Longbow Arch Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(56)
Moab, Utah

Longbow Arch Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 439 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From the center of Moab, travel north on Highway 191 for 5.9 miles and turn left on Highway 279. Continue 6 miles from this junction until you reach the "Dinosaur Tracks" sign, where the route leaves the pavement. The parking lot is at the top of this hill.

Fun rock climbing at the beginning, surreal mars like landscape and soft sand make this hike enjoyable. My watch said 2.5 miles out and back.

I loved this trail! I’m a local to Moab and am always looking for new trails. It’s a mile up and a mile back which is the perfect distance for me; not too long but not too short. It is VERY sandy which can be a bit annoying or hard to walk in. I wore chacos, so I didn’t mind it at all. We started as the sun was setting so most of the trail was in the shade but I’m sure if we went earlier it would’ve been sunny on us the whole way. There were spots that I had to stand still to find the trail, but so long as you are intentionally following the green paint streaks you’ll be just fine. There are also petroglyphs and easy to spot dinosaur tracks! Well worth your time.

Great trail! One of our favorites with all the different sceneries. Definitely a bit harder in the beginning, very rocky. The trail markers are hard to find.

Loved this hike - saw no one on the trail around mid day on Feb 28. The markers are very tricky to spot - I couldn't figure out the Dino track path the lopp around so I doubled back after starting Longbow. It did feel long, but I attribute that to the sense of consistently wondering if I was getting lost and not having anyone around the gauge from!

After parking, we went to the right past the restroom & a little scramble up to see all the petroglyphs (amazing!!) & then zig zagged our way up a little opening to get to the trail (look for the hand holds hammered into the rock). The rest of the trail was a nice meander thru a wash & over rocks to get to the arch. Look for the green dots on the rocks to stay on the trail (we lost it a few times). We opted to return part of the way on the Jeep trail-boring but some nice views.

Lost the trail a few times so luckily I downloaded the AllTrails map. But so worth it. We saw the petroglyphs and dinosaur tracks along the way. Kids loved that! One you see the arch you have to hike all the way up to see it’s actually an arch! So fun. Highly recommended

great hike. wife and I did it in a few hours. little bit of climbing involved but not much. lots of traction. pretty easy. would recommend it

Sun Jun 02 2019

Sandy parts, not a lot of shade but otherwise an easy, well marked trail. I started my hike at 9am on a Saturday and didn't see any one the whole time. Lots of cactus blooms this time of year.

Thu May 16 2019

Great trail, though there are a few sandy parts which were kinda annoying to hike through. The arch at the end is pretty cool and worth the hike

Thu Apr 11 2019

Stayed at Williams Bottom Campground and headed out from there. Was comfortable and peaceful. Some sandy wash areas that slowed me down, but overall nice hike from camp. Round trip taking my time. 3 hours.

Sun Mar 31 2019

Nice easy and fun hike after seeing the Dino tracks and petroglyphs at Poison Spider trail.

Sun Mar 31 2019

This was an amazing fall hike! So glad we found it, one of my favorites!

Sat Mar 23 2019

This trail totally caught me off guard.. I would not call this trail easy based on a few things. The first little bit of the trail is on very loose rock pieces on very narrow sections of trail. Secondly there is a part where you have to scramble up slick rock and use metal handrails to get up. The base where you stand isn’t exactly level. Getting down was a nightmare because it had started raining and hailing and you have no idea if your feet are going to slip on the rails or the slick rock. After you get past this part it actually is easy and pretty. But be aware of the trail at all times... because we got caught in the rain we kept getting turned around on the way back as parts of the trail were now obscured with water or straight up creek/river crossings. There are little to no cairns to follow but instead look for bright green footprint shaped markings to follow. A few have all but washed away over time and can be easy to miss. I did enjoy this trail but felt the reviews were deceiving.

Sun Mar 17 2019

Although this trail doesn’t directly take you pass the dinosaur tracks or petroglyphs, definitely take the extra to time to view them at the very start of this hike near the trailhead. The hike to Longbow Arch was across wide smooth rocks and along an empty riverbed. At the very end it gets a little scramble-y as you head up to the arch. Sometimes the trail was hard to follow, so make sure you pay attention to the cairns and green paint marks so you don’t go off course. Nevertheless, I’d rate this hike as easy compared to the other hikes in the area. You get great views of the surrounding red rock cliffs and also of the La Sal Mountains, which in March were covered in snow!

Sun Mar 03 2019

Fun easy hike we continued up the wash and explored further. Had a great view of the Colorado River

Mon Feb 11 2019

Super easy hike. Follow the green dash marks painted on the rocks. The best part is not the arch in my opinion. I recommend hiking further down the canyon that the arch is in and check out the views of the La Sals with the “beyond the rocks” rocks in the forefront. The contrast is absolutely stunning in the winter.

Tue Nov 20 2018

It was a nice hike. We were alone once we left the petroglyphs. Easy enough for our 8 year old.

Thu Sep 27 2018

Did this hike in late morning, had the place pretty much to ourselves. Very dry dessert hike, crossing over slick rock and petrified sand dunes. Once at the Arch found a cool shaded area to have lunch in complete solitude! Loved it!

Thu Aug 23 2018

Fun hike, a bit of scrambling in the beginning, follow the green marks on the path when available. There are other trails in the area so you could easily follow the wrong one (I believe they all go back to parking lot) There are some sections that are sandy. The trail ends right under the arch where you can take a little break. Trail was private and views were great.

Sat Jul 07 2018

super hike, a little scrambling. nice views along the way; but the arch is mediocre at best as far as arches goes. awesome spot for sunset!! never see people here. don’t miss the petroglyphs just beyond the dino tracks before the trails separate.

Mon May 28 2018

This trail has it all dinosaur tracks, Petroglyphs, and a large Arch at the end.

Sun Apr 22 2018

Amazing landscape if you can make it to the other side.

Mon Feb 26 2018

Unique hike with lots of sandy trails plus a couple steeper rocky parts that were a little tricky with 12 and 2 year old Golden Retrievers but since I am able to lift it all worked out...and my 9 and 11 year old daughters liked it!

Mon Feb 19 2018

This hike was awesome! I loved how secluded and private it was. The arch was totally worth the hike, and there were lots of other amazing scenic spots along the way.

Sat Dec 30 2017

just wanted to post an FYI for others who perhaps saw this hike as "dog-friendly" on discover Moab... don't attempt it alone with dogs you couldn't hold in one arm. right after trail breaks off from dinosaur tracks one, you're faced with a short climb. it isn't far at all, and there are handles built into rock for humans..but I have two dogs of medium size that are GREAT at scrambling and hiking and neither could get up this incline. (they had both just done Corona Arch and scrambled at the two places where there's ropes/ladder for humans) it was a little too tall for me to lift them up, and I was alone so we weren't able to get beyond this spot.

Fri Nov 17 2017

Packs a lot of punch for a 2 1/2 mile hike ... Dinosaur tracks, petroglyphs and an arch. The trail itself is alright. More sand than I expected. Still, I'm glad I did it.