Little Wild Horse Bell Canyon Trail

Little Wild Horse Bell Canyon Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hanksville, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Little Wild Horse Canyon is located in Emery County between the towns of Green River and Hanksville. From Green River, Utah follow I-70 west for 11 miles to Exit #149 and Highway 24. Follow Highway 24 south for 24 miles to mile maker 136 and the signed turn-off to Goblin Valley State Park. Follow the signs to Goblin Valley State Park. The signed turn-off to Little Wild Horse Canyon is located 11 miles from Highway 24 and 2 miles before the Goblin Valley State Park fee station on the west side of the road.

What a beautiful slot canyon! Went there at the beginning of June. Weather was 60’s when we started our hike at 8:00 AM. We went about 2 miles up LWH and were shaded for most of the hike. When we got back to the trailhead it was about 85 degrees. Took us about 3 1/2 hours with a few stops and a leisurely pace. Definitely want to do this one again and do the full loop. Although rumor is the bell side isn’t that spectacular.

My favorite slot canyon hike yet. Bell Canyon wasn't all that interesting. Little Wildhorse was amazing. The next time I do this hike, I'll just go up Little Wildhorse and turn around at the top. I'd rather see the amazingness of Little Wildhorse twice than drudge through Bell and the connector trail.

Be aware there is a lot exposure to the sun in parts of this hike. Bring plenty of water.

We hiked this trail with nine 14-15 year old boys and they had a blast. Little Wild Horse was great and the loop back down through Bell was easy. Definitely recommend hiking it the direction we did; easier in the scramble parts to go up rather than down.

This was so much fun. The trail is not well marked at the beginning. Go up the left side by the brown sign to get to the split point for Little Wild Horse and Bells. We had 2 tween/ teen girls and went in Little Wild Horse 2 mi and back out.

Excellent, beautiful hike and a great introduction to non-technical slot canyons. We were two adults with a 40 pound dog and consumed about 1.5 gallons of water on a hot, late May day. We started at 8 am and finished around 1 pm, with stops for snacks and lunch. We went up LWH, which was a fun and beautiful slot canyon, and down Bells. The middle part was more open and definitely exposed to the sun, so keep that in mind for water and sunscreen rations.

This was such a fun trail! We did the entire loop with our 6 & 8 year old, and they were just fine. Some water in LWH, but it was only about 2 ft deep. Not too strenuous. More like a long walk. We loved the canyon stretches best. More to climb on.

Hiked this for the first time yesterday (May 5) with my dogs and it's by far one of my favorite trails. Little Wild Horse was the toughest part, containing several sections of scrambling and a few narrows with standing water that required wading, the deepest of which easily surpassed 3ft. Carried the dogs through the deeper sections. Would definitely recommend some waterproof shoes and a dry bag for valuables. There's a long, largely exposed (no shade) stretch between LWH and Bell. Bell Canyon was much easier - no water here - but there were a few scrambles that topped 12ft. Had to lift the dogs up and over. Overall a great, moderately difficult hike. Be prepared to wade, pack plenty of water, snacks, and a change of socks.

Little Wild Horse has water sections, deepest goes to your belly button. I stemmed 2/3 of them.

Get started early, beat the heat and the yammering kids. :)

Returned and did this slot again with family. Just a simple fun slot. Great for a starter slot. doable by most any.

One of my favorites in the early spring! Also a great “entry level” slot canyon for people to experience!

Awesome

Fantastic hike! A must do AND NOTE LOOP DISTANCE IS ACTUALLY 11 Miles Not 8.

Great hike. Lots of fun. A little challenging at the start.

Great slot canyon. Actually three sets of slot canyons with a small wide area in between each section. Went up Little Wild Hors and backtracked same route. Took 3 1/2 hours. No water in the canyon which was a huge plus. Some mild scrambling. We are in our early 60s and did it without any problems. The temperature was 68 degrees and I would not recommend hiking it past 75 degrees. Bring plenty of water and a few snacks. Very crowded due to spring break in Utah but still a fantastic hike. Not to be missed if you are in the area.

Starts out as a great slot canyon, i think about two miles, then turns into a trail that leads to bell canyon. Getting out of wildhorse has two high scrambles that are about 12 feet each, but once out, it is easy from there. The downhill to bells canyon is the hardest part, but not too hard. Bells is most interesting at the end of the loop. Mid 40s, did it with my wife and 16 year old daughter, a little teamwork got us through the tough spots. Bring water, bright and sunny between canyons.

Great hike! did it by myself on a weekday and there;s nobody around. one star less because the central part that parallel with the bike trail is kinda boring. Very accessible slot canyon and so much diversity of rocks!

We loved this trail! Nice, easy hike! Great for a little weekend getaway!!

One of the best hikes I have ever been on. We didn’t make it past the deep water. However, we will definitely be going back.

Weather was perfect & the canyon was bone dry which was a nice surprise.

GPS tracks this at 9 miles. Did this today (1-5-18) and it was jaw-dropping, incredible slot canyons and towering rock walls. weather was nice and beauty was overwhelming!! i can't recommend it more.

Went on 11-11-17 and there was no water to wade thru. I would rate it as difficult simply because 8 miles is rather long and there were many times I had to scramble up/down so it was a full body workout. Not to mention a lack of signs and markers so thank goodness Alltrails works even though there was no service out there! Finished in 3.5 hours because I was worried about it getting dark and I was solo.

As far as slot canyons are concerned, this is the easiest we have ever done! However, it still posed some challenges. We took little wild horse in, and intended to come out bell (more on that in a later paragraph).

We went in early October, 5 days after a rain storm and we still needed to navigate through 1 1/2 - 3 feet of water. Most people turned back because getting wet waist deep in VERY cold water was too much. Not dangerous perse, but my 10 year old complained of numb toes for a good 10 minutes after we got through all the different water sections.

The cistern at the beginning of the hike was more than 6 feet full of water (my husband fell in and learned the hard way) so hang to the left and go up the trail if you want to avoid a full body soak.

You have to scramble the rocks to get out of little wild horse, and when you climb out of the cave like crack the correct path goes over some rocks and continues west. But, there are some yellow ribbons and cairns that elude that the trail goes south. The south ribbon and cairns take you to a bunch of overlooks. We got lost for 2 hours up top because we kept following cairns and didn't understand they were a side ventures for a long while. So, now being 4 hours in, we decided to go back out little horse instead of finishing the loop, and I decided I would warn other hikers to keep heading west! :)

Fun hike, and gorgeous!! Did Little Wildhorse first and then turned into Bells Canyon to take us back to the trailhead. As others have said, many just do Little Wildhorse so the trail is a lot quieter once you get about 3-4 miles into the loop. There was some water we waded through (just under knees) at about mile 1.5 that turned several groups back. We took our medium sized dog with us, and we did have to help her up and down quite a few obstacles, but it was well worth it! I would bring a dog harness. The hike took us 4.5 hours (quicker without a dog handicap). Weather was great! Crowds were there (Saturday) but again, only on the Little Wildhorse side, and most turned back by mile 3 or so. Make sure you have enough light to finish the hike, or bring headlamps! We got out by 4pm but another 30-45minutes and I would have liked to have a headlamp just in case, as the sun sets early now, and the canyons hides a lot of remaining sunlight.

The best! Did the loop with 2dogs... needed help with alot of the rocks due to the steepness/ dropoffs. Recommend dogs wear a harness to assist them with the climbs, all in all, a fabulous hike!

Beautiful slot canyons for about a mile. We didn't do the full loop due to water in a canyon but great trail with some up and overs due to fallen rocks. Dogs loved it!

Awesome hike. There is water about 1 mile up little wild horse. It was about mid thigh deep (I'm 5'7") and super cold. Because of the water, most people turned around at this point. Bell canyon was quite and crowd free.

beautiful place to go back next time but its better to camp out there for more trails to see i was there for only one day not much time to enjoy

Wonderful time on this loop.
While rated "moderate" there are some tough rock or ledge spots to get over or down. Beware of any recent rains. You could find yourself transversing walls or walking through waste deep, cold, muddy water.