Leprechaun Canyon is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hanksville, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and nature trips and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 544 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

Leprechaun Slot Canyon begins at a canyon that soon narrows into a nice slot before narrowing even more. At the junction with the East Fork it leads up to an "inscription chamber" where people have left their names scratched into the wall over the last 50 years. The slot becomes restrictive but doable in areas. It is recommended you come prepared with the correct gear and leave your pets at home.

First of all, I think it's important to specify that there's 2 ways to enjoy this Canyon: 1 is a short hike from the road, up the bottom of the canyon. Secondly, you can hike up around the top of the slickrock and rappel in at various points for some canyoneering. As I have no gear and have a 7 yr old along I initially crossed this hike off my list because of some reviews that make it seem like canyoneering is the only option here. Luckily we stopped at the BLM office and they recommended it to us (we did the short hike up the bottom of the canyon from the road - the BLM had a trail sheet that was helpful). My 7 yr old LOVED this trail!! He is hooked on slots now! It is a short trail, but it really packs a punch (plus it's summer in the desert and I have a little kid, so short is good, and also allowed for some extra time to explore up another dead end). So, after the canyon starts to narrow a bit, there is a point where you are in some tall bushes and can choose to go left through a fun little section of narrows (its tight getting up out the far end - and maybe 20 ft high), which my son and I did - or just climb over the slickrock on your right (which my husband did - and could watch us from above - and grab our packs from above when we were struggling to squeeze through). My kid thought it was a blast and ran around to do it again. Pretty soon the canyon walls rise way up into a beautiful subway section - and then those tall walls narrow up again into a gorgeous narrows with just a strip of light coming down from above. After this you get to the junction where it is VERY tight, but you can squeeze up to the right to see the "inscription chamber" (immediately after that junction). We also squeezed in to the left (called Belfast Boulevard) and shuffled in maybe 20 ft just to get a sense of how far that slot went (it just kept going), and how claustrophobic we could feel in a short period of time in there. In summary, once the hike gets interesting, it all happens very fast, so it's not one that's going to take you very long if you are just hiking it. It was, however, the highlight of hiking on this trip for my kid (and me), and a part of a bigger day that included waking up in the Henry Mountains, exploring and pictures at Little Egypt, a short swim at Lake Powell, and more exploring at the Henry's again (and other than Lake Powell, we were the only people around everywhere we went). Great Day!

First of all, what is called the "inscription chamber" is really canyon graffiti that is prohibited and punishable by law. Please do not deface the canyon walls in this manner. This is without a doubt a technical canyoneering route, a very beginner friendly one, but still requires gear and skills to descend safely. Not sure why anyone would call it a hiking trail. Although, a determined hiker could descend into and exit the canyon at a cross joint approximately 1/3 of the way down canyon (N38 02' 01", W110 31' 19"). They could go up as far as possible and down the same, but would advise against going down anything you cannot climb back up. A short rope and partners to assist would help. Near the end of the Right Fork, there is a 15 foot drop, part of which is free hanging, that is rappelled from a deadman anchor buried in the sand. If you are not prepared for this, pass on this canyon. Better canyon information here: https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/utah/north-wash/leprechaun

Beautiful trail, but please be warned: this is not a dog friendly trail. We did it from the trail head, although we speculate that starting from the other end would have been different, and at the bend of the canyon it gets far too technical to pass without gear. At the trailhead, you’ll encounter a lot of slick rock that you can navigate fairly easy. Once you mount this, you’ll have incredible views of the mountain ranges beyond. After this, you’ll see the trail that goes around the upper canyon. You’ll follow this easy to navigate trail until you hit the bend where you will see the beginning of a steep slot canyon. You’ll notice here that there’s a climbing anchor. Please know this is here for a reason. You definitely need gear to follow this route. If you have a pup with you, it’s our experience that you need to turn around at this point, although we did not experience the canyon from the other way. We tried further along the rim trail until you hit more slick rock, then you’ll see a sand slide (it looks a bit like an avalanche chute) and we scrambled down this only to find (perhaps erroneously) that the smaller slot canyon was not passable with our equipment on hand, so we had to scramble back up this slide, arguably a class 3-4 scramble, to get back to the slick rock and back track. 100% worth it for the views and adventure, but at the very least know this is a bit more technical than it sounds. Above all, I wouldn’t attempt to take pups on this trail especially with the canyoneering involved.

recorded Leprechaun Canyon

Not doable after Rain. But still the Canyon is great.

Surprising slot and very, very accessible — right off the highway. Does get quite narrow and requires a bit of creativity in places.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Nice Hike first Trail sandy.

Sunday, February 11, 2018