Lone Peak Area to Lake Hardy

Lone Peak Area to Lake Hardy is a 12.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November.

Very beautiful well worth the effort.

I have done this hike multiple times, once carrying a 50 lb pack to spend 4 days up there archery hunting the area. Be physically prepared as it is steep. It is, however, extremely rewarding once you get to the upper Hamongogg and then up into the granite. The remote high country and this lake are stunning. Carry plenty of water too! the South facing slope of this hike can be hot.

Take a map! I lost the trail several times due to overgrowth and later on to rock formations in the trail. Granted I went up at night and my phone had died. The overgrowth is bad enough it is worth wearing long sleeves and pants as you will basically be walking through lots of thick bush.

Not only did I go up at night, but went solo - risky business. A cougar nearly pounced on me about an hour in (the last turn on the road/trail). fortunately my head lamp caught his eyes and I jumped toward him yelping so he took off, but it made the rest of the hike rather nerve wracking! I also saw what I believe were bear tracks, and on my way down a clawed/bitten up jacket with a few blood stains. This is definitively a more remote hike - I didn't encounter ANYONE on the trail. Aside from the trail and danger it was a beatiful hike. Unfortunately I didn't make it quite to the top because I got off trail :(

I'll do this again in the daylight, with a small group!

This is a great hike for those who are looking for solitude. We went up Friday and back Saturday. We only saw two people the entire trip and they were down near the bottom. No one was anywhere near the lake, which was beautiful.

The hike is strenuous and there isn't a lot of cover, particularly at the beginning when you are on an unattractive road. Once you get past the road, it is beautiful.

Parts of the trail are overgrown to the point you may want to consider wearing pants if you can stand the heat. I will be going again.

We backpacked up to Lake Hardy to stay the night and came back down in the morning. The couple miles weren't the best, just a wide dirt path in scrub oak filled foothills. But the upper trail and destination were absolutely beautiful. The view of Utah valley was also amazing. I highly recommend this trail. Before you go, know that much of the trail is filled with brush, and there are almost no switchbacks- it's very steep straight up almost the whole way up. It was extremely strenuous when backpacking.