Maple's Box Canyon Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(84)
Moroni, Utah

Maple's Box Canyon Trail is a 1.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moroni, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.2 miles Elevation Gain: 462 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

This is a fantastic little box canyon in Maple Canyon. Towering walls of natural conglomerate reach skyward on either side as you follow this narrow crack to a waterfall at the end. Several 15 ft high boulders block the way, requiring basic rock climbing ability to climb them with anchored ropes. Entire canyon is a conglomerate rock formation. Very dangerous due to falling rocks from several hundred feet above. No restroom facilities. This area is private but visitors currently have permission to hike in it, so please take care of it and leave nothing behind! Danger of falling rocks and flash floods, so be careful.

We didn’t make it all the way to the end of the trail. We made it to the midway point which is the bottom of the waterfall. After that it’s a little bit sketchy to take little kids. We had kids with us for this hike and really enjoyed being with them. We enjoyed scrambling and going up and over and under boulders.

Very short hike. But very scenic. Expect lots of climbers.

This was a fantastic little hike. I would say easy except for the mild bouldering required to get to the waterfall. Climbing past the waterfall requires some good shoes and some solid nerves. A rope is there to aid the climb. A little hard getting back down at certain points. Pretty empty trail except for some climbers at the start of the trail. I will definitely go back again more prepared to climb and explore. A must if you’re in the area. NOTE: I tried to post a picture, but there was a note at the start of the trail warning that a bear had been sighted two days earlier.

Super cool trail! Took my dogs and we couldn’t go all the way to the end with them due to some scrambling you have to do.

Completed this hike with my four kids today. The rock walls are fascinating. I was grateful we had another family to help us scramble up the rocks with our little kids. We ended our hike at the waterfall. I can't wait to go back without kids and rock climb

like Zion in concrete!

This was a short and easy hike. You do need to climb a big boulder towards the end, but the hike is still nice even if you don't go over it. We went on a Thursday, late morning and no one else was there. I'm anxious to go back and check it out in late spring. There is no trail marker at the beginning of this trail so we had to walk along the dirt road a bit to find it.

private property

This is a short, interesting, fairly easy, and fun spot for kids and adults. Amazing hidden slot canyon in some sort of conglomerate sedimentary rock. The walking surface is entirely cobbles, so it's easy to twist an ankle. Lots of little spots to climb and scramble around. One large boulder scramble/climb. We did not go up the waterfall rope though. A fun spot to visit. Signs say it's private property, but mention that hikers/climbers are welcome to visit.

Great canyon for families! The waterfall was still flowing even in early October (it must flow all year round). My kids (7,4,1) really enjoyed this canyon. My 7 year old and I climbed the waterfall (using ascenders and rappelling). I would not recommend the waterfall for young kids w/o harnesses and ascenders b/c the rock at the top was very slick. This was her first "rappel" and she really enjoyed it! Moderate rock climbing skills are needed to get past a few fallen boulders (In my opinion, harnesses are not necessary for the boulders).

Beautiful sight to see. This hike would be great for families or anyone with dogs.

An amazing slot canyon, if for no other reason than that it looks so different than the hundreds in the Navajo Sandstone. It's like if Zion were made out of concrete. When we went, the fixed ropes at the small climb and the waterfall were in very good shape. My son practically ran up the waterfall rope, but for me, 40 feet in the water is too much for a handline.

I took my 10,11 & 12 year old kids on this trail and they loved it. Well going up they complained but in the end they said it was awesome. Beautiful scenery and moderate hiking although two of my kids wore “Vans” on the trail. Take water and oranges to eat along the way!!

Thu May 09 2019

Did this one on 4/27/2019 with my husband and kids (16,13,10,9). It’s super cool! It’s like the Paths of the Dead from Lord of the Rings. We didn’t make it to the waterfall; we had to stop at the first rope up since none of us are climbers. Getting up MIGHT have been possible, but climbing down would have been out of the question! Still, it was really fun exploring this awesome canyon.

Mon Feb 04 2019

Magical getaway less than two hours from SLC. Just as dramatic as much of Southern Utah. In January, the snowpack can get really thicc, so plan on possibly hiking the road to the campsite for about a mile to get to the good stuff. It's well worth it to see all of the frozen waterfalls.

Sun Nov 04 2018

I loved this hike! It is definitely one of my favorite!

Sat Oct 20 2018

Awesome hike. We loved it. And it was so picturesque. Great place for the teenaged boy to climb around and up the sides of the canyon while younger pre-teens were a little more careful. Made it to the first waterfall with a 3, 9, 11, 12, and 15 year old. There were at least two spots where we literally lifted the younger ones up through the rocks, though. Our 15 year old climbed the rope on the first waterfall and made it to the second one- but there’s no way we all could do that without rock climbing equipment (and one less 3-year old!). Took us about an hour and a half to two hours. We had a lot of fun exploring and climbing around and through the rocks and canyon.

Sat Jul 21 2018

Beautiful place but sharp rocks on the way make it a very slow hike and a challenge is you’re like us who did it with a bunch of young kids. We also got to the point 2/3 through the hike where we didn’t know where to go as the road seemed to have been blocked by large boulders. I suppose that’s why this hike is labeled as “moderate” difficulty.

Tue Jun 26 2018

Box Canyon is a short but enjoyable jaunt with great views and fun scrambling and bouldering. It's suitable for younger hikers and various experience levels. Climbing and repelling is also a satisfying addition for those up for adding some adventure. Made great memories with superb people in this canyon...