Mahogany Mountain North Peak Trail

Mahogany Mountain North Peak Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cedar Hills, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I like this hike for so many reasons. I love the steepness of the trail. I love the peace and quiet that you'll find because not many people are hiking this trail, and there are spectacular views to see the whole time you are hiking it. It gives you a really good workout because this hike is very challenging, and I would definitely not bring a beginner on it. Wear good hiking shoes that have traction. I found that it really wasn't that hard to get up the steep slopes if you're wearing the right shoes. Make sure you have plenty of time to get down the mountain because you will need to go slower, due to the loose gravel and rock. The slope is pretty steep and it can be hard on your knees, but if you hike slowly, you should have no problem.

Parked right next to the 5 mile marker. The only way in is to trespass a bit on the golf course. This hike was very dificult on my knees. There are some ledges at some point, but they can mostly be avoided.

well, I promised myself I wouldn't do it again, but decided that not only I'd do the north peak, but I'd work my way over to the tallest summit of the mountain. It was 3.1 miles to the north peak from the golf course..I then worked my way over to Mt. Mahogany summit of 9,000..I live beneath it and just wanted to stand up there once..worked my way down from there through the brush and trees and deer trails the best I could and finally made it to Timpanogos Cove Park (wife had to pick me up, feet were dead). Total distance 7.5 miles, total elevation gain 5,545 feet...coming down was pretty brutal, blisters, even with poles, but glad the dog and I did it..will download pics this week..

Quite an elevation gain over a short distance. A tough dig especially the last half mile to the top. Incredible views of the valley and time. A new favorite for sure.

The most accessible way to the trail is by trespassing on golf course land. I couldn't find a better way to get on. The trail is very steep, and loose. The good views don't start for a while, but once you get to almost the top the trail is cool. If you are running it, be prepared for some wrecked thighs.

Hiked this route this morning. Took about 2.5 hours to summit and 1 to return. This hike has portions which are incredibly steep, and the addition of the trail being largely loose dirt and rock makes for both a difficult ascent and descent.

This trail's one saving grace is its view into AF Canyon throughout the majority of the route. I was a little late for the autumn foliage, but I can imagine that it would be gorgeous in early October.

Super fun hike. Not for anyone that hasn't hiked quite a bit or is very active. I consistently run 50 miles a week and had to take many breaks on this hike. extremely steep. round trip is about 5.5-6 miles. this hike is no joke and I would consider it extremely difficult.

Tyler, we just moved here from the pacific northwest, we too stare at this mountain daily and decided to hike it as a warm up for Timp. Wow, it was steep, your description of the loose rocks and dirt was accurate. We parked at the gravel parking area just south of mile marker 5 on canyon road, and walked on the golf cart path north till we turned east to head up the trail. As was mentioned in an earlier post at times we weren't exactly sure if we were on the trail or not - just stick near the ridge line and you'll be ok. The views down into AF canyon were great. Our phone showed an elevation gain of nearly 4,000 feet and total round trip of 6.4 miles- I'm not sure why the discrepancies. FYI, there is somewhat of a false summit when you are working through the pines and bark trail, it feels like you must be hitting the north peak summit when you get there, but once you come out there's a few hundred more yards of easy walking to reach the top. Beautiful views of the surrounding mountains, and the valley between the east slope of Mahogany and Timp is green and beautiful - almost felt like we were in the northwest : ) Definitely steep and was tough on this old man's feet and legs on the way down through the steeper sections, I've never used poles but the descent made me want 'em..glad we're done...

This beta is really off. Elevation is about perfect but it's closer to 6miles round trip door-to-door. There's a small chain-link gate near where you should park, and a short jaunt near the golf course to get there. There's a couple gnarly steep sections - a total scree and loose rock fest closer to the beginning, and the very top is chock full of soft dirt and relentless pitch. We normally have a pretty brisk hiking pace (like 30minute miles on intense trails,) but we finished with an average of 46minute miles for this freaking hike. I'm glad we did it, since we have to look at it every day, but I will gladly never do it again. Beautiful views at the top though, no doubt.

Hiking poles HIGHLY recommended and if you bring a dog, make sure it has good discipline to not tempt the ridge too much - ours do not, so we had to have them leashed to us and it slowed things down considerably on the way down to their pulling. Total RT was just under 4.5 hours, pretty bad.

The name of this trail is incorrect. It is Canyon Nature Trail. The park staff had not even heard of "five senses nature trail". The path is short and a little uphill but overall nice.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

steep hiking from the start. Beautiful views and flowers. Tall pine area toward top especially pretty and very steep. About 3 hours round trip from golf course. Started at 530am, trail was in the shade the whole time except up on top, it made it very pleasant.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

GNARLY!! The trail was way to steep to ride up so I hiked my bike up. I didn't have time for the whole trail, because hiking with my bike takes longer. The ride down was INSANE! It was very technical and it was very scary on some of the turns. It made me nervous riding on the edge a few times. I need new brake pads now...

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Very steep. i didnt see anyone else on the trail. There are portions of the trail which provide unobstructed views from the ridge line which are very beautiful.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

The map and recorded track is for Mahogany Mountain North Peak not the five senses trail. Five senses is a nice easy walk with kids. Mahogany Mountain North Peak is a relentlessly step difficult trail for experienced hikers. Please don't follow the map expecting this to be the five senses trail. The mahogany Mountain trail gains 3000 feet in 2.5 Miles and has loose shell rock - great views but not a kid friendly trail.

Monday, November 14, 2016

woo! this trail kicked our butts! we gained 3000 feet in about 2.5 miles the way we went. didn't have time to go to the top though :( word of advice: if you're ever feeling lost, just go back up to the ridge. there's always a main trail there. also heard that you can do this hike from a trailhead in pleasant grove

Monday, November 14, 2016

5 miles r/t. Excellent training as its a stair stepper type hike from start to summit.
Beautiful ridge exposure trail nearly the entire time.
2 hrs to summit (85% max heart rate entire time), 1:30 to descend (65% max hr). took a 5 min. break at the top.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

This was a good hike, it was steep enough to get to the top quickly. It is a little difficult to find the trailhead. Go to the end or the golf course loop near the mountain and search for the trail right at the foot of the mountain.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Simple out and back. Paved. Had a few signs that help kids ID maple trees and scrub oak etc. This hike isn't a whole-day adventure, but rather a Sunday evening stroll with littles. 4 y/o liked looking for birds, and disappointed we didn't see any cougars. 3 y/o liked the signs.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Relentlessly steep, from start to finish its a good hard one. Trail becomes hard to locate at times but stick close to the ridge and you'll find it. The views on the way up are killer and from the top are just epic, you can see the great salt lake on a clear day!
Bring plenty of water and if possible pick a cool day to do this one on. If you wanna access this trail without crossing the edge of the golf course you have to cut through either the back or the far end. We found a way in with no "no trespassing" signs you just have to look.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

I hiked this trail yesterday, it is 3 miles to the summit of Mahogany north peak. The last mile is the steepest through the big pines. The views only get better the higher you get, into AF canyon, Utah county, Salt lake County. The snow was slushy so additional foot traction is recommended for early spring hiking. My micro spikes were perfect for the mud also. I would recommend treking poles for the way up to be more comfortable and safe.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Short, easy trail that has information of the local flora and fauna. Best to do this hike in conjunction with other hikes up American Fork Canyon.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

lame

Friday, June 12, 2015

To get to the trailhead, you'll have to walk along the golf cart path. It's situated just behind one of the greens. The best place to park would be just off of Canyon Road before mile marker 5. There's a gravel road that leads to a parking lot of sorts. You can walk to the trail head from there. It's best to look at it in satellite view on Google maps.

The trail itself runs right along the ridge of American Fork Canyon so you get nice views into the canyon and of the valley the higher up you get. The trail is pretty steep and has some difficult parts with loose rock to navigate through so it's not exactly suited for kids, but I suppose that depends on your kids. I only went half way up the trail before I ran out of light. Look forward to getting to the top next time.

Thursday, May 15, 2014

This is nothing more than a nature trail with some informative signs about the evosystem of AF canyon posted along the way.

recorded Five Senses Nature Trail