Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail (from Summer Trailhead)

Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail (from Summer Trailhead) is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

Distance: 11.1 miles Elevation Gain: 5,603 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Climb to the top of this 11,000 foot Wasatch Peak which rises above Salt Lake City with a massive glacial cirque. This is a fairly strenuous climb to the top of one of the tallest peaks of the Wasatch Range. Reaching the cliff-lined summit will require some scrambling up steep slopes and over boulders. Follow the track in this guide closely to find your way up a variation to the top that takes you up a steep coulouir. Bring a camera as you will have specatacular views. Driving direction to the trail head: The way to the trailhead is through Orson Park and then up the dirt road (make sure your vehicle has good clearance).

Completed this today: First 2 miles is about 1200’ of elevation gain through an area with no shade but it’s pretty steady. Mile 3 right after the first trail marker is where you really start climbing. I think it was about 2000’ in 1.5 miles. At about 3.7 in after Eniss peak the trail levels out all the way until you begin your final accent about 4.5 in. After this you make the final accent which wasn’t as bad to me as the slog up at about 2 miles in. I used the all trails app and the really helped me stay on course, especially in the bouldering areas where it’s easy to lose your way.

I parked at the jacobs ladder trail head, you must go to Orson Park first and then take the dirt road south. The say you need a high clearance vehicle but I did it in a 1993 Honda accord stock height, just be careful. The trail was beautiful today (10/16/19) it was my first time and the top was a bit sketchy but doable, I recommend trekking poles til you get up the rock chute that goes very vertical.

We set out starting from the Orson Smith Trail. Our hike began at 6:15am. My friend who is 47 and myself 41 are in good shape, but only hike half a dozen times a year. The first mile is fairly easy and the trail is wide. The second mile heading up Jacobs Ladder gets real tough. It is steep and the incline is aggressive. We took 30 second rest breaks every couple of minutes. Miles 4-6 are slower and more rock hopping and scrambling. I like that type of hiking. The views are amazing. The landscape is spectacular. I love the mix of limestone and pine trees. We saw a couple of deer but no other wildlife other than birds and the every now and then squirrel, which I was surprised about. I expected to see moose, more deer and even a mountain lion with how high and remote we were. Getting up to the base of the summit was so much fun to boulder through. Again, very physically demanding. But getting to the top was worth it. We hiked all three peaks of Nebo two weeks ago and this view, IMO, was much more beautiful and amazing. We spent a half hour up top eating lunch and taking in the view. The hike down was brutal. Very hard on the quads and knees. We got lost from the main trail and ended up detouring just over a mile (according to All Trails). That was frustrating. We finally got back to the trail after bushwhacking up the side of the mountain. Had we not got lost, we would have done the hike in around 7 hours. We were moving at a pretty good pace most of the time. I recommend this hike. Through the 25 yrs I’ve lived in Utah Valley I’ve always seen the steep, shear cliffs of Lone Peak from I-15 and wondered what it was like up there. And now I know... and it didn’t disappoint one bit.

This was probably the hardest or second hardest hike I’ve done. Granted, I’m not in as good of hiking shape as I used to be, but man is it a leg & butt burner 95% of the time. Heights and exposure don’t bother me a ton, so the top wasn’t that sketchy to me. It freaks some people out though. Absolutely gorgeous views and impressive rock formations. Coming down murdered my right knee for whatever reason (maybe because it’s crazy steep), so I took almost as long coming down as going up. This was a beast for me and not for the faint hearted. Kudos to the people who run up this - I wanted to die even going 1 mph. Also, my phone tracked 16 miles?? Another guy we ran into who started at Orson Park (don’t do this, get a vehicle with high clearance and drive up farther, you’ll be glad) tracked 20 miles. Not sure what the real mileage is, but it definitely felt like more than 11.1.

Just did this hike on 10/5/2019 and felt the need to post our review and experience. My brother-in-law and myself are both in good physical condition, but are not endurance athletes by any means. This was our first time attempting Lone Peak. We got up super early and left our car at the trailhead at 3:55 AM. We hiked in the dark and it was very windy for the first 3 hours. Not a lot of snow at the summit but there were some little patchy icy areas. The last half mile or so were basically climbing up rocks and the very last 50-100 yards were extremely dangerous (almost to the point where we turned around). We did muscle through the last little ways and made the summit. But felt very nervous as it is a very bad fall in all directions when you're at the top. We also got a little lost in the middle section but did find the cairns that we were able to spot very helpful. All in all, it took us 8.5 hours (didn't spend more than 10-15 minutes at the top due to fear of heights/feeling uncomfortable) from start to finish. One thing I wanted to share is going down the mountain on this hike is almost just as brutal as going up. It is extremely steep, narrow, and difficult to slow yourself down at times. I recommend trekking poles if you have them. Overall, I would probably do it again but not for 10 years as I felt the risks of summiting were almost a little higher than my comfort zone. For those that still want to go this Fall there was very little snow until the very very end and even at that point it was minimal.

Excellent hike and the summit views are nothing short of spectacular! We spent the night in one of the meadows....beautiful and had a bull and cow moose visit camp that evening. Strenuous with full packs for an overnight. Trail has heavy foliage, primarily scrub oak. Makes it tough to use trekking poles. Trail across the rock slabs as you approach the summit ascent is difficult to navigate for a first-timer. Many cairns in place but many are marking alternative routes. Once on the rock slabs stay high traversing east at the bottom of the ridge line to the north. I took the chimney to the summit ridge. It was most direct and was a lot of fun scrambling through. Once through head straight east (up) until you can see the summit and then stay south of the ridge line and traverse to the summit ridge. The scramble from the lower summit over to the actual summit is a bit tricky. There was ice and snow in places that made it interesting. Would recommend micro spikes at this point to assure good footing. We descended using the Cherry Canyon Trail. Very different experience - open and more gentle sloping. While longer in distance I would have preferred this route on the ascent as well. Be prepared for a physically demanding hike nearly 12K feet of evaluation gain/loss. Definitely doable in a day but will test your mettle.

I’ve always wanted to horseback to Outlaw cabin from Jacob’s Ladder. My Horse stopped about 3/4 way to outlaw cabin and wouldn’t go any further no matter how hard I tried. Very Steep section with 45-55% Grade. There were sections I needed to get off my horse due to very large steep rocks. Fun beautiful ride overlooking Utah County. My horse probably would of continued if I was with other riders.

Difficult but breathtaking. The scramble to the top with snow on the rocks was a little dicey but worth the view and the feeling you get when you are looking down on the world. Not for the faint of heart. Recognize the technical spots and take them slow.

Don’t park where I did lol but it’s a sick hike, easy to get off trail in spots but worth it

Hiked Lone peak vía Jacobs Ladder on September 7, 2019. Maybe it is just me but I didn’t feel it was as extreme as a lot of the comments suggest. I was super nervous about the trail because of all the reviews. We hit the trail at 4:44 am although we were shooting for 4 am, and we finished at 5:00pm. We took our sweet time and took tons of breaks probably 15 to 20 minute breaks, every 30 minutes or so and we were not hiking fast. We got to the summit probably around 10:45 or so and spent awhile up too and started back down at about 11:30.First off the ladder part that is the steepest IS NOT straight up!!! In the dark and the coolness I was just enjoying it and seeing all the city lights. I didn’t even feel winded at all. It is steep but in the dark I guess I didn’t notice it. I didn’t feel it was difficult or burning my legs to take another step, kind of steep. The way down it was worse because I could see the ankle rolling rocks that I didn’t even notice on the way up, and it was hotter by then. I do quite a bit of walking so maybe that’s why it wasn’t too bad for me, and it did take us 12 hours round trip. When I was done I could definitely feel certain muscles were sore that I don’t normally use and I didn’t feel like I could turn around and hike this immediately after, but if you’re in descent shape, start early and take your time, it is not as intimidating as some reviews may suggest. My 13 yo daughter came with me and she was sore and walking a little funny the next day from sore muscles, but then again she doesn’t do a whole lot of exercise, and she did the hike just fine. I didn’t take her to the peak however, just near the top. I wanted to check it out first because of how sketchy people said it was. But after I went up I feel it wasn’t so sketchy and that she would have been able to go up the rest of the way, but she was content up near the top, which is totally fine. I would say it is more dangerous than sketchy. Dangerous, because yes if you are not careful and do something dumb, you won’t get a second chance at this hike, but not sketchy to where you’re hanging on for dear life trying to get past some boulder. It is long so you have to have some endurance. I started feeling a hot spot coming on on my way up the ladder so I took off both pairs of socks and put some bandaids over my heel and didn’t get a blister. Reviews kind of had me freaked out as to wether I could make it to the peak because of the risk of death. I was only nervous on the actual peak. Because of the height so I took some picture and then got off the peak. I never felt getting to the peak that my life was in any imminent danger. There are a couple ways to maneuver the boulders so just be smart and don’t be stupid and you should be fine. Thats how I felt anyway. I was more nervous for others I was in charge of as to wether they would be smart about the seriousness of what could happen near the peak, than I was about myself. The other main thing was just keep an eye on the app or gps. On the way up we seemed to go just fine with no wrong turns looking at the app but on the way down we got off the trail a few times (from not checking it often)and had to find it again because it all looks similar, and through the granite fields there is no trail. This was my sixth peak of the seven prominent peaks of the Wasatch Front, but was my favorite so far. Timp seemed harder to me because of the length, but it was my first peak so... Everyone else that had hiked Timp said this was harder for them. Everyone is different I guess . I took about a gallon of water and had 2, 17 oz bottles left over probably from hiking in the cool morning. I wouldn’t have enjoyed this as much starting any later. There is some shade but not a lot. I thoroughly love this hike!! I would recommend anyone who wants a good hike to do it, even if you only went half way and saw the peak and went back , it would be worth it.

Worth the effort! Lone Peak is a monster of a hike, the first half of it is quite steep and the conditions aren't very appealing. After completing Jacob's Ladder, the views are amazing all the way until the summit, you'll pass some of the most beautiful landscapes Utah has to offer.

very steep and hard for 1hour and half going up and after it is gorgeous. the end is scary, engaged it is like climbing. but it worths it.

Sweet trail. Phone died so I didn’t finish my recording but it took about 8 hours. Very very steep and difficult hike

Beautiful, rugged, worth the work. Consistently lost trail way up and down. All trails map works great, just have to pay attention to it while going. Was way off on estimated timing for round trip, up, small amount of time on top, down and lots of getting lost, we clocked 14.8 miles and it took us 9:30. Good luck and enjoy!

Hiked for the first time today. Easily now in my top five. We started at 530 and it was perfect. Maybe a half hour earlier but really it wasn’t too hot on the way down. We lost the cairns a few times but the map kept us on track. Took us about 4 hours to get up and 3 to get down. We spent some time at the summit as well as other places filtering and tasting the glacial melt. So total time was about 8 hours. We were moving fast though so take that with a grain of salt. 10/10 amazing but not for the faint of heart. Probably the hardest hike I’ve done.