Malan's Peak Trail

Malan's Peak Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

rock climbing

hot springs

Located on the east side of Ogden, the summit of Malans Peak offers dramatic views out over the community, the Great Salt Lake and the surrounding mountains. The trail is signed and easy to follow. The route is somewhat steep, but not too bad. Take it slow and anyone can make this hike. There are excellent views at several points along the trail, and so you don't have to make it to the summit to enjoy a hike here. Strong hikers can continue past the summit into Malans Basin, which is a popular camping spot for backpackers.

Great trail, pretty slick in the last quarter mile or so with the snow. Real good boots highly recommended, micro spikes would be even better.

It's a shorter hike with awesome views. The conditions up there were great; traction like microspikes make things nice but people were getting by without them. The trail through the snow is well defined as of now.

I have hiked this trail a few times and the view at the end is so worth it! The full hike kicks my butt, but some nights I just do half of the hike to the "faux" peak.

Great view. Well shaded in the fall.

Beautiful fall hike with the exception of being attacked by dogs. A woman had two pit bulls off leash who charged my wife and I. We kept them back with hiking poles for a few seconds. Then they split and were circling us as the owner was acting as if it was no big deal. They were barking, snarling and lunging. At this point I drew my pistol and the owner finally took the situation seriously. This situation ended with no-one being injured. Be careful up there. Our hike was not as fun as we had imagined it would have been due to a very irresponsible dog owner. We love dogs and have three of our own. The last thing I would ever want to do is shoot a dog, but I will not allow my wife or myself to be mauled by dogs.
I highly recommend this easy hike to the top otherwise. It has a beautiful scenic overlook above Ogden and the Wasatch Range.

Fun if you go 1/2 mile past peak to basin you'll see remnants of the old resort.

not to bad of a hike excellent view when u get to the top

From 27th street TH to Malan's Peak is 2.4 miles one way. The trail is a 45 degree hike most of the way and there is a rocky ledge you need to scramble over for about 100 yards , there are 5 switch backs before coming out on top to Malan's peak . We continued on to Malians Basin a very easy hike down to a small bowl . There's a sign telling about the basin and if you look around you'll find an old steel steam engine pretty neat . 1.5 miles one way .
If your really feeling great continue on following the creek bed the trail is very hard to follow , watch for small stacks of rock and Pink plastic streamers to show you the way . Bushwacking 101!!!
The trail peters out and now your on your own to find your way up the 60 degree incline upward to Mt Ogden Peak . We ran out of day light .
Shorts are great for the hike to the basin but long pants are suggested from there up .
Rattle Snakes are still out Sept 30,2016

Very beautiful hike work the huffing and puffing to get to the top. I went when there was a large group of tourists and they were eating lunch on the peak so couldn't get a good overlook of Ogden. I would definitely do it again and I would probably go backpacking next time

Great trail and beautiful views