Long Canyon OHV Route

Long Canyon OHV Route is a 15 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 15.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,253 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

Short SUV drive through gorgeous canyon Outstanding views from top to bottom. A great shortcut when returning to Moab from Dead Horse Point State Park or Canyonlands National Park. Open all year weather permitting. Best time to go: Spring and Fall. Located on BLM land. For current status call Bureau of Land Management, Moab Field Office at (435) 259-2100. Rating: Easy. A wide gravel road except through Pucker Pass where it is narrow and steep. Except when damaged by heavy rain, this road is suitable for stock 4-wheel-drive vehicles.

off road driving

Maybe its just my limited jeeping experience but i feel like this should be rated as moderate. Or at least the upper section. Luckily I was going down the trail because there is no way I would have made it the other way. My trail rated compass managed it but I genuinely do not see how you could drive that road in its entirety with anything less. Aside from that, it was an amazing drive. Beautiful views, amazing scenery.

I would rate this as a moderate trail. Road is more difficult to Navigate than the nearby shafers trail or Gemini bridges which are rated as moderate. Road is mostly easy, but has one moderate / difficult part in the middle... which is under the fallen rock and then just above 100m up the road from The rock.. I suspect the above part has recently crumbled as bit more from use. Regardless it is a fun and scenic little track. Also there is free dispersed camping at the top... about 2.5 miles away from the road leading to dead horse state park. Just make sure to stay at an established camp areas and pack out your waste. Completed track in a stock land cruiser 2000

off road driving

Very good trail for a beginner. Scenic route through the canon with only one area of moderate difficulty. Stock Jeep should be perfectly. The step is at the top of the peak, so the very beginning or end depending on which direction you are going. We started at the top and worked our way down. No difficulty whatsoever, however as we were getting started a pickup truck had gotten himself stuck. After bumping it quite hard we were able to continue on our way with no trouble. Completed in stock 2018 Jeep Moab edition. No lockers.

off road driving

We drive this in a stock Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk. Started the route from 313, so we went downhill (following the advice of others on Alltrails). The 'Rock' was a little challenging and I had to get out to check ground clearance, but the JGC handled it no problem. It was pretty cool, and stop to see the petroglyphs on 279 the way back to town!

off road driving

Fairly easy trail aside from the tight canyon section. Only one washout under the fallen boulder requiring high clearance. Difficulty on par with Gemini Bridges. For an easy day off road take Gemini out of Moab and take Long Canyon back to town.

off road driving

I would not drive to Moab for this trail alone, but it's a fun little trail to not-too-quickly return to Moab from Deadhorse Park area. Highlights include driving under huge, fallen boulder and through a little slot canyon.

Trail in good shape.

off road driving

Breathtaking views!! There’s a tight spot and lots of close cliffs, but overall worth it!

off road driving

2018 GMC Denali Sierra 1500 1/2 ton 6inch lift. Trail was no problem and well maintained. Only 2 parts that were anything harder than easy and the main one is going under the rock. I went up hill instead of coming in off 313 which has you going downhill. I have done this each way and I thought downhill was more fun.

off road driving

The "washout" is not that bad. I drove the trail twice this weekend. Made the entire trial in a completely stock 2wd 97 suzuki sidekick with bald tires, loaded with camping gear and three passengers. Great view from the top!

We decided to take the trail from the bottom up. Everything was fine until we hit the leaning rock. When going up, the slick rock has very large ruts going into it, so heed caution. We had to turn around our Jeeps (WK2 and KL) at that spot and go back down.

off road driving

I would not rate this trail as moderate, it is very easy drive. Incredible valley and canyon views. Loved the rock over the road. Recommended run, we ran it on the way back to SLC.

off road driving

That was an amazing experience. I entered the road off 313 made the trip eastbound and I believe was the better choice with my Silverado, was all downhill. There are a few hairy spots and there’s the fallen boulder “under pass” that I just got through, loved it !!

off road driving

Beautiful easy drive, only passed one person

off road driving

This trail is definitely a must to check out one of the many lower canyons in the Moab area. Vertical rock climbing can be done at a small turn-out about midway through. The drive thru the fallen rock on the trail is awesome and not a problem with almost any off road 4x4, plenty of clearance. If you start at Deadhorse, it's downwards to the canyon bottom. From Potash road, it's flat then working upwards. Nice climb. Pretty smooth trail. Worth while...

off road driving

Long Canyon is an easy trail that winds through a canyon and then plateau's. Despite being so easy it is one to check out because it's beautiful and obviously the rock bridge is pretty unique. Coming from the top it's smooth and high speed until you head downhill pretty quickly and everything opens up. We combined this with Day Canyon Point to get some harder obstacles in and it made for a good day all around. Have fun out there! If you'd like to see a video of my run check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4jUfVKYCY0

Monday, October 01, 2018

Beautiful views. We did the trail downhill after visiting Dead Horse Point State Park. Fun trail in a stock Tacoma and doesn’t take very long.

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Just an amazing ride. Road was in pretty good condition and hardly any rocks with drop offs on the road. Scenery galore and drive under the rock is one of a kind. A lot steeper than I thought it would be.

Saturday, August 25, 2018

We did this as a first off road trip in a stock JK with BF Goodrich MT, No problem at all and I am not a super experienced off road driver. I highly recommend this trip

Monday, July 16, 2018

did this today in my stock nissan frontier. fantastic trail with amazing scenery. must do!

Sunday, June 24, 2018

This is a perfect road for anyone who has a stock 4X4. Whether you drive up or down it is a fun easy drive. A great way to get experience without stressing out. Take you time and enjoy the road.

Sunday, May 20, 2018

easy and scenic route.

Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Love this trail. Super easy, fun drive . When we camp in the Dead Horse Point/Canyonlands area this is a fun "short cut" back into Moab.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Did it in a modified 2008 land cruiser. It was really easy. Went through the narrow fallen rock with a roof top tent without any clearance issues. Air down and have fun!

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Did in a land cruiser and lx 570. No lift. No issues at all. I think could do with just about any vehicle. Had plenty of clearance under rock with rooftop tent. Absolutely beautiful!

Monday, March 19, 2018

My first off road experience in my stock Jeep Wrangler JL unlimited. There’s some little sand dunes off to your left off the main trail - make sure you go do them!

Friday, March 16, 2018

My first offroad drive. Both breathtaking and safe at the same time. A Must go!