Lofty Lake Loop Trail

Lofty Lake Loop Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kamas, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and fishing and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lofty Lake Trail is located near Kamas, Utah and features a lake. The trail is primarily used for hiking. This Hike starts at the Pass Lake Trailhead just on the Highway near Pass Lake. Start on the Weber River trail. After a short distance you will come to the Lofty Lake Trail on the right. Continue around .7 miles and you will come to the Cuberant Lake Trail junction but continue to the right past Kamas Lake 1.3 miles until you arrive at Lofty Lake less that 1 miles from Kamas Lake. Either return the way you came or continue up the pass and drop down to Scout Lake near a boy scout camp working south and west until you arrive back at the Weber river trail and return to you car.

Great trail. Everything you can ask for.

This is a beautiful trail. I suggest going counter clockwise because the second half is steeper so it’s easier to go down.

This hike has beautiful lakes to hike past as you hike to Lofty Lake. At the summit you can see several Mountian ranges as well as other lakes around.

We did this route counter clockwise. This route starts out all uphill for the first 1.5 miles. The trail is well defined in most places and there are a few cairns laid where the trail may get confusing. After reaching the ridge summit you come to Lofty Lake. Great place to take a rest and grab some water and snack. Most of the trail from here is downhill. We saw a few people camping here. Next you come to Cutthroat lake although the trail doesn’t take you down to it. There is a spur trail that can take you down. Our final lake was Kamas Lake. This is the largest of the lakes on this loop. The water was cold but not enough to keep us from taking a quick dip. Once you leave Kamas lake you scramble down some rocky trail and then wander through meadows until you reach the parking lot where you began. For us the weather was just right and we had a breeze to keep the bugs off us. We didn’t even use bug spray. Great quick loop. Would be challenging for kids but not impossible. We saw plenty of families with small children. I would rate this trail as moderate.

Absolutely amazing. Bring tons of water, and if you’re not used to the altitude, you’re gonna be working a lot harder than normal.

Beautiful & remote trail with lots of different scenery along the way to a serene lake. Great trail for adventurous tourists!

One of my favorites. But it’s further than 4.5 miles. The views are amazing ! It’s mountain heaven !!

This hike had amazing views and lots of different terrain. We didn’t calculate it exactly, but all our fit bits tracked it close to 6.5 miles. Official or not it seemed longer. Bug spray is a must. The trail was busier than expected, but we went on a holiday. There is also a scout camp, so you may run into large groups of boys. Also, don’t forget to pay the recreation fee. ($6.00) The drop boxes are not near the trail head. Closest one is by Mirror Lake.

This hike is a great find but definitely a moderate hike. I wish I had known about the bugs because I was eaten alive so bring bug spray! We passed like five lakes and it was so beautiful. Not too crowded which was super nice. I would definitely do this hike again.

Fun loop, lots of lakes. Bring bug spray!

Amazing trail! Well kept, beautiful. Most of the elevation gain was in a concentrated areas so small parts of it were pretty steep but elsewhere was moderate or flat. There weren’t too many bugs but definitely bring repellent. Tons of wildflowers, Lakes, streams, and high up views for great pictures.

Beautiful hike with gorgeous views and lots of lakes. Definitely one I would do again. Weather can change in an instant so go prepared.

We didn’t leash our dog and didn’t see any on leashes (other than in the parking lot). This is a gorgeous loop with great variation—green, swampy meadows (wear bug spray), high lakes, and rocky, sweeping vistas. Not too challenging, other than a little push to the high point about half way through. I liked starting the loop by going towards Scout lake and ending by Kamas lake.

beautiful views. We saw some mountain goats on the way down. Lots and lot of mosquitos. Once you stop for a split second, the mosquitoes will all come and try to bite you. The most amount of mosquitoes I have ever seen. Very annoying.

Very pretty hike. Pretty easy and the climb at the beginning isn’t too bad. You run into a few different lakes and meadows. Make sure to check the weather, we got caught in the rain, but luckily had rain jackets with us.

Such a beautiful hike! No snow on the trail, ran into more people in the last mile or so but not crowded by any means. We bug sprayed at the beginning and middle and were fine for the most part.

Both times we've done this trail, our Garmin watches said the distance was closer to 4.4 miles than the advertised 3.9. This trail is steep & rocky, hard on the body. Breath-taking views.

We hiked the loop on the first of July and had a great time! It was a little rough on my 7 year old daughter’s legs though. Bugs weren’t too bad but we did wish we had some repellent on the trail down after Kamas Lake. The dogs on a leash rule must be suggested only as our pup was the only leashed dog of the dozens we saw so keep that in mind.

‘‘Twas epic! Bring bug spray, it will make the experience that much sweeter.

Beautiful hike! I didn’t see a soul on the trail. Very peaceful!

So much bang for the mileage! A must do! Lots of mosquitos right now, tiny bit of snow at the top but navigable in tennis shoes. Beautiful trout in the first lake to fish for.

Beautiful hike. Had to hike through some snow at the top, and water run off on the trail. May want to wait a few more week for the snow to melt.

As of June 2, the trail at the summit and lake are still covered in 2-3 feet of snow. Bring snow shoes if you want to complete the loop.

I loved this hike. Very rewarding, beautiful views along the way. Not hard. Very very green in the middle of the the summer. Great escape!

Snow on the trail, other than some slippery spots and occasional concern we had lost the trail...beautiful hike! Felt the elevation so took it slow. Went yesterday (Wednesday) and we didn't see anyone else along the trail or at the trailhead.

Awesome views... did it in July and there was still some snow on the pass before the drop down to lofty lake. We did it counter clockwise passing Picturesque and Scout lake first. It was an easy route but I had my wife and 10year old who were new to hiking. And coming from Florida where our highest elev. is about sea level, the altitude got to them quickly. In hindsight I think it's 50/50 on going clockwise or counterclockwise from the trailhead. Either way you gotta climb. Our hike was somewhat rushed due to trying to get to Vernal by nightfall but I think it took about 4/5 hours if I remember correctly.

The views at the pass, Lofty lake, coming out to the overview looking at Cuttthroat lake and Kamas lake are amazing! I have to say I really wish we could have spent more time and maybe fished at Kamas. Anywhere would be an ideal lunch spot.

The trail itself is in pretty decent shape. The only moderately sketchy part was coming off of Lofty and heading towards Kamas. There are several trails meandering about but as long as you have a basic map and know your directions it's pretty obvious which direction to head with using the mountains as landmarks. Sooner or later you will pick up the trail again.

There were several people (not too many) on the trail throughout the day so that put my little one at ease that we weren't lost. All in all, an awesome adventure! Highly recommended.

One of my all-time favorite hikes! The picture moments just keep coming.

An annual hike that we do counter clockwise. We like starting early in the morning and we always bring Deet to fend off the hungry mosquitoes! Wonderful views of many lakes, including Mirror Lake. Great hike!

Beautiful hike, did it counter-clockwise. We hiked trail to Lake Ruth and back to Lofty Lake trail, added 1.4 m. Rugged in a few places up and down. Eat lunch at Lofty lake and seemed to stop every bend or rise to take pictures. With pics and lunch and Ruth: 5 hour hike for us.

amazing hike! many more lakes than listed in the description. it's about 3 hours home for me, without stopping for the views.