Learn more

Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail (from Summer Trailhead)

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(454)
Lone Peak Wilderness

Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail (from Summer Trailhead) is a 11.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Length 11.1 mi Elevation gain 5,603 ft Route type Out & Back

No dogs

Description
Waypoints (7)
Tips

Please Note: Draper City will be closing the Upper Corner Canyon Road to vehicle access on July 1, 2020. Please see link: http://www.draper.ut.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1394 Climb to the top of this 11,000 foot Wasatch Peak which rises above Salt Lake City with a massive glacial cirque. This is a fairly strenuous climb to the top of one of the tallest peaks of the Wasatch Range. Reaching the cliff-lined summit will require some scrambling up steep slopes and over boulders. Follow the track in this guide closely to find your way up a variation to the top that takes you up a steep coulouir. Bring a camera as you will have specatacular views. Driving direction to the trail head: The way to the trailhead is through Orson Park and then up the dirt road (make sure your vehicle has good clearance).

Directions: The trailhead 2.6 miles up the Corner Canyon Road off the town of Draper. The trailhead is at 5,700. Use the track to find the start of the trail from the parking lot.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (457)
Photos (548)
Recordings (331)
Completed (943)
Alan Deshazer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 11, 2020
Hiking

first couple of miles are not bad but after that the trail gets steep. couldn't finish today due to closed road. I'll be back another day.

View Alan's Recording
Tim Waters
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020

This app saved us. Even through I have been to Lone Peak several times, the trail is not always easy to find in places. I went with my 13 year old son, and it was fun to see his reaction to the view at the top. Everyone requires different amounts of fluid. I took 5 litters and my son 4. We were rationing water towards the bottom. We completely ran out about a 100 yards from the car. We saw one guy who ran out half way down Jacob's ladder. He was waiting for his sister to come back with fluid. Another guy was chasing down water for his friend who gave up with about a mile left because he ran out of water and was dehydrated. Needless to say, don't take anyone's word for it, judge how much water you need, not what someone's think you need. I suggest think of what you need, and then add a litter. The hike is cool at the top, but Jacob's Ladder is super hot in the afternoon when coming down. We saw a rattle snake on the way down. That was the second time I have seen one on this hike. Each time they have been right by the trail. If you are a beginner with hiking, this hike is not for you. Work up to it. This is an amazing hike, but hard!!!

Adam Willis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
View Adam's Recording
Roger Kraft
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

This is one of the most difficult hikes you will ever take and for anyone who says they hate it, they are simply not in shape. The view from lone Peak is incredible. Be prepared for a semi-difficult scramble across boulders and there is not a lot of room at the geological marker. Start very early in the morning and you should be able to get up and back within 12 to 13 hours.

Kallee Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

I hate Utah it’s so ugly

Mason King
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingBugsOff trailRocky

honestly the view is cool but not worth it.

View Mason's Recording
Andrew Munson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

Start Early! 3am is best so you beat the heat! Bring a headlamp for that early hike. This hike has it ALL! There’s some mellow hiking, some bouldering, steep inclines, and just when you think you made it to the peak, there’s another peak across an exposed ridge that involves some climbing/bouldering! Not for the faint of heart! 14+ miles of beauty and fun. Loved every minute. Bring friends for an even better time!

View Andrew's Recording
Jake Bald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 24, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Great trail. Clocked it at 14.27 miles and 7.5 hours. Honestly, I was not expecting the Jacob's ladder trail to be as intense as it was. Extremely steep in many places, but definitely doable. I was a little worried about the last section to the summit, as noted in other reviews, but I didn't think it was too crazy of a scramble. There are definitely some very exposed sections, but I didn't feel scared at any point. Will definitely do again.

Caleb Dayley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

The views from the top and approaching the summit are incredible and totally worth the hike. The first few miles along the trail make it seem like nothing special or exciting. But when we reached the top part of the hike we were reminded of a mini Yosemite. There are super pretty cliffs. However, the downsides to the hike are that it is really tough and long. There are also a couple spots that it can be difficult to stay on the trail and some cairns that don’t seem to lead the right way at all so be careful. The last climb to the summit was pretty cool but definitely had my heart pumping for a couple of moments. But as long as you are careful and take your time you will be totally fine! Also Taylor’s advice to find the trail head is totally valid so look at that.

Taylor Arnold
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingNo shadeOver grownRockyScramble

Ok. So. To get to the trailhead: As was said, drive up Suncrest in Draper and pull into the EDGE Homes housing neighborhood. Go to the North Eastern part of the little community, “S Canyon Point Rd” and park in front of the chain fence blocking a dirt road. Then walk around the fence and start walking on that dirt road. On your All Trails map it will say, “Corner Canyon Road.” Then it changes to “Draper Alpine Road.” This road will take you right to the trailhead and only adds a mile (each way). Ok. REVIEW. This trail is steep, long, and exposed. I didn’t think I would ever find a trail more exhausting than Mahagony. But alas. I found it. Start super early to avoid exhaustion from the sun. The breeze up top keeps you cool though. However the views get really good once you reach the ridgeline. Also at this point - follow the Cairns. The scramble to the top scared me, the last 50 ft of it. But stay calm, move slow, and keep three points of contact. The views from Lone Peak are UNREAL. I rated 4 stars because some of the Trail has shrubbery growing over the trail and the rock hopping is exhausting and goes on quite a ways. Also, the whole hike is crazy exhausting too. But the view. That view is 5 stars. WATER: Bring lots of water, at least 3 liters. At least. I brought my water filter and was lucky the streams were still there toward the top. However, by the end of July, I bet they’re dried up. Heads up. P.S. Saw a giant rattlesnake that was not in the mood to make friends. I only saw it because I heard it’s angry hissing. It skipped the rattling and went straight for coiled up hissing. Anyway. Just be aware.

View Taylor's Recording
Aria Rockwood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020
Running

Trailhead closed so we added 2 miles from sun crest neighborhood. So beautiful, no snow.

View Aria's Recording
scott w
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

I love this trail and was hoping to hike it today but if you follow the all trails directions you can't get within 3 miles of the trailhead. The GPS tries to guide you down a road that doesn't exist.

Melodie Larsen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

This hike was extremely hard and long and steep. I wanted to crawl down at the end. But its a once in a lifetime for me!

Alan Larsen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2020
Hiking

great beautiful hike but very difficult

View Alan's Recording
Abby Miles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2020
HikingNo shade

Hardest but most rewarding hike I’ve ever done. Beautiful views all the way, and I recommend this to any experienced hiker. The granite cliffs are breathtaking and you get views of both valleys and many of the mountains to the east. The road to the trailhead is closed because of fire danger, so we started from Suncrest and followed the road from there. It adds just over a mile to each end of the hike FWIW. We started at just before 5 AM and we reached the peak about 5 and a half hours later. The hardest part is honestly getting down because you’ll be exhausted and tired of the heat. I’d recommend starting early and bringing at least 4 Liters or water or a filter because there is a running stream about halfway up.

Deric Newton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingOver grownRockyScramble

Wow. Lone Peak. This baby was a freaking mother. Easily the hardest hike I've done. We started at about 1:30 and made it up to the peak for the sunrise at 6:00.

View Deric's Recording
Justin Hunt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020
Hiking

We parked at the Edge homes community in Suncrest (road closed to the trailhead there too) and walked about a mile to the trailhead... not bad at all. An amazing and super hard hike. Best views and A bucket list hike for sure. Last few hundred yards to the summit involves some crawling over large rocks. Be super careful at the summit... not recommended for anybody that doesn’t like heights. We did get off the path a few times but easily made it back by following the maps on the app. Wear good hiking or trail shoes and good hiking poles. I’d suggest 3-4 liters of water and/or a filter to use at the streams. The only disappointment was we didn’t see much wildlife other than some awesome birds. We left our car around 5am and got back around 1pm.

Olympia W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeRockyScramble

Pretty darn spectacular!! My body is definitely wrecked!!! Started at 4:30 AM, returned to car at 3:15 PM, but I like to take my time. The dirt road is a little rough and bumpy but 4x4 is not needed. Higher clearance will certainly work the best, although I saw sedans parked at the trailhead. The dirt road is fairly wide, so no need to fret about cars in the opposite direction. The Jacob’s Ladder section felt the toughest but anyone can make it with patience! I was really worried about the final scramble to the peak but honestly it was super easy! There weren’t sheer drops on either side of the ridge during the final scramble (which I had been expecting). The peak itself is pretty exposed and small but carefully sitting or standing on top is safe. The final scramble had tons of good juggy holds and the rock is stable and grippy. Be careful, make three points of contact, go slow and stay low to the ground if needed! There is a fair amount of water available once the trail goes consistently flat and weaves around a creek. There were sculpted “potholes” in the creek which were pretty. The bugs appeared in late morning but were manageable without bug spray. Minimal, easy to navigate snow patches (no spikes needed). The trail is pretty obvious and well-defined for the most part but once you near the cirque, follow the cairns!! You can also rely on Hiking Project app to see your position on the map (if you download the state maps, they also work offline without data too)! Also make sure you stop at the cirque! I’m not sure if the full view of the cirque is on route with the trail. I took some detours just to glimpse the cirque better.