Lone Peak Area to Lake Hardy

Lone Peak Area to Lake Hardy is a 12.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I had great company so that made this hike better. Along the way the views are pretty but the first few miles are on private dirt road which is a waste of hiking time. I like actually hiking in the mountains on trails. Getting back into the mountains on the single track was better. It is steep like one of the reviewers mentions below. When you get to the valley up top, the trail is less obvious and people have built cairns everywhere. You can get to the lake of mosquitoes aka Hardy pretty much by bouldering the massive boulders because there are cairns on that or climbing down by the stream and climbing back up. Your choice the cairns EVERYWHERE will lead you there. Pull out your map if you’re lost and it’ll guide you. Wear big repellent, go early to avoid the heat and have enjoyable fast hiking companions otherwise don’t waste your time since it’s a watershed lake and you can’t swim in it.
Okay okay, it is pretty just endure the millions of mosquitoes trying to eat you. You’ve been warned. I hiked this at the end of June.

I Made a bad decision dropping down into Lake Hardy instead of following lightning ridge while doing “The Beatout” so I had to scramble and boulder through the north ridge to then go to south thunder. The view from the lake of the majestic carved out granite is unlike anything that I’ve ever seen before. I plan on returning here this summer but this time going through Alpine. Where plenty of bug spray for the lake and if your doing “The Beatout” DO NOT go down to Lake Hardy cause that exhausted me to the point of dehydration and added what seemed to be an extra mile to my trip!

I wanted to scout this trail out knowing I did not have time to the top, but I was curious how hard it was, etc. I walked on this "trail" for 2 hours and it is a the most dry boring service road, and looking at Google maps.it went a lot father before changing to trails and something better. I think when I hike to Lake Hardy I will go up Dry Creek canyon on Alpine and then walk the trail that connects that trail to the Lake Hardy trail. Check out my blog post for more info.

This is a hard and completely uphill hike but is well worth the effort. The lake is beautiful and reflective and the quarts is majestic. Its also nice because you can look over utah valley the whole time.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Awesome hike! We camped in the Second Hamongog. Nice spots in the trees to camp. The portion right after second is brutal but the wildflowers and views made it worth it. The stream and meadow below the lake are gorgeous. From lake hardy we scrambled up to the ridgeline. That was fun to be able to see the lake from above. Also gave you views of Salt Lake Valley. Trail was easy to follow. Just look for the rock cairns. Overall it was a tough hike but well worth it.

Friday, July 07, 2017

This trail was awesome! I hiked it with some friends on Father's Day, however we split off from the lake hardy trail once we got to the granite rocks and hike to the top of Lone Peak. It was a pretty rough once we split off of the trail in the rock. But it is doable and well worth the views!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

This trail is wayyyy to unkept. There's going to be an accident here soon if it gets worse. Hiked the 12 mile 5k ft to lake hardy today. Nice views up top once you make it past the long climb through the wildflower fields where the sun will cook your soul. If there's another way up into the lake hardy area; I will take it next time

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Very beautiful well worth the effort.

Friday, March 17, 2017

I have done this hike multiple times, once carrying a 50 lb pack to spend 4 days up there archery hunting the area. Be physically prepared as it is steep. It is, however, extremely rewarding once you get to the upper Hamongogg and then up into the granite. The remote high country and this lake are stunning. Carry plenty of water too! the South facing slope of this hike can be hot.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Take a map! I lost the trail several times due to overgrowth and later on to rock formations in the trail. Granted I went up at night and my phone had died. The overgrowth is bad enough it is worth wearing long sleeves and pants as you will basically be walking through lots of thick bush.

Not only did I go up at night, but went solo - risky business. A cougar nearly pounced on me about an hour in (the last turn on the road/trail). fortunately my head lamp caught his eyes and I jumped toward him yelping so he took off, but it made the rest of the hike rather nerve wracking! I also saw what I believe were bear tracks, and on my way down a clawed/bitten up jacket with a few blood stains. This is definitively a more remote hike - I didn't encounter ANYONE on the trail. Aside from the trail and danger it was a beatiful hike. Unfortunately I didn't make it quite to the top because I got off trail :(

I'll do this again in the daylight, with a small group!

Friday, September 02, 2016

This is a great hike for those who are looking for solitude. We went up Friday and back Saturday. We only saw two people the entire trip and they were down near the bottom. No one was anywhere near the lake, which was beautiful.

The hike is strenuous and there isn't a lot of cover, particularly at the beginning when you are on an unattractive road. Once you get past the road, it is beautiful.

Parts of the trail are overgrown to the point you may want to consider wearing pants if you can stand the heat. I will be going again.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

We backpacked up to Lake Hardy to stay the night and came back down in the morning. The couple miles weren't the best, just a wide dirt path in scrub oak filled foothills. But the upper trail and destination were absolutely beautiful. The view of Utah valley was also amazing. I highly recommend this trail. Before you go, know that much of the trail is filled with brush, and there are almost no switchbacks- it's very steep straight up almost the whole way up. It was extremely strenuous when backpacking.

Saturday, July 29, 2017