Little Water Trail (Millcreek)

Little Water Trail (Millcreek) is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

skiing

Trail head is at the end of Mill Creek Canyon Road. The trail offers mountain views along the way. Deer are sighted often on the trail.

The map shows a trail running off the Great Western and there is no such trail. You need to go to Dog Lake and go up from there.

Loved it! Wouldn't rate it hard at all. Beautiful in the fall

Went up little water trail, it wasn't as hard as some of the other hikes we've done, but it was a continuously uphill hike. On the way down we took the path of big water trail which ends up in the same parking lot as little. Much easier but a little longer trail but still good! Not too many other hikers because it was a weekday. No bugs which was nice, brought bug spray just in case. The tree's are dropping huge amounts of yellow leaves so it was very pretty,

Only one star because there is another listing for the Little Water Trail. Don't get me wrong, it's a great trail. Just see the other listing.

To be fair, I haven't hiked the whole Little Water Trail. However, I have hiked (essentially) the whole trail shown on this map. This goes up via the little water trail to the Great Western Trail (GWT) then show a non-existent trail (as of fall 2016) up Little Water Peak. I crisscrossed this path multiple times, and can tell you that the trail up to little water peak does not exist. However, the actual little water trail continues up from the junction on this map and crosses the big water trail to reach Dog Lake (If you want to reach Little Water Peak, follow game trails from the junction just above Dog Lake. They are worn enough that if you just continue uphill you'll get there. Come down the same way unless you like bushwhacking.)
All the above aside, the lower half of Little Water is lovely, not too steep (although steeper than Big Water), and I believe that the upper half (not shown on the track) is similar.

beautiful, some sections a little steeper, mostly shaded throughout.

Friday, August 12, 2016

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I do my hikes on weekdays to avoid crowds, so I found serenity almost the entire trail. The scenery is like a fairytale! Wildflowers, meadows, bubbling streams... just perfect. It is steep, but there are flat parts for you to catch your breath. The lake at the end was warm enough to swim in. Overall I feel in love with this trail. My pup also loved it!

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Thursday, July 21, 2016

7.20.2016 | 6:00-8:00PM Round Trip
Must Have: Bug Repellent

First time and was disappointed. It's a good short workout but there were SO MANY FLIES. Maybe I just went at bug o'clock, maybe it's being near the water, maybe this is their kingdom due to high traffic and dogs/dog poop, but regardless of dousing myself in bug spray I couldn't get away from them. They'd repeatedly fly into my face and I felt like I should've just windmilled my arms the whole time to get some peace!

There was rarely a breeze and the lake was COATED with mosquitoes so I didn't let my GSD swim as planned. Going down wasn't as buggy and I picked up multiple abandoned poop bags and old piles to pack out and throw away. I'll give this trail a second chance at some point but it certainly didn't leave a good first impression.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Sunday, July 10, 2016

It was pretty steep, so I would not recommend it for a starter trail, but it was really pretty and we saw some moose.

Saturday, October 24, 2015