Malan's Peak Trail

Malan's Peak Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,060 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Located on the east side of Ogden, the summit of Malans Peak offers dramatic views out over the community, the Great Salt Lake and the surrounding mountains. The trail is signed and easy to follow. The route is somewhat steep, but not too bad. Take it slow and anyone can make this hike. There are excellent views at several points along the trail, and so you don't have to make it to the summit to enjoy a hike here. Strong hikers can continue past the summit into Malans Basin, which is a popular camping spot for backpackers.

Beautiful hike here. Didn’t make the peak but still a great trail. There are a lot of side trails and since I’m from Alabama this trail was pretty difficult to me. Would definitely recommend and do it again!!

This trail was one of the tougher trails I have done but definitely worthwhile. I would highly recommend using your AllTrails app to get you set on the right trail though. Probably wasted a good half hour trying to figure out which dang trail to follow. No clear signage at the base. A pretty shady moderate hike for the first half and then... you hit the switchbacks. Footing and trail is great, just be advised, the switchbacks are pretty steep. Wouldn’t recommend the latter to beginners or people with small children. Great view from the peak. Might do again and continue on to Malan’s Basin. Got a good workout in, for sure! Footnote: There is a cool history to this trail, google it.

Perfect time of year for Malans. Leaves are great!

hope you've been working the stair master at the gym

great hike, gps went crazy though

I love this beast! It’s not long but a bum kicker. Could make a great trail run if you like to do that. Semi rocky! The views at the top are beautiful! Also it’s a very shady trail. The beginning is a little hard to follow as trails intertwine. Follow Taylor canyon and eventually signs start to say Malan peak. We start from 27th street usually.

Short, steep, and fun to fly back down

It’s difficult to tell where the trail starts. At 27th street there are several different trails, go east and to the left and you’ll see a sign. Follow Taylor. It’s pretty easy for the first mile, then very strenuous uphill the last mile. Well maintained trails and nice shade.

I did this hike for the first time yesterday with my 4 yr old grandson. He has hiked the Waterfall Canyon trail twice and Indian Trail with me. We only hiked 2.4 miles in and back for a total 4.8 miles yesterday. He kept asking if we could just go a little farther.

I hiked this with my 3-year-old, two 4-year-old, a one-year-old and three other adults. We hiked 1 mile in, and as other reviewers stated, this part of the trail was moderate, not hard. Other than the beginning of the trail, it was shaded and followed along side a creek, although it was mostly dry. This may be fun to do earlier in the summer when there is water in the creek still. We took the advice of others and wore bug spray. I definitely saw more bugs the higher we got up the trail. They mostly didn't bother me. Be aware the there are many, many side trails. We definitely would have gotten lost if I hadn't been watching the AllTrails app to make sure we stayed on course. It was an interesting hike for the little boys and had beautiful plant life and scenery. We would love to do this one again.

It was excellent!

If you’re looking for a incline trail and shade, this is the trail. There is a creek at the bottom, but nothing as you start to climb so bring water. Bring a snack and enjoy the beautiful views at the top!

Very uphill. Rocky. Not my jam. Views of Ogden from the top are pretty awesome.

This trail was quite difficult for me as a beginner, but well worth it. The trail was mostly shaded which was nice on a 90 degree day... The temps were even lower the more you gained in elevation. We took the route that passes Kristin’s Spring, which is why I marked this trail as having a scramble. To get to the spring (which I highly recommend), you have to scramble up about 50 yards of shale/sand. You can take a break at the spring and fill up your water bottles. It tastes amazing! We reached the top after about 2 hours (because I like to take breaks and also because we located some delicious mountain strawberries). Also, there are bugs. By bugs, I mean wasps. They didn’t bite or sting though. My recommendation would be to try a few moderate hikes before attempting this one. The view from the top of this trail is such a reward for all your hard work.

Great hike with a steep ascent during the latter half. Like Hidden Valley, there’s a great view at the top. Bring lots of water if you plan to hike this when the sun is out.

Solid and difficult trail run. Well marked and good footing throughout. Great views along the way and a lot of shade.

We started this hike at 6:30am and back by 10am. It was a pretty steep incline, but very doable. The views at the peak were amazing and totally worth it!

This trail kicks your butt, but when you finish you feel like you really conquered the world!

beautiful hike!! recommend lots of water and taking your time!! the first part of the journey not so bad but getting to the second half is nothing but uphill.

Not much water in the creek. Steep after you cross the bridge. Ran into a rattle snake crossing the creek.

This is one of my favorite hikes in this area. Make no mistake; the trail is challenging. It’s a steep, steady climb. But it’s a very well groomed trail, and much of the way is shaded by plentiful trees. Great views, too. I always start from the end of 27th st. Highly recommend!

Great trail all around. It’s a leg burner with lots of steady climbing. Trail widens once you pass the first outlook and for me that’s more comfortable especially when there is traffic. It is a popular trail on weekends

This trail is a beast, BEAST I tell you, but it is my favorite hike. It is amazingly hard and fantastic. Beautiful views. It is mostly covered, which is nice, but I would still wear sunscreen. The peak. And out look are both exposed. If you take your four legged friends take lots of water for you and them. Bug spray too, I got a few horsefly bites. We did come across one baby rattler, but we stopped and gave him some space and he backed off and moved away. We started at 27th street. You do cross the river a couple places, but it was down enough that we didn’t get wet.

Awesome hike! Was worried about seeing rattlesnakes on the trail, but lucked out this time. Just as others said, it’s a moderate hike until you cross the river and then it’s tough. Took us about 2 hours total with several breaks on the way up. Amazing view!

Challenging but rewarding!

BEAUTIFUL!! The views at the top were astounding but the lush green of the trees were the real VIP. I started from 27th street. I didn’t cross the first bridge but that required a bit of hiking through the creek, only about 5 minutes before the trail is dry again. Steep but didn’t necessitate poles up or down. Took about 2.5 hrs around trip and my polar clocked 7 mi. Enjoy!

This trail was a great workout! It is a little bit longer if you start at the 27th street trail head, about 5 miles total, but a great hike. It is harder once you pass the bridge into the switchbacks with a high elevation gain. We did see 2 smaller rattle snakes, the first one was on the way up after the bridge at the first rocky area. The second one was down the the river on the way back, it was crossing the trail and almost got my two dogs. I recommend but spray as there are a lot of bugs once you start getting on the actual mountain and sunscreen as well although the trail is shaded most of the way, I still got sunburnt on my shoulders.