Lost Creek Falls Trail

Lost Creek Falls Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lost Creek Falls is an out and back trail located in Provo Canyon. The trailhead is just off of Highway 189 and it is a easy-moderate hike to the waterfall. This trail is not very well known as it is overshadowed by Bridal Veil Falls. Avoid in winter and early spring as avalanches are frequent.

This wasn’t a bad hike. It’s definitely not kid friendly so I wouldn’t take your little ones. If you don’t read the description make sure to follow your map. It is easy to get confused. I enjoyed it but won’t do it again..

First part of this hike I'd say 3/4 of a mile kind of boring after that be ready for an adventure. I recommend not giving up on this one. You pretty much are walking in the river most of the time. Very rocky and pretty steep. The waterfall at the end is nothing short of amazing. Its a three drop waterfall. You can climb up to reach the top waterfall very easily but coming down not so much. Watch out for snakes. I did see four on this trail. I must say to the one person who climbed up this hike and wrote some messages on a few rocks near the couch area I know how you feel. Its not easy and don't give up.

It was a pretty boring trail until you hit the creek which was a lot more fun. Pretty view of bridal veil but nothing you can’t see from the highway. No one else on the trail which was nice. The stone couch was a nice place for a picnic.

Our favorite hike! It starts on a dirt road with a pretty intense uphill walk but opens up onto a creek running down the mountain. You can go as far as you want up the mountain following along the creek. It goes quite a ways! Nicely shaded in the afternoon.

Went for an evening hike. Not a single soul but our group. First part is pretty steep, then turns into a walk along the stream. We crossed at several points, but that wasn't necessary. Saw a few snakes, so be aware of what's on the trail. Overall, nothing spectaculat, but still a nice getaway that avoids the crowds at other more popular trails.

This trail is pretty lame up until you get to the creek. Before the creek its a pretty steep slant with the only good view being behind you of bridal veil falls. However, once you start going up the creek (following the little cairns along the way) you can see some pretty amazing smaller waterfalls and river formations.

Pretty creek at the top, but not really worth the effort put in to get there.

Guys, this is actually a cool hike, but do know that the AllTrails map is wrong. Once you hit the creek just follow it up (unless you want you build a fire at the cool fire pit near the end of the AllTrails path), It's definitely a scramble as you travel up the creek. It gets more primitive as you travel further up. I was glad I went with my brother -he helped me up and down the hardest parts. I definitely got my fair share of scrapes though. Careful of the loose rocks! We saw three different waterfalls though that are all worth seeing in person.
I recorded it and took pictures along the way, would recommend if you're up for a scramble!

My first AllTrails trail! Me and my 3yr dog did it in a span of about 2 hrs 45 minutes. we are both pretty out of shape it was the first hike I have done in about a year and it was pretty difficult for me . It's fairly steep on what seems to have been an old Service Road. There were only two people we saw the whole time and that was on the way down. The view of bridal veil Falls was really beautiful to look at, however, this Trail itself wasn't anything too exciting and we probably won't come back to this one.

Not really worth it. The trail takes you along a fence line and most of the trail is actually more of a straight line, uphill service road. That plus the close proximity to the highway make it a very ugly trail. The Creek was neat and the view of Bridal Veil Falls was great, but the waterfall was a real let down. It was just a small trickle and we were there in the spring.

So that hike is only good for if you want to go up a steep steep mile! The falls aren’t even falls! We were freakin lied too. I was deceived by the pictures that are featured. Those aren’t the falls. The falls featured are called Bridal Veil Falls. The water is barely trickling down the rocks.

Super steep but great views. Rock Sofa at the top is a must! Fun short hike. Watch out for rattle snakes

Kinda boring to be honest. It’s almost winter time, so come by on a Saturday to walk through the construction to get to the hike. The creek is pretty, but the falls at the end are literally water trickling down rock slower than my fridge puts out drinking water.

Trail is currently closed due to some kind of construction and heavy machinery passing through, we were asked politely to leave and to spread the word.

Good hike with a pretty steep hike up to the falls but it was well worth it.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Beautiful but treacherous! We had a hard time finding the parking lot. We ended up parking at Nunn's park, taking Great Western Trail, and then going right where that trail ends. Keep walking until you see the graffiti shack and turn left. This does add some time but worth it if you can't find the parking. The beginning of the trail is steep, but don't let that disappoint you. Once you reach the river you mostly fall it up the whole way. The trail will end and you'll have to climb up the the river the rest of the way. It's unclear which waterfall is the "one". You can pretty much keep hiking until you're out of your comfort zone as it does get pretty steep and you're hiking up lose gravel. Be prepared for your shoes to get wet as you hobble across the river. Overall it was a great hike, definitely challenging at times...save your ankles and wear something supportive. Didn't see a single soul the whole 3 1/2 hrs it took.

Friday, July 14, 2017

Absolutely the worst "trail" I've been on in Utah county. It's a steep incline most of the way, and looks like an old service road. You hear traffic and see graffiti on the way. This was anything but natural and peaceful. Ugly, boring, and did not pay off. Go somewhere else; there are so many more beautiful and fun options around! Skip this, unless you are with someone you don't like...then take them.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

this was a fun little hike! it was hard to find at first. the trail head is a little dirt road RIGHT across from bridal veil falls. you have to pass bridal veil then make a U-turn. you have to go past the "road closed"sign on for them about an 1/8 mile up, you see that shed in the pictures. Follow that road up the mountain. it's very steep here with little shade in the morning and early afternoon. You'll reach a point where there is a bit of a fork with a water hate to the right. Stay left with the trail. You will reach the river. it was flowing really well! once you get to the river, just stay along the river. the trail map says to cross it but that trail leads to nothing. just follow the trail up the river and there will be beautiful flowers are some cool falls coming off the cliffs. not very big, but still fun!
This was a beautiful hole and we were the only ones on it (it's the Fourth of July!!!). the river keep the trail nice and cool once we reached it, and my 2 year old nephew has a lot of fun (riding on Dad's back). all in all we took about 2 hours to go up, have fun, come back down. I'd say the first part is really tough but once you reach the river, it's great!!! it's a great little hike for families and just getting back into shape.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

To get to the bigger and prettier falls we had to scramble along the creek bed, which was a bit sketchy on the slippery rocks sometimes. Super fun. A challenge.

Friday, June 23, 2017

The first time I tried it I was on the right path but then realized I wasn't following the trail as it's shown on AllTrails. So I went back down before reaching the falls only to be disappointed that the marked trail here just dead-ends. The second attempt I reached the falls. Lots of bouldering and loose rocks to reach the actual falls. The first attempt I only saw 4 other hikers as I was coming down. The second time I saw no one.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Really nice hike...very quiet, no other hikers when we went...serene

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Lost Creek Falls is a short and steep day hike best left to experienced hikers. The parking area is not obvious, but hit "DIRECTIONS" from within the AllTrails app and then Google Maps will take you to the correct place. When you reach the turn in the trail (where it crosses the creek), instead of following the trail to a dead end, continue following the creek until you reach the falls or don't want to hike anymore. I reached a waterfall just above the 6068 contour line. Watch out for snakes! I encountered a massive one nearby the waterfall (see picture).

Also, if you do follow the trail where it bends, as suggested by the official route, you will find an impressive fire pit overlooking Bridal Veil Falls.

Overall, good hike. But if you are looking for a waterfall hike, I recommend more Bridal Veil Falls Trail for a short hike and Stewart Falls Trail for a longer hike.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

great hike without a lot of people on the trail. starts steep but then as you walk up the river it becomes a gradual incline. pretty creek to explore--no major waterfalls just lots of little falls.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Loved it! Bring good hiking boots if you want to hike up the river to avoid bad ankle twists. I’ve hiked it twice now: once in May then again in July. The spring was better for this hike because the shrubs hadn’t overgrown too much yet, but summer was still very enjoyable too, just a lot harder to hike up with so much overgrowth.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

The trail is somewhat short, steep, and undefined at times, but that can be a good thing. The waterfall at the top is way cooler than pictures can show, as the whole area near the top is full of falls and cool things. When we got to the falls we were past the red line on the map that turned to the right. To get to the falls just follow the creek until you get to the top.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Took the family up here today and we loved it! It was steep but totally worth it. The creek was awesome. Not too cold yet either! We did feel like the hike could have ended once you get past the creek and to the little rock couch area. It's about 1.2 miles round trip that way. We hiked past it to the end and there wasn't much there and the trail is a bit washed away. The trailhead isn't marked but if you follow the map it's on the left hand side when you go up Provo Canyon. It's a small gravel road with a small dirt parking area. You just walk up the gravel road past the gate and head upwards once you see a small maintenance shack with graffiti all over it.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Couldn't find the trailhead. Pretty hike though!

Monday, October 03, 2016

It's a straight up steep hike. Once you get up to the water it is fun to explore, but don't expect a good trail. It's still a lot of fun to explore. I'll definitely do it again except I want to see how high up the canyon I can go.

Monday, August 29, 2016

I loved this hike totally worth going! just be prepared to take a sharp right off of the freeway at a high speed a rate lol