Lower Hackberry Canyon Trail

Lower Hackberry Canyon Trail is a 11.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kanab, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,932 feet Route Type: Out & Back

recorded Lower Hackberry Canyon Trail

Great hike. Watch for the cairns high up after 1 hour to spot the dinosaur.

The trailhead was so buggy, I thought we were in for a nightmare, but once you get on the trail there are none. The trail itself is straight-forward, as any are when I’m an obvious canyon. Truly beautiful. Very sandy. I had taken my shoes off for most of it because it was easier to walk barefoot. Feet were definitely worn out from trying to grip and uneven terrain the next day. Someone had mentioned quicksand. Luckily, I had no encounters with it (and neither did my puppy who covered a lot more ground than me), but that’s not to say it’s not there somewhere! It gets a little overgrown depending on how close to the riverbed you stay, but nothing major. We didn’t do the whole 11.8...did 8.2. It was starting to get dark, and as beautiful as it was, I didn’t anticipate there being a climax point.

The best part of this hike is seven miles up where you come to a rockfall. The first seven miles are full of prime hammock spots if you prefer to keep your pack light now ditch the tent for a hammock. My dog had the time of his life and so did I. Be careful for cacti, and as always make sure you check the weather. If weather looks questionable, make sure you camp at least 2.5 miles in where things open up and you can get up on higher and safer ground. I forgot to track the trip up, so be mindful the recording was downhill with water flow, and couple of breaks.

Absolutely a beautiful hike! My two dogs and I loved it! I especially loved the constant change of red rock from light pink to deep red. Also, be careful of quicksand if you try to walk in the stream during the hike. both my dogs and I got stuck in patches with one patch of quicksand enveloping me all the way to my hip and I'm 5ft 10 in and claimed my right shoe, so be careful and watch out.

Pretty nice hike along the creek, water was never more than a couple inches deep. After a couple miles in the cow pies are everywhere, including in the creek. Never saw cows but they are definitely there. Make sure to filter water carefully.

I enjoyed the trail. Definitely spent most of the trip with our feet in the water but never more than 2 inches. About a quarter of the way (maybe 3.5 miles?) in we encountered a homemade bar wire fence. It could easily be climbed over but we decided it was a good turning around point. Not sure what the fence was for, there weren't any signs on it. Someone we asked about it later said it might be to keep cattle out, but that was just a guess

Sunday, September 23, 2018

It’s a beautiful trail with low traffic! Shoes get wet and there are some slippery areas due to clay and sand. Looks like a flash flood prone area and I would recommend going after monsoon season! Pet friendly and secluded.

Friday, May 18, 2018

Your feet will get wet, it is a long washboard road but really worth it! did 2.5 miles, then the canyon widens

Friday, January 05, 2018

Happened upon this trail driving through on Cottonwood Canyon Rd. Hiked about 1.5 miles in with our two dogs. Trail is mostly flat through this area but with some heavy sand. Water was mostly frozen when we started around Noon on a January afternoon, so we opted to walk on it where it was solid instead of the sand. Some less frozen areas couldn't be avoided, especially on the way out, but waterproof shoes helped. Trail crosses back and forth across the water and wasn't always easy to spot. Loved the winding canyon, sound of water, and birds chirping. Would love to return to camp and do the full 11 miles.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

I thought this would be a great hike but I was surprised that this was one of the top 5 hikes I’ve ever done. We went up about 3 miles and the trees, water, and canyon walls were breathtaking. It’s a pretty easy hike...at lest the 6 miles round trip we completed.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Great surprise with this trail as the cool water was refreshing and the rocks were spectacular. I would not rate it difficult as long as you don't mind walking in some sand at the beginning. Very serene and private!

Saturday, October 08, 2016

walked about 3 miles upstream in October and it was the most spectacular hike of a week of hiking various trails near Kanab. Beautiful fall colors, just enough water to make it interesting and grand Canyon walls.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

The slot canyon was quite beautiful but do not expect to exit the canyon that way. Easier to find a game trail out of the canyon, if you plan on leaving through the north end. The north half has no water source so pack a good 6-7 liters. Wasn't the prettiest place to backpack but still worth a go at least once.

Thursday, August 02, 2018