Lower Bells Canyon Reservoir and Bell Canyon Lower Falls

Lower Bells Canyon Reservoir and Bell Canyon Lower Falls is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

rock climbing

To preface my review, it’s important to note that I am 3 months post ACL and meniscus surgery. That being said I loved this hike, until the end. The end at the waterfall, even after the last .25-.5 mike of hard climbing over rocks, was difficult for me to manage with the knee. It is a beautiful hike that is doable for many skill sets.

The views on this hike are amazing!! The hike to get to the reservoir is pretty easy and less than a mile. Just passed the reservoir, there a little trails you can take to get an amazing view of the valley!! Now the signs to the waterfall are wrong. They say it’s about 1.2 miles but it’s longer than that and the last .25-.4 miles of the waterfall hike and straight up on rocks. It was pretty tough but the views were so so worth it. The waterfall was beautiful and also had amazing views of the valley too. Definitely recommend this!!!

Beautiful views. Wear proper shoes!

This trail was amazingly beautiful this time around, I loved every second of it.

I was pretty disappointed by this hike. It was far more strenuous in the beginning than I expected. It’s extremely treacherous the first .5 mile or so, mostly because there’s so much loose gravel and a huge incline over a short period. The loose gravel made coming back down really hard and scary. The views are definitely pretty, but I hate hikes with huge stretches of loose gravel. That’s really what killed it for me. I should add, I took my four kids with me, who are all awesome hikers, and my 4 year old couldn’t do the first part by himself. The steps up were too high for his little legs. So I was helping him up most of the time. I will say, once you get to the lake it’s a piece of cake.

I would like to start by saying this hike is absolutely beautiful! Towards the beginning it’s shorter trees with more sun and less shade. The trail is small and surrounded by trees, plants, bushes, flowers... all the way to the very top. As you hike further, the trail gets a bit steeper, and is so much more rewarding, as the sun beams through the tall, thick trees you’re walking past. You hike along the river/stream for most of the trail, crossing it a few times along the way. Once at the top, the waterfall is rushing wildly this time of year. And the view of the valley down the canyon is spectacular. So beautiful! And such a wonderful trail! No muddy trails this time of year. I would also like to mention the gorgeous woman we walked past on our way down, with eyes ever so stunning and radiant... I nearly tripped over my feet and tumbled all the way down. Oddly, that would’ve been okay, since I just peered into heaven. :D ;)

Great trail with beautiful views. Really nice workout and very rewarding at the end. The incline is steep but worth it! I love the meadows after the hill at the beginning and really enjoyed the amazing view of the valley and waterfall at the top. I will definitely be doing this hike again.

Great trail

Beautiful. Hiked up to the lower reservoir and lower falls. Would have called an easy hike but the last 0.5 mile makes it moderate with rapid elevation and very rocky terrain. Great views! Waterfall was beautiful!

Beautiful hike the entire way loved it

Super pretty, and the views of the mountains are beautiful.

two thumbs up I even had a four year old and she hiked it with no problem.

30% Running Trails 70% Walking up tough trails. If you decided to bring the family yes is fun, around the lake is a nice trail walk.

Loved this trail. Gets rough at first, but stick it through. It's minimal, and the payoff at the end is worth it. The lake is peaceful and feels tucked away. From not far away you can hear the waterfall. I think to myself... next time... waterfall.

Really enjoyed this hike. The lake is beautiful. Not hard at all. Can't wait to go back next week.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Monday, June 05, 2017

Beautiful. One of my favorite hikes so far. The crowds tend to thin out after the lower falls. Bring plenty of water and good shoes. It's rocky and really steep.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Saturday, May 13, 2017

I'm giving this a 4 star because it doesn't follow the river very closely. The last bit up to the upper falls I would say is very difficult but my lungs are also not used to the elevation. The big water fall is very beautiful though! My husband and I are in our mid-30's and pretty fit, we did the 5 miles in a little under 2 1/2 hours.