Malan's Peak Trail

Malan's Peak Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Located on the east side of Ogden, the summit of Malans Peak offers dramatic views out over the community, the Great Salt Lake and the surrounding mountains. The trail is signed and easy to follow. The route is somewhat steep, but not too bad. Take it slow and anyone can make this hike. There are excellent views at several points along the trail, and so you don't have to make it to the summit to enjoy a hike here. Strong hikers can continue past the summit into Malans Basin, which is a popular camping spot for backpackers.

Fun hike! A great workout and fairly steep most of the way. The trail was busy on a Saturday morning so watch where you step, lots of dog poop on the trail. Not much water running either.

There is quite a dense network of trails in this area, especially at the bottom of the canyon, and it looks like you could do this in a couple of different ways. Parts of this trail are included in at least 3 other trail entries on AllTrails. I just started at the end of 27th street and followed the signs for the north side of Taylor Canyon, and then took the signed turn to Malan Peak. After you take that turn, it is as others have said, relentlessly steep uphill. You can pretty much get the idea from the benchmark lines on the map. I guess the thing is to go slow and maintain a cheery disposition. Almost no water in the creek, no snakes and very few bugs this early Sunday morning. After reaching the peak I went another .5 miles into Malan Basin, which was nice and a bit cooler, but I guess I turned around just short of reaching the old resort.

From the map it looks like you could do this as a loop using the Beus Canyon Trail, but other reviews warn that this is very difficult and requires bushwhacking. It's not clear if this refers to hooking up with Beus Canyon, Waterfall Canyon or Mount Ogden trails. I don't think I would ever have the energy for the option of winding all the way up to the top of Mount Ogden from this trail, especially when you can take a gondola most of the way up from Snowbasin.

Love this hike! Very steep! But the full hike is 7 miles not 4.4 ...

Hiked this trail with my 9 year old and my parents. It was an uphill journey. Had to stop quite a bit near the top. I’m in moderate shape. It was an awesome workout with a beautiful view at the summit! Good amounts of shade along the way to help make steep trail manageable!

My husband and I completed this hike on July 4.

This was an awesome hike! Yes, it's steep, but there was way more shade than we expected, so it wasn't too miserable.

The views st the top were great, and everyone we encountered on the trail was friendly. Great hike to celebrate the 4th of July!

Would really recommend this hike to those who are up for the challenge!

A hard hike especially if you are overweight and out of shape but definitely worth it! The view is amazing! I would like to see dogs on leashes though.

Really nice hike! pretty steep all the way up but definitely worth it. watch for rattlers!!!

Great hike! Beautiful views and and really good workout. A group of people coming down before us saw a rattler, so be careful.

I love this hike! It’s mostly shaded. It is a steep incline most of the way, but there are beautiful views at the halfway and the top! A great workout

Loved this hike, most of it is shaded so it’s great mid day! Amazing view points so plenty of pit stops if you need a break(: My dogs loved it, a river runs by at the half way point and a waterbowl is set up at the end; that was great! Worth trying just make sure to be prepared for a straight incline hike.

Awesome view at the top! Decent incline most of the way up- worth it though

Incline the whole way...can be tough but the view is worth the cardio

Incredible views at the top! Steep climb but worth getting to the top.

Amazing hike! First mile is pretty much flat, Then the last mile is all switchbacks and steep climbing. Trail was well defined, and pretty clear from shrubs and trees. Went at sunset. Can make it up in an hour if you really push. The views are well worth the steep climb though.

it’s a subtle burner on your legs at first then increases dramatically. a beautiful hike with a gorgeous overlook of the weber state campus and the rest of the ogden valley.

Fun hike! Lots of shade :) Our fitness tracker calculated a mile more than the distance it shows. Very steep after the first half but worth it for the view!

Amazing view at the top. Super steep, I was dying all the way to the top, but it was worth it.

Fantastic hike with beautiful views, shade, and waterfalls!

Great trail. Steep but worth it!

One of my favorite trails. So much beauty. Will kick your butt!

The view was amazing and the hike wasn't that difficult at all. there are some steep parts though but it is one of my favorite hikes. It was totally work the hour drive.

Became one of my favorite hikes in Ogden yesterday. With the fall colors, the dusting of snow and the views... the whole trail felt magical.

Great hike. A butt kicker for sure! But the view at the top and on some of the switchbacks are completely worth it!

great hike. steep!

Steep but what a wonderful view!!

Really fast and gets steep

Beautiful view at the top!! Second half of the hike is very steep! Coming down is quick.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

I would like to see some biking reviews

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Very scenic. Beautiful views. Up hill the hole way. I prefer this hike to waterfall canyon.

Friday, June 16, 2017

DOUBLE WARNING! Do NOT attempt the loop trail. I went with my teenage son and friend and my dog (all super fit) and our 5 mile hike turned into a 5-6 hour bushwhacking, rock scrambling, dangerous decent where we almost called a helicopter to get us back down. We knew we weren't lost because we knew we had to follow the creek but at the waterfalls it was just cliff. We ended up finding a non-life threatening way down but had to be slow, smart, and careful (climbing again and descending loose rocky cliff areas). We all ended up dehydrated and exhausted. If you are wanting an epic peak hike, please just do an out and back!!! Search AllTrails for just the Malans Peak Trail. The hike to Malans Peak was steep but rewarding.