Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail (from Summer Trailhead)

Lone Peak via Jacob's Ladder Trail (from Summer Trailhead) is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Climb to the top of this 11,000 foot Wasatch Peak which rises above Salt Lake City with a massive glacial cirque. This is a fairly strenuous climb to the top of one of the tallest peaks of the Wasatch Range. Reaching the cliff-lined summit will require some scrambling up steep slopes and over boulders. Follow the track in this guide closely to find your way up a variation to the top that takes you up a steep coulouir. Bring a camera as you will have specatacular views.

6/10/18 Abnormally cool June day, 60*, allowed us to keep moving at a fairly quick pace. The snow fields were pretty much all melted except a couple small patches. Jacobs Ladder is brutal but once you get past it it’s a lot of fun scrambling and amazing views.
3:50 from trailhead to summit

The views are beautiful and the trail is challenging. I really enjoyed this hike.

If your looking for a tough climb with a spectacular reward, this is the climb for you. Went to the top and there was still snow but wasn’t to bad. The downhill killed me and had to run 2 miles in boots to get off mountain before storm really started to come down. Would do this one again if I had more time here!

Awesome hikes and climbs!!

definitely worth the view. Went up on the 4th of July last year, beautiful to watch the valley light up with fireworks.

We started this hike from Coyote Hollow Ct this past Saturday (see our track in recent Recordings). Trail all the way up through Jacob's Ladder is clear and dry. Really not muddy at all. Snow isn't prevalent until just before you get to Mount Ennis. From Mt. Ennis on, it's basically all snow fields. Warm bluebird day and post-holed a few times up to the knees, but the previous tracks helped quite a bit.

We created just the 3rd or 4th tracks up. Snowshoes not needed for this. I would definitely bring microspikes and gaiters though. We stopped about 7.5 miles in at elevation 9,800ft (a daunting 4,800ft net climb) which is where we had the best open views of the cirque. Had we started earlier than 9am, we would've continued on toward the summit.

hardest hike I've ever been on

Attempted a climb just yesterday and the trail was pretty accessable. there were places where spikes were very useful. On the approach to the final climb snow shoes are required. My buddy brought his but I didn't so we ended up having to turn back. Another hiker on their way down said that he got to the base of the final climb but there was steep ice covered by snow that just slid away so we had to turn back. Those looking to summit this time of year need spikes, snow shoes, and actual crampons / ice axes.

Only went up to Lone Rock but the view was great there. Just so AllTrails users know, the road is closed for the season about a mile and a half before the trail head, so bear that in mind. Also the trail was quite muddy and slick towards the beginning of the ascent.

No snowshoes needed today, but slushy and slippery. Micro spikes used after 9200 feel.

11/12/17. Extremely difficult. I’d say it’s closer to 14 miles round trip. Look for the stacked rocks to follow the trail plan on making a day out of this 10 -14 hours.

I did this yesterday and it kicked my butt. I hike every other day and struggled to do this!! also, directions are wrong here and take you too a closed road. i hiked from a parking lot many miles away. very steep and easy to lose the path at the end. bring water and company.

We do this hike every year. Jacobs is always hard (up and down). Minimal snow on the top. There is some ice, but going to summit is not a problem.

Made the summit just after sunrise today with help of crampons and ice axe. Others who came later behind me didn't use such gear, though a few had some on hand.
Finding the trail at night was tough, but the full moon was a great help in saving batteries on the simpler paths. A tiring but absolutely excellent experience!

Very challenging but worth it! We did this Oct 7th and made it to the top. There was snow on the ridge line but it was doable!

Climbed this on September 30. Talked to some campers who said there were others attempting it on prior days but gave up 100 meters from the summit do to the slippery snow conditions. We (stupidly) pressed on and made it.

The last 50 or so meters was super scary and dangerous. With only 4 inches of snow on most of the boulders, there isn't enough to remain stable on top of the icy base. The block with the survey marker was under about 2.5 inches and way too slippery for my comfort.

I would recommend everyone ether wait for more snow pack and have proper mountaineering gear, or do this one when there is no snow or ice.

amazing hike I've done it over 20 times there is no water after June bring lots of water start before the sun comes up it gets very hot. I'm going up in a few days I'll post how much snow is up there when I get back

Challenging hike but the best peak around, hands down.

Awesome hike, make sure to keep track of where you are going thought because you can easily lose he trail near the top.

Extremely hard trail to follow. Be patient and look for cairns. the final ascent is a lot of bouldering. you need to be comfortable with class 3s. if I remember right, there might be one little class 4 if you go all the way to the summit. this hike is way harder than timp, just so you know. pay attention and take your time when trying to navigate because my friend and and I turned this 11 mile hike into probably 14 miles. one of the more rewarding hikes I've ever done

The trail is very hard but the payoff at the top is amazing. And thanks to the many souls who've put up rock cairns to guide the many different ways to approach the peak.

This is one hell of a hike! The first two miles are a slightly moderate incline and a nice warm up. Around two miles you hit the "Jacobs Ladder tr. no. 186" sign. It's a steep uphill from there for about 1.8ish miles. You then descend into a beautiful meadow and stay there for about a half mile. You begin another short ascent through pines which leads to an open area where you cross over rock slabs with stunning views around you.

As you continue, you begin climbing into a valley with a stream running through it and wildflowers galore! You will come upon a boulder field and you will want to stay to the left. Look for the cairns and stay to the left some more which leads you to the saddle. More steep climbing which eventually gets you to the Lone Peak!

Start early. 6AM. Bring a lot of water (5 liters) and snacks. I tracked 13.7 miles on my Garmin GPS.

Crazy hike ! Me and my husband tried hiking this trail from Alpine but the road getting to the trail went through a construction area that wouldn't allow you to park and hike so we lost time getting to Jacobs Ladder and started at 7:00 and hiked up the Peak view biking trail to access it. It took us an hour to connect with Jacobs ladder trail I wouldn't want to do again for it was probably a mile more going and coming. Easy trail but long. We took great pictures but it ended up taking us 9 hours round trip and we only got to the ridge. We also got off the trail coming back and had to bush wack up a steep incline to get back on the trail. Hard following the Caren's coming back. Thanks to our all trails tracker we got back on track. Four other hikers did the same thing. Thanks to my trekking poles I got down safe but my knees and back were sore. Coming down was the hardest for me because of the peebles and steepness. I'm a pretty good hiker for my age of 58 but this was a test of endurance. Easy to get dehydrated. We had a water filter that saved us for a spring towards the top was good enough! Boulder hopping for an hour was hard both going and coming back. I will be better prepared and know how to tackle it better if I get a chance to do it again :)

As was said before Lone Peak itself is amazing. If you like trails that go straight up for hours, starring at oaks trees, and no shade this is the hike for you. This was the hardest hike in the wasatch range for sure.

Once you get past the first few miles, this hike has amazing scenery and an amazing view from the peak! It's super difficult and requires going up a boulder field (with some decent exposure. I wouldn't recommend this for someone afraid of heights.) and has steep inclines on loose material but definitely worth it.
The route gets to a point where there's not a visible trail so I'd definitely recommend having a device with the route saved on it.
My device recorded 12.1 miles and my friend's recorded just under 13. It took us 8 hours with an abnormally fast descent because of a looming storm.
Getting to the trailhead requires using a dirt road but as long as you don't have abnormally low clearance, you will be able to navigate the road.
As of 7-19, there's still snow runoff providing a water supply (treat it first) about 1 mile before the peak.

Challenging hike with gorgeous panoramas. Note that if you're using Google Maps to navigate to the trailhead, search for "Orson Smith Park," then follow the dirt road ("Draper Alpine Trail") just south of the parking lot until you reach the Jacob's Ladder trailhead. DO NOT try to navigate directly based on the GPS coordinates from All Trails; Google will try to take you down either a private road or one marked "no motorized vehicles." Bring a vehicle with ample ground clearance to traverse Draper Alpine.

The first 3 miles of the hike (and, subsequently, last 3) are hell. There's plenty of loose sand and gravel along with steep inclines. However, the trail opens up into a really pretty meadow with rolling terrain, followed by a massive boulder field. The trail after the boulder field is not well-marked (or I'm just blind, which is also possible). You're basically trying to get up to the northwest corner of the ridge. From there it's a fairly decent scramble up to the top of the ridge. Follow the ridgeline to the summit and try not to think about the 1500-foot dropoff to the northeast ;).

As far as distance goes, my phone logged 14.5 miles. Not sure exactly what the 11.1 is counting. Round trip I started at 6:10 and ended just after 15:00 -- it definitely would not be a bad idea to start earlier (or to hike faster!) to avoid the afternoon heat.

This hike is awesome. Sketchy enough at top to make it an adventure. We went up Jacobs Ladder and down Cherry Canyon. I've been down Jacobs ladder a few times so can make a legit comparison. While the Cherry canyon trail is better constructed and maybe SLIGHTLY less shaded, it's still loose and definitely HOT, and after making it down the perpetual switchbacks of cherry, we concluded that Jacobs ladder decent is better, it is shorter and you can just "get it over with".

The initial Jacob's ladder section is super dry, hot, and gross. We heard the Cherry Hill approach is better. But either way, you have to climb up to get to the Lone Peak Trailhead. The views along that upper trail are absolutely insane. We hiked today. Saw several deer and a rattlesnake. Most of the snow is melted but what's left didn't interfere with the ascent. The bouldering at the end is nerve-rackingly exposed. The actual peak is awesome but just a handful of people at a time can stand on it. We hit the trail at 6am and finished about 12:30pm moving pretty quickly. This hike is very intense. Everyone in our group has ran ultras but we mostly hiked. The upper trail is hard to follow. Also keep in mind, the map here says 11.1 miles round trip, but our shortest GPS result came from a Garmin Fenix 5X at 13 miles. One iPhone 7 Plus using Strava logged 14.8 and another tracked even further. I don't know how long this trail actually is, but I'm pretty sure based on our four devices today that it's more than 11.1 miles round trip. Plan accordingly. The elevation gain is pretty brutal as well. We clocked right at 6,000 vertical feet. When you consider the length, vertical gain, exposure, and the trail in general this peek feels significantly harder than Timp. Super cool, amazing views, but not for the faint of heart! There are some great camping spots up at the saddle around 4-5 miles up if you wanted to break it up into two days.

Lone Peak gets five stars in my book, but Jacob's Ladder gets one. The majority of the trail is exposed to the sun, the trail is steep, dusty, and in many areas, littered with small loose rock. From the trailhead there is probably about 1 mile of hiking on trails heavily used for mountain biking.
I hiked down this trail and can't imagine hiking up. I chose to hike up the Cherry Canyon Logging Trail, and while the first portion of this hike was still heavily exposed to the sun, I found it a much more satisfying hike due to the areas of shade and more diverse terrain.

This was the best summit I've done this year. Lone Peak makes you work for it but it's truly an impressive (and a little unnerving) sight from the top. I was on the trail a little late and ran into a rattle snake in the way down. My suggestion is to get up and down early before too many snakes come out to warm up. Patches of snow were easy to navigate and there were only a couple of other groups on the trail. I will start much earlier next time to beat the heat and lack of shade for the descent.