Lower Calf Creek Falls Trail

Lower Calf Creek Falls Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Calf Creek Falls is one of the most well known and unique features in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. The trail follows Calf Creek to the 126' high falls. The hike is 6 miles round trip and takes average hikers 3-4 hours. Elevation change on the trail is minimal, but the trail is sandy and walking can be strenuous, especially in hot weather. In contrast, the falls provide a delightfully cool, shady haven which makes the hike well worth the effort.

53 minutes ago

easy and really pretty. went with small dog. he was just fine. fairly heavy traffic but nothing too bad.

Very nice but sandy hike, probably where the moderate rating comes from. The falls are beautiful and would be great for swimming in the summer. In the spring, the weather is nice. Make sure to get a trail map as there are some facts that correspond on the map and stops on the hike. Wonderful hike!

Hike was great in March! Weather was warm but not too hot. There are a lot of shady spots along the way, and I saw people of all skill levels on this trail - including little kids and people in there 70's. And the payoff at the end of the trail is awesome!

Pros - nice and mostly gentle terrain, Great end spot, shady spots, good amount of ecosystems covered, not too much elevation change so good for hikers of all skill levels. Well used trail - lots of people - pro or con!

Cons - lots of sand on parts of the trail, got lost at a couple spots coming back - trail isn't well marked in those spots (we quickly found out way back), trail can be crowded at times.

Tips - bring water and sunscreen and a bathing suit in the summer time.
For people with bad knees (like me) walking sticks are helpful in spots.

Such a fun hike. The falls at the end is so rewarding. It's rated as moderate, but most was fairly easy. We got to the falls in less than an hour. Temperatures stayed around 35-40*. My husband and I only saw a few other hikers. This time of the year is worth it if you want to beat the crowds. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

I did this trail in late July. I started at 8am and had no trouble parking. When I returned to my car, though, there were people just idling in the lot waiting for a spot, so get there early!

The hike itself is pretty flat and stays relatively cool because it follows a river through a canyon. Watch out for critters in the brush, I got creeped out more than once doing this trail alone. The falls are spectacular! Take a swim, but be warned that it's snow melt and is freezing cold! I spent a couple hours swimming and the drying out in the sun and repeating. The area surrounding the waterfall and the pool at its base are all fine sand.

Around 11 a lot of people started started showing up, so I left. On my way back, I encountered a lot of families; it looked like it was going to get pretty crowded.

Wonderful trail. Many colors of sandstone from almost white to red. Green trees and a beautiful waterfall with a multi-colored pool and if you are fortunate a blue sky with fluffy white clouds but unfortunately not today. Only saw five people on the trail instead of the endless like of people in the summer. Great time to visit this time of year and have the waterfall all to yourself and be able to take pictures with no-one in the pool.

This is a easy fun trail. I hiked it on 12/17/2016 and found it enjoyable though a little chilly which was expected. I only saw one couple throughout the whole hike.

Awesome. I would rate it as beginner. Easily hiked by all age levels. Waterfall is amazing.