Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail

Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Draper, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Climb to the top of this 11,000 foot Wasatch Peak which rises above Salt Lake City with a massive glacial cirque. This is a fairly strenuous climb to the top of one of the tallest peaks of the Wasatch Range. Reaching the cliff-lined summit will require some scrambling up steep slopes and over boulders. Follow the track in this guide closely to find your way up a variation to the top that takes you up a steep coulouir. Bring a camera as you will have specatacular views.

This is one hell of a hike! The first two miles are a slightly moderate incline and a nice warm up. Around two miles you hit the "Jacobs Ladder tr. no. 186" sign. It's a steep uphill from there for about 1.8ish miles. You then descend into a beautiful meadow and stay there for about a half mile. You begin another short ascent through pines which leads to an open area where you cross over rock slabs with stunning views around you.

As you continue, you begin climbing into a valley with a stream running through it and wildflowers galore! You will come upon a boulder field and you will want to stay to the left. Look for the cairns and stay to the left some more which leads you to the saddle. More steep climbing which eventually gets you to the Lone Peak!

Start early. 6AM. Bring a lot of water (5 liters) and snacks. I tracked 13.7 miles on my Garmin GPS.

Crazy hike ! Me and my husband tried hiking this trail from Alpine but the road getting to the trail went through a construction area that wouldn't allow you to park and hike so we lost time getting to Jacobs Ladder and started at 7:00 and hiked up the Peak view biking trail to access it. It took us an hour to connect with Jacobs ladder trail I wouldn't want to do again for it was probably a mile more going and coming. Easy trail but long. We took great pictures but it ended up taking us 9 hours round trip and we only got to the ridge. We also got off the trail coming back and had to bush wack up a steep incline to get back on the trail. Hard following the Caren's coming back. Thanks to our all trails tracker we got back on track. Four other hikers did the same thing. Thanks to my trekking poles I got down safe but my knees and back were sore. Coming down was the hardest for me because of the peebles and steepness. I'm a pretty good hiker for my age of 58 but this was a test of endurance. Easy to get dehydrated. We had a water filter that saved us for a spring towards the top was good enough! Boulder hopping for an hour was hard both going and coming back. I will be better prepared and know how to tackle it better if I get a chance to do it again :)

As was said before Lone Peak itself is amazing. If you like trails that go straight up for hours, starring at oaks trees, and no shade this is the hike for you. This was the hardest hike in the wasatch range for sure.

Once you get past the first few miles, this hike has amazing scenery and an amazing view from the peak! It's super difficult and requires going up a boulder field (with some decent exposure. I wouldn't recommend this for someone afraid of heights.) and has steep inclines on loose material but definitely worth it.
The route gets to a point where there's not a visible trail so I'd definitely recommend having a device with the route saved on it.
My device recorded 12.1 miles and my friend's recorded just under 13. It took us 8 hours with an abnormally fast descent because of a looming storm.
Getting to the trailhead requires using a dirt road but as long as you don't have abnormally low clearance, you will be able to navigate the road.
As of 7-19, there's still snow runoff providing a water supply (treat it first) about 1 mile before the peak.

Challenging hike with gorgeous panoramas. Note that if you're using Google Maps to navigate to the trailhead, search for "Orson Smith Park," then follow the dirt road ("Draper Alpine Trail") just south of the parking lot until you reach the Jacob's Ladder trailhead. DO NOT try to navigate directly based on the GPS coordinates from All Trails; Google will try to take you down either a private road or one marked "no motorized vehicles." Bring a vehicle with ample ground clearance to traverse Draper Alpine.

The first 3 miles of the hike (and, subsequently, last 3) are hell. There's plenty of loose sand and gravel along with steep inclines. However, the trail opens up into a really pretty meadow with rolling terrain, followed by a massive boulder field. The trail after the boulder field is not well-marked (or I'm just blind, which is also possible). You're basically trying to get up to the northwest corner of the ridge. From there it's a fairly decent scramble up to the top of the ridge. Follow the ridgeline to the summit and try not to think about the 1500-foot dropoff to the northeast ;).

As far as distance goes, my phone logged 14.5 miles. Not sure exactly what the 11.1 is counting. Round trip I started at 6:10 and ended just after 15:00 -- it definitely would not be a bad idea to start earlier (or to hike faster!) to avoid the afternoon heat.

This hike is awesome. Sketchy enough at top to make it an adventure. We went up Jacobs Ladder and down Cherry Canyon. I've been down Jacobs ladder a few times so can make a legit comparison. While the Cherry canyon trail is better constructed and maybe SLIGHTLY less shaded, it's still loose and definitely HOT, and after making it down the perpetual switchbacks of cherry, we concluded that Jacobs ladder decent is better, it is shorter and you can just "get it over with".

The initial Jacob's ladder section is super dry, hot, and gross. We heard the Cherry Hill approach is better. But either way, you have to climb up to get to the Lone Peak Trailhead. The views along that upper trail are absolutely insane. We hiked today. Saw several deer and a rattlesnake. Most of the snow is melted but what's left didn't interfere with the ascent. The bouldering at the end is nerve-rackingly exposed. The actual peak is awesome but just a handful of people at a time can stand on it. We hit the trail at 6am and finished about 12:30pm moving pretty quickly. This hike is very intense. Everyone in our group has ran ultras but we mostly hiked. The upper trail is hard to follow. Also keep in mind, the map here says 11.1 miles round trip, but our shortest GPS result came from a Garmin Fenix 5X at 13 miles. One iPhone 7 Plus using Strava logged 14.8 and another tracked even further. I don't know how long this trail actually is, but I'm pretty sure based on our four devices today that it's more than 11.1 miles round trip. Plan accordingly. The elevation gain is pretty brutal as well. We clocked right at 6,000 vertical feet. When you consider the length, vertical gain, exposure, and the trail in general this peek feels significantly harder than Timp. Super cool, amazing views, but not for the faint of heart! There are some great camping spots up at the saddle around 4-5 miles up if you wanted to break it up into two days.

Lone Peak gets five stars in my book, but Jacob's Ladder gets one. The majority of the trail is exposed to the sun, the trail is steep, dusty, and in many areas, littered with small loose rock. From the trailhead there is probably about 1 mile of hiking on trails heavily used for mountain biking.
I hiked down this trail and can't imagine hiking up. I chose to hike up the Cherry Canyon Logging Trail, and while the first portion of this hike was still heavily exposed to the sun, I found it a much more satisfying hike due to the areas of shade and more diverse terrain.

This was the best summit I've done this year. Lone Peak makes you work for it but it's truly an impressive (and a little unnerving) sight from the top. I was on the trail a little late and ran into a rattle snake in the way down. My suggestion is to get up and down early before too many snakes come out to warm up. Patches of snow were easy to navigate and there were only a couple of other groups on the trail. I will start much earlier next time to beat the heat and lack of shade for the descent.

7.5 hours round trip just to get to the base of the summit. Hardest hike I've ever done, jacobs ladder is tough! but the view is truly amazing. If you're using Google maps to get to the trail head, search for Orson Smith Trailhead, not Jacobs Ladder Trailhead. Follow the dirt road from Orson Smith :)

Did this today and there is hardly any snow on the trail. Round trip 5 hours at a pretty quick pace.

Still some snow but passable with poles. Enjoyed watching mountain goats