Little Water Trail (Millcreek)

Little Water Trail (Millcreek) is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

1975 feet

skiing

Trail head is at the end of Mill Creek Canyon Road. The trail offers mountain views along the way. Deer are sighted often on the trail.

The map shows a trail running off the Great Western and there is no such trail. You need to go to Dog Lake and go up from there.

Monday, October 03, 2016

Loved it! Wouldn't rate it hard at all. Beautiful in the fall

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Went up little water trail, it wasn't as hard as some of the other hikes we've done, but it was a continuously uphill hike. On the way down we took the path of big water trail which ends up in the same parking lot as little. Much easier but a little longer trail but still good! Not too many other hikers because it was a weekday. No bugs which was nice, brought bug spray just in case. The tree's are dropping huge amounts of yellow leaves so it was very pretty,

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Only one star because there is another listing for the Little Water Trail. Don't get me wrong, it's a great trail. Just see the other listing.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

To be fair, I haven't hiked the whole Little Water Trail. However, I have hiked (essentially) the whole trail shown on this map. This goes up via the little water trail to the Great Western Trail (GWT) then show a non-existent trail (as of fall 2016) up Little Water Peak. I crisscrossed this path multiple times, and can tell you that the trail up to little water peak does not exist. However, the actual little water trail continues up from the junction on this map and crosses the big water trail to reach Dog Lake (If you want to reach Little Water Peak, follow game trails from the junction just above Dog Lake. They are worn enough that if you just continue uphill you'll get there. Come down the same way unless you like bushwhacking.)
All the above aside, the lower half of Little Water is lovely, not too steep (although steeper than Big Water), and I believe that the upper half (not shown on the track) is similar.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

beautiful, some sections a little steeper, mostly shaded throughout.

Friday, August 12, 2016

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I do my hikes on weekdays to avoid crowds, so I found serenity almost the entire trail. The scenery is like a fairytale! Wildflowers, meadows, bubbling streams... just perfect. It is steep, but there are flat parts for you to catch your breath. The lake at the end was warm enough to swim in. Overall I feel in love with this trail. My pup also loved it!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

It was pretty steep, so I would not recommend it for a starter trail, but it was really pretty and we saw some moose.

Friday, September 25, 2015

The aspens are changing colors and look absolutely stunning. I had a great time on this hike last weekend :)

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Good trail. People need to pack out the dog poop if they bring their dogs. Trail was littered with plastic bags full of poop. Scenery good. Would rather of biked it and prefer less dogs. Will gladly do it again

Sunday, August 02, 2015

Great hike!!! Beautiful trail and it's fun to have a lake to hike to!! Not extremely busy for a weekend! Lots of dogs and people don't follow the leash rule on even numbered days.

Sunday, August 02, 2015

I think we went up the old trail and were told it was a little harder. I bit of a work out! The flowers and stream were so pretty though!

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Good once you get on the trail!!! Parking lot is a nightmare. Filled with people who aren't even there to hike... Even witnessed a lady fighting over a parking spot.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Little Water Trail is beautiful. From this trail you can hike to different destinations such a Dog Lake, Desolation Lake and others. Trail directions are clearly marked along trail as well as the trail head is clearly marked. Parking is limited up at trail head but there are two over flow parking areas. Trail is smooth with a steady incline. Dogs on leash allowed on odd days and cyclist allowed on even days. Plenty of flowers and trees and wildlife to see. Trail can get crowded so early mornings are best to have uncrowded hiking conditions. There is a water feature hence the name Little Water Trail, bridges to cross and mountain views to see. Definitely a beautiful leisurely hiking trail. Check each destination on this trail for miles, although there are clearly marked signs on the trail indicating miles to destination.

geocaching
Sunday, July 05, 2015

Great for kids. We had a blast! Our dog did as well..

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

There's lots of flora and fauna. It's a beautiful hike and you can take it to Dog Lake, or even a roundabout way to Desolation Lake. There are a lot of mountain bikers on this trail system, so definitely keep your dogs on leash on the even days. I was pretty careful to keep my dog at the edge of the trail but the bikers caught me off guard a couple times.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Another way to get to dog lake.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Beautiful all the way up. There are several trails that connect into and branch off of each other. Good signage makes following the trails easy. It is pretty steep in some parts but our little wiener dog made it all the way up with no help. It was quite busy, lots of people and dogs.

Bikes are allowed on the trails and dogs have to be on a leash on even numbered days. On odd numbered days, no bikes and dogs can be off leash.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

I came down this trail today. Glad I didn't go up! It is a bit steep with lots of loose rock, gravel. This would be a good trail for those who need to tone up!

Thursday, July 21, 2016

7.20.2016 | 6:00-8:00PM Round Trip
Must Have: Bug Repellent

First time and was disappointed. It's a good short workout but there were SO MANY FLIES. Maybe I just went at bug o'clock, maybe it's being near the water, maybe this is their kingdom due to high traffic and dogs/dog poop, but regardless of dousing myself in bug spray I couldn't get away from them. They'd repeatedly fly into my face and I felt like I should've just windmilled my arms the whole time to get some peace!

There was rarely a breeze and the lake was COATED with mosquitoes so I didn't let my GSD swim as planned. Going down wasn't as buggy and I picked up multiple abandoned poop bags and old piles to pack out and throw away. I'll give this trail a second chance at some point but it certainly didn't leave a good first impression.