Little Cottonwood Trail

Little Cottonwood Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 898 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I completed this trail on my Hardtail. It was a bit of a challenging climb with how rocky sections of the trail are but doable for anyone with moderate fitness and good gearing. The downhill was nice but given the hikers on the trail you need to go slow.

The first half mile was disappointing but absolutely beautiful once you got farther in. Not sure I would classify this as moderate. I’ve had much harder moderate hikes but it was fun and peaceful. Lots of shade once you got past the first little bit. Watch out for mountain bikers as they’re not very good at announcing their presence when they come up behind you. Scared the begeebies out of us a few times.

Cool hike, easy incline. Saw a snake. 10/10 would hike again.

I road this trail mountain biking. It's an awesome trail. In my opinion, this is an upper intermediate/advanced trail mountain biking. It definitely has some a couple steep and rugged technical climbs/drops. Awesome trail. Stays close to to the river which makes for an absolutely beautiful trail.

little mini hike with my mini

Great trail with great views.

Lots of streams and trails for mountain bikers... pretty wide road... basically down hill and all up hill to leave... not bad when your stopping at the streams with a little one .. shady areas. Very pretty!

Did this trail on 6.23.19. Plenty of shade throughout, not very crowded. River was rushing, a couple of muddy spots but nothing too bad. Great views throughout. Would definitely do this hike again. We crossed the road at the end to hike Lisa Falls and that was very crowded in comparison.

Hiked this yesterday. Like others, I also recommend finishing with crossing the street (carefully- the cars are flying!) to Lisa Falls. Lisa Falls is very pretty and a great picnic spot before turning around. Once you cross street and find trail head, you still have to hike another 5 minutes or so to get to the falls coming down the rocks. I heard from fellow hikers that these falls will probably dry up with the season change, so try to get there soon! Overall, beautiful trail with lots of trees, gorgeous water, boulders and maybe even a campsite or two (not sure rules on that)!

I would definitely consider it on the easy side of “moderate.” Visited on a weekday and it wasn’t crowded. Lots of shade and beautiful views. Trail is wide enough to not worry about getting run over by bikers. Some rocky parts here and there but nothing challenging by any means. I will definitely be returning again!

Hike Lisa Falls across the roadway first and finish with this trail! The River is roaring and absolutely breathtaking. We are from out of town and found this to be an easy hike. Will definitely do this again in the future!

Lots of water in the river. No snow. Dry trail. Warm weather.

Rocky, but not a deal breaker, just annoying.

Lots of bikes but paths are pretty wide. Beautiful now with the river flowing so strong. I’ll go again!

One of my favorite trails but go during the week otherwise it gets crowded with hikers, bikers and runners. It's mostly shaded and at some points right now the stream runs through the trail but it's not crazy muddy. Happy hiking

The last time I went up this trail was 2018 at the end of the summer. I would definitely rate this one on the higher side of moderate, only for the fact that the incline was rough. My friend and I only saw one other person on the trail. It was afternoon when we went. Nice hike to a beautiful view! So recommend!!

recorded Little Cottonwood Trail

December 11th...snow packed trail. Fun hike and super peaceful with all the snow. Didn’t even use my snowtrax.

Monday, September 17, 2018

it's good with great info

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

LOTS OF BIKES! Just be alert but that was even on a Tuesday evening at 5:30. The first part of the trail is lame bc it’s a sand and gravel road and the water was under in the canal so no creek to cool you off. Hike does get better after you get past the hydro plant - look for the trail signs (small, wood, slightly faded) to figure out where to go.

Monday, June 25, 2018

My only complaint is it’s barely wide enough for hikers and cyclists.

Saturday, May 12, 2018

My husband and I completed this hike on May 5, 2018. We had a difficult time finding the trailhead using the "directions" feature of AllTrails. Not sure if it was the fault of AllTrails or GoogleMaps, but we definitely got turned around a few times. Once we got going, though, it was a lovely, scenic trail. It takes you along the river for the majority of the hike, so there's multiple spots to stop and enjoy the sights and sounds of the rushing river. The trail is shaded more than half the time. There are also great views of the granite walls of the mountain. It was this granite that was used to help build the SLC Temple. The trail is slightly uphill the whole way, with a few instances of a more moderate incline. The only drawback is that the trail is always within a few hundred feet of the canyon road, so you can hear car noise on occasion. Overall a lovely hike!

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Surprisingly delightful along the stream. Did this in early spring to take the long way to Lisa Falls. There’s some historic structures along the route, some have unfortunately been graffitied and trashed

Monday, July 24, 2017

Beautiful trail, so much to see! One of my favorites. Starts in the Temple Quarry parking lot. I'd recommend walking the super short Temple Quarry trail first, lots of interesting information! I hiked this trail on a Sunday afternoon in July and hardly encountered anyone. There were a handful of bikers and a few hikers and campers, but otherwise it was very peaceful. It was a very steady incline the whole way out; if you want a shorter hike, I'd recommend parking along the road further up from the Temple Quarry lot and dropping in to the Little Cottonwood trail from there. Note: Many reviews listed under the Temple Quarry trail include the Little Cottonwood trail also.