Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail (from Summer Trailhead)

Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail (from Summer Trailhead) is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.1 miles Elevation Gain: 5,603 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Climb to the top of this 11,000 foot Wasatch Peak which rises above Salt Lake City with a massive glacial cirque. This is a fairly strenuous climb to the top of one of the tallest peaks of the Wasatch Range. Reaching the cliff-lined summit will require some scrambling up steep slopes and over boulders. Follow the track in this guide closely to find your way up a variation to the top that takes you up a steep coulouir. Bring a camera as you will have specatacular views. Driving direction to the trail head: After driving up highland blvd to the top of the hill, turn into the new development to the east of the road. Once in the new development, go to the far northeast corner to where the paved road turned into a dead end, but a dirt road continued off of it. If you keep traveling north here it will bring you to a gravel road that brings you through a gate to another trailhead. Keep traveling past this trailhead about another 3/4 of a mile along the road and you will arrive at the Jacobs ladder trailhead.

I can easily say this is my favorite trail along the Wasatch Front. The first half is honestly nothing special, but once you reach the ridge and the peak is within sight, it's absolutely spectacular. I think it's the piece and seclusion of the cirque that draws me here. Due to the intensity of this hike, I believe it keeps people away (just how I like it). While you will see other people on the trail, there has never been a crowd any of the times I've been. I've found it best to start before the sun is out, around 4am. This way you beat a lot of the heat and you don't miss much on the lower half of the trail. That being said, I started doing this AFTER I had already been up the trail a few times. I've never gotten lost on this mountain, but many other commenters have suggested that have, so it might be wise to stick to daylight on your first go around.

Amazing hike! Definitely not an easy one. Did a solo trip (back at the end of the summer) I could’ve been way more prepared for this one. Please before you go make sure you bring more water than you think you need. Some things to note for this one: 1. An interesting crux right before the summit, really makes you think while dealing with some awesome exposure. I usually can’t get enough exposure, love the stuff. but combining it with this long of a hike and some puzzling moves just before the summit wore me down for sure. 2. It really is incredibly easy to get lost coming back. Pay really close attention to the scenery going up and make mental checkpoints or you will definitely get lost. Have this app as a guide to get you back in the right direction when that does happen. 3. I’m in decent shape, taking it slow and starting at 9:00 am got me back to my car at 10:30 PM and back to a real scared/angry fiancée. Not having a headlight, sufficient battery on my phone and no water coming down at all, put me in a pretty bad situation. Really an incredible and memorable hike, just make sure you are prepared!

The hike up Lone Pk by the Jacob's Ladder route is fairly direct, steep, and efficient. I consider the Lower and Upper Bell's Canyon route BY FAR the most beautiful route, but also the longest, requires the greatest elevation gain, and is best done with overnight camping.

Hardest hike of the summer! But I had the place to myself and the views were worth it! Lots of different terrain and scenery!

First off, this is not 11.1 miles from parking lot after Orson park. We used a fit bit and this is 14 round trip. Maybe 11.1 from Jacobs ladder beginning though. Other thing. I hike hard and a lot. I hiked this one hard and it pushes back. Hardest hike I’ve ever done. Quads will rage unless you pace it slowly most likely. So, I’m 6’ and I weigh 200 lbs. Roughly 14% body fat. I bring this up ONLY to let anyone know who is athletic built that 102 ounces of water was not enough. You need AT LEAST a gallon to be safe. The ladies that came with us were fine with like 80 ounces actually. Anyway, awesome views the whole way. Be cognizant of where trail is on way up also. :)

Wow! What a trail to tackle. Bring a wind jacket because the seasons are changing. I also recommend gloves (I brought gripping garden gloves and they worked great) for warmth and scrambling down the sharp boulders. Be careful at the top... take it easy and know your limits.

Did this hike after having done Timp and Pfiefferhorn - THIS ONE IS MUCH HARDER. The slog up to the top is long and steep. Be prepared to get lost in the boulder fields (we had GPS and a map) and to be frightened by the exposure at the end. The views are incredible and I’m glad to check it off my bucket list but I’m not sure I’d do this one again.

Great trail! It takes as much as it gives. Demanding trail with an incredible view all along the way. A must!!

The trail is hot, very steep, and long. But the payoff is probably the best view I've seen in Utah, and an amazing cirque!!

Much more difficult than anticipated, but I’m not in great shape so maybe it had more to do with my conditioning than it did with the difficulty of the hike. It is very steep.

Great hike, very tough. The first 2 1/2 miles are insane, but after that portion the trail levels out and goes from very hard to just hard/moderate. The view from the top is stunning! Cell phone reception the entire way, I recommend downloading the map so you can double check your route near the top if you ever lose sight of the cairns.

This hike was much harder and longer than I expected. There’s not much of a trail when you hit the boulder fields up top (which made for lots of time going up and down trying to figure out where to go). You have to rock climb over big drops to get to the top and it’s sketchy! Bring more water and nutrition than you expect! This hike is not for the faint of heart! Plan on getting lost and being out there longer than expected!

Very Hard hike, but worth it when you get to the top! This is not for the beginner or someone not use to scrambling and a little bit of exposure. As others have mentioned bring Lots of water, I had 3 liters and ran out half way down. There is no where to filter water on the mountain, and it got super hot on the way down as well. Make sure when you come down you don’t miss the way back, I met a group that went too far south and lost 3 hours on the trail. All and all a great and challenging hike!

Jacobs ladder will eat you alive if your not careful. Straight up in the sun and infested with bees so be careful. After Jacobs ladder it is quite a beaut

As others have said, take the dirt road at Orson Park. I almost got tempted to try a different route since I live in Lehi, but looking at google images, doesn’t look like there is a fully thru way yet. I’m not the biggest fan of the first half of the trail. It has a very dry desert mountain feel to it and gets quite steep. Once it levels out and gets into some pine, I loved it. Traversing across rock reminded me of some hikes I’ve done in southern Utah and the view of the peak is fantastic. Nothing really too tough or scary until you get to the very top. The last five minutes or so to reach the top really made me think twice. Great view though and well worth it. Took me 4 hours and 15 minutes to the top. Started at 8:15am and was at the top at 12:30.

I've done this twice, and the first time was perfect. I went alone, and appreciated all the cairns to lead the way. The second time I went with friends, and we somehow got off the path, and went 2000 ft south of the trail. Trudging through scrub oak on steep hills really, REALLY sucks. Don't do that!

This trail is a hoot and a half. Jacobs ladder will be sure to destroy your thighs and calf’s. Wonderful view at the top though.

Don't trust GPS especially if coming from Provo. The GPS puts you 4 miles away from the trailhead. I was able to find a housing development being built that put me 1.3 miles away from the trailhead. You will want to drive to Orson park in Draper, and there will be a dirt road that takes you all the way to the trailhead but be warned cars will not like that road. I would say a crossover vehicle is pushing it. Bring lots of water! It is dry now so you can't filter any water this time of year. I went through 2 power aids and 3 liters of water and still felt pretty dehydrated the last 3 miles down. Plan on going in the morning. I got out late (11 am) and was in the sun the whole time. There isn't much shade from trees so the sun is on you the whole time. I would not recommend this for the first time to beginner-moderate hikers. It is a brutally hard hike that I would recommend working up towards. It is probably the most gorgeous hike of all the peaks in my opinion though.

Good long hike! I got cell coverage the whole way so it was really helpful in staying on the route, plus in a lot of areas there are a ton of Carins (unlike pfieferhorn). Hiked in late July and saw about 30 other people. So it is nice that the trail is not packed (like Timp). We started at 5:45 am, took 5 hours to summit, 3.5 hours to descend. And it seems like that pace is just above average for those on the trail. Temps were perfect until it started heating up about halfway down the mountain, not sure how to avoid that.

Definitely a very difficult hike, long, grueling, and one that will push your limits. I’d recommend starting early (4-5 am) to get past Jacob’s Ladder before it gets too hot. Views are amazing and the summit push is fun but exposed, not for people who don’t like heights or inexperienced hikers

Hell hath no fury like Jacob's Ladder. That stretch of trail is steep, unrelenting, and loose. I've also dealt with multiple rattlesnakes on the trail and in the bushes. I usually climb it at night, sleep in the saddle, and summit in the morning. If you want to hike in the day, start at 5am or you'll hate your life. The scramble to the top has some exposure, but for experienced hikers it isn't bad. Awesome views. Summit is a small rock with three drop offs on each side. Not for the faint of heart.

So worth it. Bring plenty of water, and a filter just in case!!

Very difficult hike. Took about 7 hours and that was with us trying to go fast. I’m mid 30s and relatively fit, but this hike pushed me to my limit. Trail is challenging to follow and we turned an 11 mile hike into a 12.5 mile because we took a couple wrong turns.

The hike itself is absolutely amazing! My brother and I set out to climb the seven major peaks in utah county this year (Nebo, Santaquin, Spanish Fork, Provo, Cascade, Timpanogos, and Lone Peak) This one was the last one that we climbed, and it was by far our favorite! It was definitely one of the more challenging peaks though as the trail is quite steep and fairly long. Make sure to start early and take lots of water! It took us about 8 hours total. I only have one complaint and that is that, when coming from the Provo side, the driving directions take you to a closed road! Eventually after looking at the topographic map I figured out how to get there: after driving up highland blvd to the top of the hill, I turned into a new development to the east of the road. Once in the new development, I went to the far northeast corner to where the paved road turned into a dead end, but a dirt road continued off of it. If you keep traveling north here it will bring you to a gravel road that brings you through a gate to another trailhead. Keep traveling past this trailhead about another 3/4 of a mile along the road and you will arrive at the Jacobs ladder trailhead. I hope this helps! It delayed our start by about an hour to figure out, but we were still able to get up before it was too hot, so I’m not mad about it. The trail is very easy to follow until the cirque but even within the cirque it’s not too hard. Bottom line: the views from the top are very rewarding and well worth the difficulty of getting there.

Absolutely stunning views all the way to the peak. I’m relatively fit, and it took 4-4.25 hours to reach the top. If you’re looking for some true adventure, this is definitely one for you. Although the hike is long, it’s certainly worth doing. FAIR WARNINGS: The road to the trailhead, which starts at Orson B. Smith Park, is rather long, very rough and rocky. Make sure your vehicle has good ground clearance, as you may bottom out (scrape the ground with the underside of your car, or possibly even get stuck if your ground clearance is really low) in some sections if you’re driving a compact car that’s low to the ground. Trucks and SUVs can handle this quite easily. 4WD is not exactly necessary. Some sections of the trail are very steep, so I recommend a trekking pole or two. Bring at least 5-6 half-liter bottles of water (or fewer larger bottles). I saw no source of water anywhere on the trail, so don’t bother packing a filtered drinking straw. I started with 4 and a half 1/2 liter bottles of water, and ran out long before I got back to the trailhead. At one point, you will be walking across what seems like a large, hilly field of granite rock. There are many cairns which should lead you in the right direction(on your way back down, stay to the left as much as possible as many ill-placed cairns may lead you in the wrong direction). After this, it’s scrambling over large boulders almost all the way to the top. Watch out for snakes, including rattlesnakes. If it weren’t for a fellow hiker warning me of a rattlesnake on the trail, I would’ve likely stepped right on it since it was rather well hidden in the middle of the trail. Pack something warmer to wear for when you reach the peak, like a long sleeved shirt or a windbreaker. The wind was quite gusty, and the temperature was in the high 50s, even at noon.

This is one of the hardest trails I’ve done. Jacobs ladder will show you no mercy. Bring lots of water, trekking poles, shoes with good tread and your camera! When you hit the alpine meadow all of the effort is worth it! We were swarmed by butterflies! When you come out of the meadow stay left. Stay left of the gulley and follow that trail. If you go to the right you will have to cross a boulder field to get back on trail. Not sure why there are so many misleading cairns... The effort is definitely worth the payout!

very challenging hike. I clocked it at about 11.2 Miles round-trip. we split it up between two days. We started on a Friday evening and it took us about 3 hours to go about 3.5 miles. we started the trail which is just a little bit up from the parking area. Eventually that trail splits and you want to go to the right. For the most part you should be able to tell where the trail is going. In some areas you need to analyze a little more. then you hit Jacobs ladder aftet about 2 mi. the initial ascent of Jacob's Ladder part is steep and is what took a bulk of the time. It took about 2 hours to climb that one mile with our gear. We camped in the valley and started hiking the next morning. we started with a Trail that was well Marked before entering a rocky area that had cairns all over the place. We decided to continue straight, or the path that was on the right side, as it looked easier only to find it took us to a bolder Field that we had to cross back over which killed our time. I would recommend staying to the left and go up from there. When you get to where you start climbing up pretty steeply and get to the bouldering area just be careful. follow the cairns/ppl. ask for help if needed. it can be a 2 person job at times if you under 6 foot or have shorter legs. We recommend taking gloves with you. take your turn at the top. There are massive drops on three sides of the peak. Be safe. coming down we noticed the cairns are all over the place but as long as you try to keep on top of some you will make it back down. Please do not create new cairns as I think that's where a lot of the trouble has come from. don't plan on water sources there during the summer time. with staying overnight we were rationing our water and used all but a few ounces of it. We had about five weeks between the two of us. We were trying to be careful on weight and the weather was about 70 to 80 degrees for us. If you are going in hotter weather I would highly recommend you take at least 3.5 to 4 litres a person. one of the toughest hikes we've done in the Wasatch and Uintas. make sure you are prepared and have the skills for this hike. we spent about 11 hours total doing this hike (3 hrs day one, 8 hrs day 2-- might have taken us a little longer on day 2 bc we ended up in the bolder field) and that was including our break at the top. oh, and despite what some people say you will benefit from hiking sticks at various points of this hike. (note, we did this June 30 and came across a few stagnant puddles, and 1 micro stream on the bouldering side. don't plan on water sources right now)

Great hike but getting down and staying on the trails is a challenge. The Cairns are all over the place and the trail disappears when it hits any large granite rock. Had to hike back too many times to find the trail. Make sure you are in pretty good shape if you want to do this one. The scramble at the top is awesome but not for the faint of heart. Leave your kids at home for this one.

LOVE this climb .. I have got lost coming down TWICE though and essentially had to bushwhack down the mountain .. very easy to do lol .. Misleading cairns, goat trails and lots of winds and turns. Be careful and give yourself daylight and hiking companions (unlike myself) .. :-)