Little Wild Horse Bell Canyon Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(457)
Crack Canyon Wilderness

Little Wild Horse Bell Canyon Trail is a 8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hanksville, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.0 miles Elevation Gain: 787 feet Route Type: Loop

Little Wild Horse Canyon is located in Emery County between the towns of Green River and Hanksville. From Green River, Utah follow I-70 west for 11 miles to Exit #149 and Highway 24. Follow Highway 24 south for 24 miles to mile maker 136 and the signed turn-off to Goblin Valley State Park. Follow the signs to Goblin Valley State Park. The signed turn-off to Little Wild Horse Canyon is located 11 miles from Highway 24 and 2 miles before the Goblin Valley State Park fee station on the west side of the road.

We went about 3 miles in and it was very beautiful love the beautiful rocks!

My wife and I had so much FUN on this trail! I highly recommend starting out early to avoid the heat because there are several points of exposure. This hike is also dog friendly, however we had to pick up our 35lb pup and pass her to one another on a few sections of the trail. For photography I recommend heading into the more narrow sections.

Amazing trail and stunning canyon!

If you plan on doing this as a loop I would highly recommend doing it counterclockwise. Start by going up Little Wild horse and come down Bell. There is a large elevation change in the exposed section between the canyons, so if you do it clockwise you’ll end up climbing rather than descending. Hopefully this helps, and enjoy this fabulous hike!

So many people. But absolutely beautiful.

Was fun only did half of the trail and we did just after goblin valley was very easy the 3.6 miles stead the whole loop the recommended people told us the other half was not ready impressed it

Very fun and easy for those that hike regularly! Might be more difficult for those not adapted to hike longer periods of time. Definitely had some narrow areas and had to do some climbing over/around rocky areas but definitely enjoyable especially with friends or family. Description says it’s 8 miles but we logged 10 miles when we did the entire loop. Make sure to check the weather before you head to this trail AND keep an eye out for rain clouds; it isn’t uncommon for flash floods to occur in this area.

I wouldn't recommend this for dogs without the proper harness, rope, and climbing/repelling knowledge for dogs!! Great trail. Expect to spend ~6 hours between taking photos, a little scrambling, and the length of the trail. AllTrails has this as 8.5 but I logged 9.5 miles. Also, there's no cell phone service in the area.

Relatively flat/easy trail. The canyon parts are really cool.

Awesome trail. If you’re already in, or passing through the area, this is a great hike with kids. Aside from the wind, this was perfect.

Great trail—clocked about 10miles for the entire hike. It was significantly busier than expected and because of the nature of the trail social distancing is challenging. Bell Canyon is less narrow, would suggest going thru Little Wild Horse Canyon first as that seemed to be the standard flow of traffic during our hike. Check the weather before heading out!

Very busy, but a great option for first timers through slot canyons! My partner wore chacos and mentioned close-toed shoes would have been a bit more comfortable as a good portion of the trail is loose sand/stone. The entire loop is fairly flat with some occasional mild inclines and scrambles up and over rocks.

We hiked Little Wild Horse Canyon first. This was a beautiful slot canyon with some narrow passages and some scrambling required. There was about a mile and a half section to connect to Bell Canyon. Lots of varied desert scenes. The entire trail is beautiful and interesting.

Great trail! But pretty packed. Lots of families with kids. I went around 10 am on a Sunday and it was packed and very hot in some sections, especially if you have dogs that have to walk on the sand. We only did little wild horse but I would definitely go back to do the full loop on a cooler day!

Awesome hike. Crowded at the beginning but empty later on! Cool slot canyons and the dog had a great time.

Completed this trail in the afternoon beginning around 1:30pm. The first mile or so was very exposed even though you are in a slot for parts, so bring lots of water. This is a perfect hike for someone who hasn’t done a slot before- all of the obstacles are easy to navigate and make the hike fun! Smaller dogs may need help getting up and down rocks.

amazing hike, I reccomend you bring plenty of water. I did the whole 8 miles and It did not disappoint! I dont recomend bringing dogs unless you can lift them over shoulder/ they are good at rock scrambles. I have a small dog so it wasn't too bad. the canyon is littered with geodes and you arnt short of any views. if exploring slot canyons and enjoying canyons is your thing, I reccomend this hike

Amazing view. Bring plenty of water, the views are amazing and it is really easy hike.

One of my favorite trails I’ve been on. However, I would not attempt this trail with a dog unless you can comfortably lift the dog up to shoulder height. I did the full loop clockwise with my Alaskan Malamute, and there were 3 areas we really struggled on since I cannot fully lift her (and she struggles when I try). It was physically and emotionally difficult for both of us during those parts. I would highly recommend doing the full loop even though the middle 3 miles aren’t as exciting because I loved going through both Bell and Little Wild Horse Canyon. Was definitely worth it!

My husband and I hiked up Little Wild Horse Canyon in April with our two dogs. The slot is pretty long, about 1.5 miles with some breaks. It is not technical at all, and our dogs did not need any help. We hiked up the canyon from the parking lot about 3 miles, and then came back down Little Wild Horse as well. We do not venture into Bell Canyon. The slots are very beautiful. When we started about 9am, there was only one car in the parking lot. We passed about three groups when we were coming down canyon around noon. This was during the time of social distancing, so I'm sure this canyon is much busier during a normal April due to it's easy access from HWY 24 and lack of technicality. There was no water in the canyon. I can see plenty of places where water would pool after some rain. Lovely place. I will come back and go up Bell Canyon another day.

This is a great trail for families. A couple spots with climbing, but most any kids could do it. The back part of the loop is a bit boring- it’s about 3 miles on a dirt road which is less exciting, but the slots are great.

with kids I would suggest going To the right for about 2 miles and then turn around. the slot canyons are fun, but the rest is not as fun so kids will start to get bored. good hike

Awesome hike! Sunny, clear skies. The trail wasn't too crowded. Very dry, bring lots of water, especially if you have a dog with you. Our dog drank the most out of any of us. Also, some parts in the slot canyon might be difficult for a dog so be ready to help them/give them a lift.

Really fun trail, mostly sand and some areas that you’ll need to be a bit more active to navigate through. Perfect weather, maybe five cars in the parking lot - hardy saw anyone. Beautiful landscapes. We did the entire loop in 3.5 - two teenagers loved it.