Little Death Hollow is a 21 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length21.0 miElevation gain2,096 ftRoute typeOut & back
BackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsDog friendlyViewsWildflowersWildlifeNo shade
Waypoints (0)
Photos (46)
Activities (7)
Completed (26)
David Plemons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 18, 2019
Hiking

This is one of my favorite hikes. Recommend as an overnight hike. It has some obstacles and challenges along the way. The whole experience from the drive in on the dirt road was beautiful. Parked vehicle at the end of hike, Wolverine TH. Start hike at the LDH TH. The most difficult part of the hike is the last few miles of LDH. When you will have the most fatigue, so give yourself plenty of time to get through this section and time to rest. There’s good camping at the confluence of LDH and Wolverine. There’s also a good spot around mile 9. We hiked when it was mostly dry with a few puddles towards the end of LDH, which were crossed with some climbing and balancing across a few logs. This was a super amazing experience. Would love to do this again. The Wolverine section is not as difficult and completes the hike with so much beauty.

View David's activity
Jason Money
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 18, 2018
Hiking

I'm 99% sure, these pictures are from Death Hollow, a very different hike north of Lower Calf Creek Falls.

Wing Butler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 3, 2018
Backpacking

21 mile loop through the slot canyon that is Little Death Hollow (10m), then to Escalante River (2.5m) for a refreshing overnighter splash for day 1. After lounging in the river and swimming, we headed back up through Wolverine Canyon (9m). If you have only one car, add 2.5 miles to walk the dirt road from Wolverine trailhead to the Little Death hollow trailhead. We (my daughters: 9, 12, 17) cut our trip by one night because the springs on the map were all dried up! So we had to get to the cars before we ran out. So this trip ended up being a one nighter and we did more miles than expected due to the search for water. Little Death Hollow is absolutely fun! The slot Canyon (3 feet wide width apart on either side) goes on for several miles. I was worried that we’d only see that kind of terrain for several hundred feet, but it runs a couple of miles. Absolutely worth the trip alone. After that we headed down to the river since that was the source of water. I’m glad we did since it was the “only” water source. And an absolutely rejuvenating river, since it’s not a trickle, but enough to wade in and swim the deeper pools. It’s was clearer than I thought it’d be, enough to spot fish darting from cover to cover. Wear pants for that part, the deer flies will bite you all the way down. I was wearing pants, it’s no bother. I happen to have the zip on and was grateful. The other adult in my party only had shorts, and he was slapping as swatting every 3-5 steps. It sure helped us pick up the pace! The trip back up the Wolverine Canyon is breathtaking too. You trade the soft curves of slot style canyons for Swiss cheese pock marks along the Canyon walls. While not qualifying as a slot, the pass weaves in and out of 5 foot to 30 feet widths. So you still get the maze feel of the slots. My contours map showed two springs up above the canyon. While there’s trails there, the energy spent on climbing elevation was rewarded with old, abandoned, dried up, horse watering springs. So no water to show for the hard work. Perhaps it was the wrong time of year. The actual hiking is moderate, probably due to the minimal elevations change and mostly gradually down hill, but the single water source and distances to get back to your car makes it a ‘hard’ rating, and why I give it a 4 star rating. My daughters seriously loved it! I don’t see how people can go into Little Death hollow and back, as I think it’d prove difficult to climb over some of the obstacles, like a boulder in the slot or a mud puddle blocked by debris. Going down is fine, just not up. Some go above the slot, but then to me, what’s the point! if you’re not in the slot.

Kali Thomas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2017
Backpacking

Did my first backpacking trip on this trail! It was quite the adventure, hard but also so rewarding. Camping spots are pretty designated but also available for wherever you want to camp. The first day was rough because it was just plain desert and bloody hot. Water was higher than usual according to people who had done this. Trail was not always easy to follow. We got lost at the very beginning. There is one part of the trail where we needed to have help getting around a boulder and I would not recommend going alone on this trail. But it has been done by a girl we saw along the way. Also there was different parts of quick sand at the end of the trail.

Ryan Ulch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 13, 2016
Backpacking

If your able to have 2 cars park one at the wolverine trailhead and hike out through the wolverine petrified forest. I've done this one multiple times and plan to do it again.

Dianne Macdonald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 23, 2016

We hiked this trail last week ( mid October) The Cottonwoods where changing color which added another dimension to the trail. There was some knee deep water in Little Death Hollow. A spectacular hike.

Rick Wahlquist
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2016
Hiking

An awesome hike and experience. I started at the Little Death Hollow Trail Head and did the Wolverine Canyon Loop. I did this as a day hike. My guide book said it was 15.2 miles, my GPS clocked in at 19.73 miles with no extra side trips. There is a lot of winding around, the amazing slots go on for miles. There is impressive petrified wood all along the trek. Be prepared for the length and weather conditions.

Elliott Ferris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 2, 2015
First to Review

We hiked down Wolverine Canyon, spent the night in Horse Canyon, and then hike up Little Death Hollow. I especially liked Wolverine Canyon. We encountered a fair number of obstacles in the lower part of Little Death Hollow, but nothing that required rope.

Vaune Pelletier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 9, 2021
View Vaune's activity
Shane Kistel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 26, 2020
View Shane 's activity
Daisy Grey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 26, 2019
View Daisy's activity
Marlene King
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2018
View Marlene's activity
Wing Butler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 1, 2018
View Wing's activity