Malan's Peak Trail

Malan's Peak Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1942 feet

rock climbing

Located on the east side of Ogden, the summit of Malans Peak offers dramatic views out over the community, the Great Salt Lake and the surrounding mountains. The trail is signed and easy to follow. The route is somewhat steep, but not too bad. Take it slow and anyone can make this hike. There are excellent views at several points along the trail, and so you don't have to make it to the summit to enjoy a hike here. Strong hikers can continue past the summit into Malans Basin, which is a popular camping spot for backpackers.

One of my favorite trails. So much beauty. Will kick your butt!

The view was amazing and the hike wasn't that difficult at all. there are some steep parts though but it is one of my favorite hikes. It was totally work the hour drive.

Became one of my favorite hikes in Ogden yesterday. With the fall colors, the dusting of snow and the views... the whole trail felt magical.

Great hike. A butt kicker for sure! But the view at the top and on some of the switchbacks are completely worth it!

great hike. steep!

Steep but what a wonderful view!!

Really fast and gets steep

Beautiful view at the top!! Second half of the hike is very steep! Coming down is quick.

I would like to see some biking reviews

Very scenic. Beautiful views. Up hill the hole way. I prefer this hike to waterfall canyon.

DOUBLE WARNING! Do NOT attempt the loop trail. I went with my teenage son and friend and my dog (all super fit) and our 5 mile hike turned into a 5-6 hour bushwhacking, rock scrambling, dangerous decent where we almost called a helicopter to get us back down. We knew we weren't lost because we knew we had to follow the creek but at the waterfalls it was just cliff. We ended up finding a non-life threatening way down but had to be slow, smart, and careful (climbing again and descending loose rocky cliff areas). We all ended up dehydrated and exhausted. If you are wanting an epic peak hike, please just do an out and back!!! Search AllTrails for just the Malans Peak Trail. The hike to Malans Peak was steep but rewarding.

knee burner on the way down. Love this trail.

At least a moderate-level trail. Some areas of the pathway are very narrow, steep along the way up. Awesome view at the peak; quite a few branch-offs for photos -- or just to take in the moment!

This is a busy, steep hike but so worth it.

One of the harder ~5-mile hikes. There's pretty much no flat ground the entire way, which is pretty rough. I really enjoyed the two river crossing, and it was a bit tough to get our hydrophobic dog across them. The view from the top was great, but there's no shelter from the sun, so we didn't stay too long.

Great hike going up, great run going down. Amazing views at the top!!

The view at the end of this hike is spectacular and worth all the hard work getting to the top. There are not many breaks from the uphill climb from the very beginning of this hike. Compared to the last few hikes I've done that were rated moderate (Adam's canyon, Waterfall canyon and Hidden Valley) I felt that this one was significantly harder. Hiking beside the river for the first part of the trail was really beautiful too. The water is flowing fast and overruns the trail in a couple of places but not so much that you have to get wet.

Great hike. Mostly uphill, with a few switchbacks. Gopher snakes and small spiders in the bushes along the trail. The peak is highly rewarding

So this hike marked "Moderate" proved to be very challenging for me as this was only my second time hiking in the mountains. I think it was the almost constant steep grade that got me the most. The trail itself is nice and loaded with beautiful photo-ops every step of the way. The view from the peak is majestic and well worth the climb. The trail is a little narrow in the switchbacks so be careful with your footing when others are passing as some of the drop offs on the climb are pretty bad. All and all I don't regret choosing this hike for #2, but wish I knew a little more on how each trail is rated in difficulty. The waterfall canyon hike is rated the same but was for me at least, much easier to complete. I recommend this hike for anyone wanting to challenge their self.

This trail was amazing and challenging! It was well worth it!!