today. The canyon walls are made out of natural cobblestone/cement, and there was some of just about every type of rock in the wash. It was fun looking around, climbing up the sides, and exploring the cracks and caves. Definitely a fun hike for the whole family - up to a certain point.

Most the trail was easily passable, but once we got to the boulder climb, some of us had some difficulty getting over a couple of them - you're looking at a 12 foot near vertical climb, which we all made but it took a while to figure it all out. There is an anchored rope in good condition.

Took a bunch of pictures, but every one looks washed out and pixilated from the poor lighting. Such is life with a cell phone camera, I suppose.

Thursday, July 27, 2017