Little Wild Horse Bell Canyon Trail

Little Wild Horse Bell Canyon Trail is a 8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hanksville, Utah and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Little Wild Horse Canyon is located in Emery County between the towns of Green River and Hanksville. From Green River, Utah follow I-70 west for 11 miles to Exit #149 and Highway 24. Follow Highway 24 south for 24 miles to mile maker 136 and the signed turn-off to Goblin Valley State Park. Follow the signs to Goblin Valley State Park. The signed turn-off to Little Wild Horse Canyon is located 11 miles from Highway 24 and 2 miles before the Goblin Valley State Park fee station on the west side of the road.

1 hour ago

Went on 11-11-17 and there was no water to wade thru. I would rate it as difficult simply because 8 miles is rather long and there were many times I had to scramble up/down so it was a full body workout. Not to mention a lack of signs and markers so thank goodness Alltrails works even though there was no service out there! Finished in 3.5 hours because I was worried about it getting dark and I was solo.

As far as slot canyons are concerned, this is the easiest we have ever done! However, it still posed some challenges. We took little wild horse in, and intended to come out bell (more on that in a later paragraph).

We went in early October, 5 days after a rain storm and we still needed to navigate through 1 1/2 - 3 feet of water. Most people turned back because getting wet waist deep in VERY cold water was too much. Not dangerous perse, but my 10 year old complained of numb toes for a good 10 minutes after we got through all the different water sections.

The cistern at the beginning of the hike was more than 6 feet full of water (my husband fell in and learned the hard way) so hang to the left and go up the trail if you want to avoid a full body soak.

You have to scramble the rocks to get out of little wild horse, and when you climb out of the cave like crack the correct path goes over some rocks and continues west. But, there are some yellow ribbons and cairns that elude that the trail goes south. The south ribbon and cairns take you to a bunch of overlooks. We got lost for 2 hours up top because we kept following cairns and didn't understand they were a side ventures for a long while. So, now being 4 hours in, we decided to go back out little horse instead of finishing the loop, and I decided I would warn other hikers to keep heading west! :)

Fun hike, and gorgeous!! Did Little Wildhorse first and then turned into Bells Canyon to take us back to the trailhead. As others have said, many just do Little Wildhorse so the trail is a lot quieter once you get about 3-4 miles into the loop. There was some water we waded through (just under knees) at about mile 1.5 that turned several groups back. We took our medium sized dog with us, and we did have to help her up and down quite a few obstacles, but it was well worth it! I would bring a dog harness. The hike took us 4.5 hours (quicker without a dog handicap). Weather was great! Crowds were there (Saturday) but again, only on the Little Wildhorse side, and most turned back by mile 3 or so. Make sure you have enough light to finish the hike, or bring headlamps! We got out by 4pm but another 30-45minutes and I would have liked to have a headlamp just in case, as the sun sets early now, and the canyons hides a lot of remaining sunlight.

The best! Did the loop with 2dogs... needed help with alot of the rocks due to the steepness/ dropoffs. Recommend dogs wear a harness to assist them with the climbs, all in all, a fabulous hike!

Beautiful slot canyons for about a mile. We didn't do the full loop due to water in a canyon but great trail with some up and overs due to fallen rocks. Dogs loved it!

Awesome hike. There is water about 1 mile up little wild horse. It was about mid thigh deep (I'm 5'7") and super cold. Because of the water, most people turned around at this point. Bell canyon was quite and crowd free.

beautiful place to go back next time but its better to camp out there for more trails to see i was there for only one day not much time to enjoy

Wonderful time on this loop.
While rated "moderate" there are some tough rock or ledge spots to get over or down. Beware of any recent rains. You could find yourself transversing walls or walking through waste deep, cold, muddy water.

So much fun! Only went up Wild Horse as bad weather was approaching. After the gulch you enter Wild Horse on the right. The first 3rd is easy, enjoyable and pretty standard for a slot. The middle 3rd is fantastic! Some great narrows, snakelike sections and some nice coloring. Final 3rd is a combo of the first 2, well worth the effort. next time will complete the loop through Bell.