Malan's Basin Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length9.5 miElevation gain4,704 ftRoute typeOut & back
dog friendlyCampingHikingMountain bikingSnowshoeingBird watchingForestViewsWildflowersWildlife
Description
Waypoints (1)
Facilities
Getting There

Malan's Peak/Basin is named for the Ogden pioneer family who built the wagon road to the basin and also operated the hotel there. The hotel was abandoned in the early 1900s and burned by vandals in 1913. Today, only a steam boiler (hidden in bushes) remains.

The trail begins at the 29th Street Trailhead, located at the top of 29th Street on the east side of Ogden. A parking area, restrooms and other facilities are provided.

Follow 29th street up to the parking and bathroom facilities

Photos (661)
Recordings (26)
Completed (223)
Ben Skelly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 15, 2020
HikingIcy

Wonderful and beautiful fall colors with the fresh snow intermixed. bring cleats for the snow!

J K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 7, 2020
HikingGreat!
John Cleveland
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 14, 2020
HikingOff trailOver grownRockyScramble

I didn't want to believe the other reviews and reports. I thought to myself "With my mad outdoor skillz, I'll be able to discern the trail with no problem". So I took off before sunrise this morning. The trail to Malan's Peak was a veritable highway; wide, well marked, no intrusive vegetation. The trail to Malan's Basin was narrow but completely visible and mostly downhill. I easily found the lodge plaque and the old boiler. The area beyond Malan's Basin was virgin forest where only deer had trod. I'm pretty sure that Native Americans considered this valley to be "forbidden". Birds of prey detour overhead to avoid the chance of an emergency landing there. The next two miles was extreme bushwhacking through thick vegetation, fallen trees and loose sticks. Google maps shows a green dotted trail in this area but it is not there. Hear me now and believe me later, it is not there. I repeatedly crossed over where it should have been but I could only see possible tracks from a badly disoriented squirrel. I fought my way up the right slope on all fours and finally reached that crest. It was amazingly steep and still no trail. Near the top, there are rock faces and steep drop offs...but still no trail. Finally, about 1/2 mile from the summit, I could see where someone had walked up the final bowl portion of the basin. Even it was a long, tough slog uphill. Eventually, I met up with the Beus Canyon trail and immediately decided that it was my route home. Thankfully, my wife met me at the Beus Canyon trail head. Hard pass on this one!

Reed Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 17, 2020
HikingOver grown

it was a gorgeous view, it's just that I was stuck it the overgrown area for a while cause I was just looking for a way through. once you hit the basin it's clear from there. But next time, I would recommend the snowbasin side.

Jaymie Christensen
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 10, 2020
HikingNo shadeOff trailOver grownRocky

7/10/2020 An adventure to remember! The trail from 29th street to Malan’s Peak is a 5 star. I love that trail. Shady, steep and pretty. The trail from the Peak to the hotel remains is mostly downhill and easy to follow. The trail from the hotel and up to Mount Ogden is awful, 1 Star. There is NO trail. Following a previous review we first crossed the stream to the south and started up some switch backs following pink ribbons but that was heading up towards a ridge way off course and didn’t seem right!....is it right? We went back down and tried our best to follow the red line on AllTrails. That was basically bushwhacking and rerouting though thick scrub oak and other plants. Our map looks like a loop de loop circus ha! We followed areas where the trail looked like someone had passed though and plants laid over as best we could. It finally cleared of plants up higher and the stream is dry. We went up that very rocky path. So very grateful for previous hikers rock cairns. (Thank You) fixed a few of those and kept on up. There was no shade and getting hot. That part of the trail to Mount Ogden is steep. We loved Mount Ogden and decided that a better/safer route down would be Beus Canyon so we did that route. Which was so green, full of wild flowers and beautiful views. If I ever go to Mount Ogden again this is the route I would take. 5 stars though not shady. With all that being said...we feel very accomplished that we made it to Mount Ogden up the hardest route possible. We like a good challenge but this took way longer than it needed and I wouldn’t recommend it to people.

View Jaymie's Recording
Javis Darcas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 6, 2020
Hiking

After the campsites at the basin the trail crosses the stream. The trail stays south of the stream for a ways before crossing again in a meadow clearing. We made the mistake of staying north of the stream by following the red line in the app, big mistake. If you start bushwhacking your way turn around and look for a better trail. I went through about 5L of water and was glad I brought a filter since Waterfall Creek makes a good source of water. Made a trip of this and backpacked into the basin and took at day pack to Mt Ogden. It was nice but I wouldn’t do this trail again. Too difficult and steep. Would take Ben Lomond over this any day, or make this one easier and hike to Mt Ogden from the lodge at Snow Basin.

Angelee Spader
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020
HikingOff trailOver grown

We went up Beus canyon to Mt Ogden and then down to Malans and then to 29th street. If you’re going for an adventure I would take the Malan’s route down. If not, it would be faster to go back to butte Canyon or over the top to Snowbasin. We were bushwhacking and there was no trail.

View Angelee's Recording
socialismo52 User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2020
Off trailOver grownRockyScramble

After three tries have now made it to the top. The trail is not obvious at times and you can end up trapped in scrub. One way to travel is along the upper drainage after the water disappears, but it's very rocky. It's best to cross over and zig zag along the south side of the drain Bring plenty of water, electrolytes, and a filter. I probably went through 5L.

Kailee Salgado
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 23, 2020
Hiking

The hike to the basin is HARD but beautiful. Uphill the entire time. I definitely would not take kids far on this one. My kids have made it to the first peak, but not beyond that point. However far you go, it's a beautiful trail.

Felix Trapper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 30, 2020
Hiking

Here are the coordinates to the boiler from the old hotel. You can even see a large, brown/maroon spot if you look at the satellite imagery. https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2%B012'06.6%22N+111%C2%B054'37.0%22W/@41.2018369,-111.9104503,56m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d41.20182!4d-111.9102884 We saw 3 rattlesnakes in a 1 hour period within about 1000 feet of the boiler area. Be careful!

socialismo52 User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 18, 2020
HikingIcyOff trailSnow

Tried it last week. Still too snowy once you get into the upper basin from Malan Peak. Snow was up to my thighs in certain spots and couldn't find a trail. Will try once it melts.

Josh Owens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 24, 2019
HikingMuddyNo shadeOff trailOver grownRockyScramble

The Route: We took the gondola up from Snowbasin. Then the needles ridge to the summit of Mt. Ogden. Back down to the saddle and then down the Malan's Basin Trail past Malan's Peak and down to 27th St. Trail going up from the gondola and across the ridge to the peak is good. Though a little steep in places. The trail down from the summit ridge to Malan's Basin is steep, poorly defined, covered with loose rock, and in a lot of places pretty much nonexistent. Fairly easy to figure out where to go, just down. But, definitely a challenge for most. Once we got past the steep, loose part we came to the overgrown, good luck finding a trail part. Not much to see at the basin. The best part of it is that it was relatively flat. The knees and quads were thankful. But not for long as the descent from Malan's Peak is almost as steep in places. Very good trail on the lower sections though. Much better than up high. I did have a good time as it was rarely boring or dull. But I don't think I'll do this again. Would definitely hike to the basin area again from the bottom, but no further. If you've taken this route to Ogden Peak from the bottom, I'd hate to meet you in a dark alley. Cause you're a tough sob.

View Josh's Recording
Alex Rands
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 23, 2019
Hiking

Seriously great hike! I did this solo and well, I wasn't prepared again. So it was an up in the evening and down at night, in the dark, with my phone, kinda hike. I was glad I was alone because then I didn't have to hear complaining about what a I'll conceived plan it was. That said/ explained/ confessed it was still phenomenally fun. Yes it's overgrown after the hotel plaque. so what! is not the worst I have ever bushwaked! I'd do it again. It's also very beautiful and peaceful and serene. With the trade-off. I actually found the trail better on the way down with my light than on the way up. It's hard tword the top. Only a strong desire to finish what I started got me up there. I turned off my phone a few times on the way down. Even letting my eyes adjust didn't help. If I lost that only light source... I'd have been done right there till morning. Totally fun hike! I'll say it again, I'd do it again.