Lower Calf Creek Falls Trail

Lower Calf Creek Falls Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Calf Creek Falls is one of the most well known and unique features in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. The trail follows Calf Creek to the 126' high falls. The hike is 6 miles round trip and takes average hikers 3-4 hours. Elevation change on the trail is minimal, but the trail is sandy and walking can be strenuous, especially in hot weather. In contrast, the falls provide a delightfully cool, shady haven which makes the hike well worth the effort.

The trail is very easy and the destination at the end is awesome! I would definitely do it again next time I'm in Escalante

Well marked trail. Easy terrain and dog friendly. You follow Calf Creek as it runs the length of the trail- very beautiful! Once you get to the falls it's shaded and sandy. Take a moment to sit in the sand and take it all in (:

We hiked this today, so great! Arrived about 11a, plenty of parking. Hot but not overbearing. The trail is well marked in a few points it's possible to go wrong way, just stay along side the creek. Many nice vistas. There is decent shade breaks even at mid day

The falls is awesome, the water not too deep, so easy to wade but be brave and go under!! Allow 3 1/2 hrs total. Long drive and road construction stops.

We loved this hike. It is now in our top 3 favorite hikes. We went on a Thursday morning around 11AM and both the trail and the waterfall didn't seem very busy.

Unfortunately, we underestimated how much water we would need for this hike. We recommend taking 2 water bottles per person, even if you don't usually drink a lot of water. It will be hot as there isn't a lot of shade along the trail.

We wore hiking shoes and took water shoes and when we got to the waterfall we played in the water. We didn't feel that it was necessary to bring a towel because we were completely dry before we finished the hike back to the parking lot.

This hike is family friendly but it is a long hike for little ones, so that's something to keep in mind. It's long and hot so if you take smaller children they are most likely going to complain a little along the way, but the destination is so worth it.

Overall, we would rate this hike 5 stars and we recommend anyone who is thinking of doing this hike to definitely do it.

To be fair, I love every trail I go on. Its beautiful. Juat do it.

Nice sandy hike for the most part of the trail. Minimal shade so don't forget the sunscreen. The waterfall is AMAZING! Too cold to swim though. All in all this hike was a blast!

We hiked this in mid-June at around 7am. The hike is not difficult, and the payoff is fantastic. We had the falls to ourselves for about an hour. The trail is very warm when it's not shaded, so make sure you and your dog have plenty of water.

Best word to describe the falls is WOW! Beautiful area and the falls are amazing. Water is cool and refreshing. Shortish hike. Easy incline. Did this with the scouts. Going to take the fam down next. Be sure to grab a trail map guide to show you where the cool stuff along the hike are. Petroglyphs are not to be missed. Nice and shady for part of the hike and around the falls. Bring plenty of water or filter. Don't let the heat get the best of you.

Spectacular waterfall that any outdoor enthusiast should experience. We brought our puppy with us and tried it at 1:30pm on July 2 however, the sand was WAY too hot for his paws so I had to carry him back to the parking lot on my shoulders. (Which was almost a mile!) We went in to the town of Escalante and bought a wax called "Musher's Secret" at one of the local outdoorsman stores and woke up at 7am the next morning to tackle the trail. It took us about 2 hours to reach the Falls and the sand was still cool to the touch. On the way back, around 11am or so, the sand was pretty hot but the wax worked great for him. Just had to stop at each Creek entrance to let him cool down to avoid heat exhaustion. This is all just for someone considering taking their dog to the falls in the summer. I wish I would have had this advice before I put him through that pain on the first attempt. Great hike! Getting in the pool is SO refreshing after hiking in the desert heat! And the view of the waterfall will stay in my mind for a lifetime!

Overall this was an easy trail, the sand and sun make it tough. I had to dump out all the sand in my shoes and socks at the waterfall and again at the parking lot. I would not recommend bringing a stroller, we saw a family that did and had to leave it behind for part of the trail. The waterfall at the end was gorgeous! The parking lot is small and fills up quick.