Malens Peak Hike from 29th St Trailhead

Malens Peak Hike from 29th St Trailhead is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October.

Ok so this will be kind of a long one. I'm new to Utah but I have been an avid hiker in Northern California for over a decade. This is the fourth high altitude hike I've done here and I must say this is my first ever hike that I hated and almost gave up on a few times. The beginning of the hike up to the first vista (about 2 miles in) was wonderful. Trail was steep with rocks but well delineated and well shaded as well. Snapped some photos at the vista and continued on. The app at this point showed I did the whole trail but as the whole thing was 5.2 out and back I knew this wasn't the case. I kept going along a ridge and a canyon where the trail got much narrower but still easy to follow until I got to malans basin sign where it said that they had a hotel and such there way back in 1890s. Cool. No sign of any junk from old buildings but a few dead campfires to show someone had been there sometime this year. This is where the "trail" went from awesome to an interpretive bushwhacking nightmare. It became a game of pick a plant any plant to plow through and look for stone cairns to show you where on the right track. Someone left these recently because the trail was so overgrown with tall grasses and bushes that is was barely discernible at all I'm assuming. After almost a mile of playing with bugs in the jungle the cairns ended at a high-altitude creek bed that was probably 45 grade. Steep. Tons of rocks made footing a nightmare and I must admit i fell on my face a number of times. This goes on for about a half mile (it took me almost 35 minutes) and I maybe saw two cairns the whole time but could not for the life of me see another way to go out of the creekbed. At the top of the creekbed I had a great view of the radio tower on malans peak (like in the trail app photo). So close! So tired! Legs wobbly! Almost there! This last quarter mile it got even steeper and the slate slash I was climbing was like 3 steps up slide two steps back. It took forever and was really frustrating. I finally made it to the top snapped one photo and headed down because I was already way late to meet my wife. On the way down it was mostly land sliding until I saw the cairn that led me into the creekbed. Back into the marshy grasses I quickly lost the cairn markers (like I was worried about) and began to aimlessly bushwhack in the direction on the map of the first vista. After about 45 minutes of being bitten by bugs and cut up by sharp grasses and tree branches I finally came upon a trail section I recognized. Oh my god I found my way back! Getting back to the main vista I met a woman and asked her if she'd ever been up to the radio tower peak. She said god no and said she'd always thought this trail structure ended at the basin. Lol. Anyway I'm giving this 3 stars because the first half was amazing. If you value sanity though stop at malans basin sign. I don't think the rest has been done by most in some time. I have a feeling this "trail" was awesome at some time but it's like a broken down Dodge Dart now.

I love this trail as it gets your heart rate up, it's beautiful vistas along the way and great people who hike it daily. Every time I go in the morning I run in Dennis Peterson who is usually hiking down. He's done it over 1600 times, everyday of the year. What an amazing feat!

Tuesday, September 20, 2016