Lower Calf Creek Falls Trail

Lower Calf Creek Falls Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Calf Creek Falls is one of the most well known and unique features in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. The trail follows Calf Creek to the 126' high falls. The hike is 6 miles round trip and takes average hikers 3-4 hours. Elevation change on the trail is minimal, but the trail is sandy and walking can be strenuous, especially in hot weather. In contrast, the falls provide a delightfully cool, shady haven which makes the hike well worth the effort.

Nice sandy hike for the most part of the trail. Minimal shade so don't forget the sunscreen. The waterfall is AMAZING! Too cold to swim though. All in all this hike was a blast!

We hiked this in mid-June at around 7am. The hike is not difficult, and the payoff is fantastic. We had the falls to ourselves for about an hour. The trail is very warm when it's not shaded, so make sure you and your dog have plenty of water.

Best word to describe the falls is WOW! Beautiful area and the falls are amazing. Water is cool and refreshing. Shortish hike. Easy incline. Did this with the scouts. Going to take the fam down next. Be sure to grab a trail map guide to show you where the cool stuff along the hike are. Petroglyphs are not to be missed. Nice and shady for part of the hike and around the falls. Bring plenty of water or filter. Don't let the heat get the best of you.

Spectacular waterfall that any outdoor enthusiast should experience. We brought our puppy with us and tried it at 1:30pm on July 2 however, the sand was WAY too hot for his paws so I had to carry him back to the parking lot on my shoulders. (Which was almost a mile!) We went in to the town of Escalante and bought a wax called "Musher's Secret" at one of the local outdoorsman stores and woke up at 7am the next morning to tackle the trail. It took us about 2 hours to reach the Falls and the sand was still cool to the touch. On the way back, around 11am or so, the sand was pretty hot but the wax worked great for him. Just had to stop at each Creek entrance to let him cool down to avoid heat exhaustion. This is all just for someone considering taking their dog to the falls in the summer. I wish I would have had this advice before I put him through that pain on the first attempt. Great hike! Getting in the pool is SO refreshing after hiking in the desert heat! And the view of the waterfall will stay in my mind for a lifetime!

Overall this was an easy trail, the sand and sun make it tough. I had to dump out all the sand in my shoes and socks at the waterfall and again at the parking lot. I would not recommend bringing a stroller, we saw a family that did and had to leave it behind for part of the trail. The waterfall at the end was gorgeous! The parking lot is small and fills up quick.

Great waterfall

After days of red rocks in my life, I was craving some water and this hike did the trick! As others have noted, it does get hot, so bring sunscreen and water -- and wear your swimsuit if you want to take a refreshing dip in the falls. There is *some* shade along the way. The parking lot and trail can get packed by 10am, so start early if you can. Pay the $5 day fee and display the stub in your windshield before you set off (envelopes available at the info board right before the trailhead). Or, display your annual parks pass on the dash -- although mine melted it was so hot!

Spectacular hike, amazed by our surroundings. Blown away by the waterfall. From the parking lot 7 miles. Suggest starting at sunrise, to get to the waterfall and have time to take it all in. This allows your hike out more enjoyable!

Start between 7-8 am during summer to walk 3 miles into the back valley with more shade before sun comes over the rock walls. Also to get a parking spot. There are many sand patches but leave your hiking shoes on because of rocks and twigs. Don't miss the petroglyphs and rainbow trout. The waterfall is beautiful surrounded by a tall half dome of rock. This is a desert oasis at the end of trail. Water is freezing, record was 3 minutes someone could withstand chest deep

Wonderful hike through a desert canyon. The reward at the end is breathtaking. Bring plenty of water. I suggest a minimum of two liters. Go early to avoid the crowd.