Lookout Peak is a 7.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,811 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail climbs out of Affleck Park rising to the ridge where it meets the Little Mountain trail and the Killyons Canyon trail. At this intersection, you turn north and gradually climb to the summit. From the top, this peak offers great views of Emigration canyon to the west and Grandview Peak to the north.

This trail is at the top of my favorites list, with absolutely incredible panoramas and wildflower viewing. I'm not the most experienced/fit hiker but this trail seems more "hard" than "moderate" to me. Most of the trail is along the ridgeline and is very exposed, not to mention uphill. As of May 19, the snow pack borders the trail but does not cover it. The solitude factor here is great. I didn't see another person after leaving the Affleck campground and only one set of footprints on the trail. Bring more snacks than you think you'll need, warm layers, and a wildflower identification book if that's your thing. I started at 4pm, took my time going up, reached the summit around 7pm and ran most of the way down to beat the dark. I'll be back, but next time I'll start earlier!

5.16.20 - great hike with spectacular views. The last .75 miles are pretty steep, but worth it. It was quite cold on the ridge line once on the top.

closed

Just got back from hiking/running this one, so far one of my favorite trails in this area. The views are unbelievable once you get up on the ridge. I unfortunately had no view at the summit though because clouds rolled in and I could barely see 20m in front of me. Current conditions are a little muddy at the beginning, nice dry and rocky through the middle segment, and snow at the summit. The last stretch to the summit you have to post-hole a bit in others' footsteps, there's probably a foot of snow in some spots but it's quite manageable. I followed the route on the map exactly, starting at Affleck park. I made one mistake, there's a fork about a mile in, just make sure you go right, it's the cleanest and most obvious trail, just take that. I was foolish and used my GPS tracker and it said I was off course so I went straight, only to realize that put me even farther off and I had to backtrack to the fork. Hardly anyone does this trail it seems, but it's amazing. I saw a couple bow hunters and only one other hiker, and there were not many footsteps at the summit. I definitely recommend this one.

You can do Lookout Peak in multiple ways, but this morning I went up from Affleck Park, as is shown here. Note that at about a mile from the start the trail comes to an intersection where you need to take a sharp right, which is not marked or signed for Lookout Peak. OK hike. The first mile and a half is a little boring, but once you get up on the ridgeline, there are excellent views. There are a bunch of false peaks before you get to the end -- someone really screwed up on the topography here, but what are you going to do? Wildlife sightings included 1 moose, 2 herds of deer and 1 trail runner. The moose gave me major stink eye, but the trail runner smiled at me. AllTrails does not show this option on the map, but I think this would be nicer as loop starting at Big Mountain Pass, and ending at Affleck Park. From Big Mountain, you would be saving a lot of elevation gain, but the distance would be longer. Doing it as a loop, you would probably want two cars, as the trailheads are close to 4 miles apart.

Great views from the top with a few steep sections getting there! There were a few spots with some mud, but nothing that bad and as soon as it becomes more exposed to the sun your in the clear. Still a decent number of snow patches nearing the top, not obstructing trail however. I parked a couple hundred feet north of the campground entrance in a turnout since the gate was closed. Be sure to make sure you get on the right trail, it’s behind campsite #36.

Tue Jun 04 2019

Extremely great hike. Went June 1st and it was pretty muddy for the first half but then cleared up when you get to the switch backs

Fri May 31 2019

awesome hike! great view! still a little snow and mud from run off. long

Mon May 27 2019

Thu Nov 22 2018

It's a good trail with little no shade. Didn't have time to quite get to the peak after a loop hike but was within 1/4 mile

Sun Oct 21 2018

This was a fun and scenic trail that surprisingly doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. The highpoint of the area, Lookout Peak looks across North to the towering Wasatch range, training the eye into the Salt Lake Valley and in the far east the High Uintahs. A clearly defined trail, you will start out in the Affleck campground. and make your way up to the peak. All the snow was virtually melted when I was there. :-) _/|\_

Sun Aug 26 2018

As soon as you get past the initial forest area, this trail is gorgeous. I didn't see any smoke from the forest fires or anyone else on this hike. If you even somewhat like nature, this trail will be enjoyable.

Sun Aug 26 2018

Hmm, I was there yesterday afternoon/evening. The trail is fun. Has some steep sections and nice view in all directions. It is sun exposed and dry now; in August, it's not quite as pretty as in June when it is more green, but I like it a lot. And contrary to Eliz (below) it wasn't smokey. Leaves are starting to change, some nice pinks down low, saw a few horned tailed lizards just when I got to the ridge, a large animal moved in the oaks to my left (probably Sasquatch) and saw signs of coyote and moose. I like this trail a lot and the biggest bonus. Saw no one else on the trail the whole evening.

Sat Aug 25 2018

A meh trail that might have been more worthwhile had the smoke not obstructed the views at the top. Getting to the top, however, wasn't really a pretty hike though. Don't think I'll ever do it again.

Tue May 30 2017

More easily accessible in the Spring than Grandview which lies just to the north. Beautiful views in every direction.

recorded Lookout Peak