Malan's Peak Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,060 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Located on the east side of Ogden, the summit of Malans Peak offers dramatic views out over the community, the Great Salt Lake and the surrounding mountains. The trail is signed and easy to follow. The route is somewhat steep, but not too bad. Take it slow and anyone can make this hike. There are excellent views at several points along the trail, and so you don't have to make it to the summit to enjoy a hike here. Strong hikers can continue past the summit into Malans Basin, which is a popular camping spot for backpackers.

Awesome trail. First time hiking this. Went all the way past the peak to the camping area where the boiler is. The boiler is clearly visible and not covered by brush and sits right by the stream. By far my favorite hike in the area, but it is tough and not for beginners. One stretch of continuous uphill hiking that’s gnarly, but take breaks as needed and you’ll make it to the peak with some truly incredible views.

Started off the walk by the creek thinking it wasn’t that hard... but as soon as you hit the bridge for the first cut back, let the steep climb commence! As all reviews say, once you start climbing you don’t stop!

Hard hike but worth it. Amazing views.

Great hike! Beautiful and shady most of the way. Passed lots of other friendly hikers. The trail is in great condition. Steep at the top, but so worth it! This is one of my very favorite hikes.

Shady most of the way if you start before 9am. Well-maintained, busy trail with incredible views.

Great hike with a great view.

Tough but beautiful hike. Totally worth the sweat.

Hiked 5/16 afternoon 63° Trail was mostly shady. Great hike and weather. tough hike but very manageable. Most certainly worth the view at the top. So many flowers were in bloom. Beautiful!

If you start from 27th it's closer to 6.5 miles round trip. Great hike. The last mile is steep and brutal but worth the view.

Great trail with a nice view on top. Steep difficult hike to the top, but doable for the normal person.

Great trail and a good way to exercise my dog! We made our way up at about 6:30 and got back down before dark. Encountered two rattlesnakes (both in Taylor Canyon) so watch where you step and keep your dogs on leash.

Encountered a lot of people and dogs on the trail, but everybody was friendly and gave a wide berth for others to get by. Nice to see so many people getting out of the house today. We left at 10 AM, which wasn’t bad in the heat of the day. It’s fairly shaded until you get close to the top and so green and pretty. There was still a tiny bit of snow in the shade towards the top, but overall the trail was dry and in great shape. Lots of great views. I went with somebody for their first hike of the season, and it was a bit difficult for them, since that push to the top is a lot of elevation. I personally didn’t think the trail was that hard—just take lots of little breaks and you’ll be fine. It took a few hours and that was a slow and consistent pace with frequent stops. The top is large and flat and a great place to relax.

Tough trail but so worth it. I am not your average hiker. I am 300+ and made it to the top. I’ve been on three or four hikes this year And this was by far the toughest. If you are looking for a rewarding view and a challenge, hike Malan’s peak. Take it slow, pack lots of water and nutrient rich snacks. If I can make it so can you.

Still snow on the trail up near the top. Lots of shade though.

Loved this hike there was still snow and ice towards the top. But the views once you got up there where amazing

Still snow toward the peak

Snow about half a mile from the top still. Crampons are definitely recommended. Pretty view at the top. I was a bit sleep deprived when I did (read: this is my excuse), but this hike kicked my butt more than normal.

kicked our butts. me and my 13 years old did the hike but had to turn back about 0.2 miles from the top due to too much ice. recommend poles and spikes for sure

icy

icy

I did this April 14, 2020 the snow started about 1.5 miles up but was really just patches till about 2 miles. After that it was still pretty easy to go around the snow for a bit but eventually you can’t avoid it. I didn’t use spikes on the way up but did use poles which helped with the snow. I did put my spikes on for the way down. Great view of the City from the top.