Lava Tube Trail

Lava Tube Trail is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near St George, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

cave

partially paved

This is the real American Southwest, with a wildness and emptiness that allows you a taste of frontier life.

The scenery in Snow Canyon is beautiful. However, the lava tubes were not what I expected. Only one of them is large enough to actually enter and it would require repelling equipment to do so. The other two are are more like piles of lava rocks with small voids that you can crawl into. They don't go into the earth any distance, it's more like crawling under an overhang. The walk to get there is rocky, but very short and simple to navigate. The view from the overlook is worth the walk, but don't expect much of an adventure in the tubes.

We really enjoyed this trail - we got a little turned around and started heading down the Whiterocks trail. We were happy to have done so, however, because we got to check out some beautiful tri-color petrified dunes (not to be confused with the Petrified Dunes trail). After getting back on the right trail, we passed a couple more lava tube openings. The trail itself wasn’t too heavily trafficked, but the lava tube openings were basically tourist traps, so we steered clear. There was a great offshoot to the Overlook rock formation. My five year old, who did this trail with us, waited in a cool sandstone cave about half way up with my mom, and my husband and I went to the top. That required a little scrambling, but nothing major and the views were worth it. Overall, the trail was pretty flat for the most part, but the rockiness made it difficult (or at least uncomfortable) to navigate at times. Snow Canyon was beautiful and this was a great way to enjoy some of its beauty.

Easy hiking on land, and only moderate challenge climbing into the tubes with kids. No gear needed, outside of a flashlight. Tubes are not long, so, while you should hike with extra batteries, we weren't at a loss without them.

Hike was short but the weather couldn’t have been better. The first lava tube was more for the caving type, steep decent. I wouldn’t recommend for younger kids. Or an older person like me (60). The second tube on your right had an easier decent that almost anyone can navigate. It doesn’t go very deep but it will be fun for the younger kids and us old folks. Really hard to get lost in this cave. Sign at the entrance is good to follow. Perfect hike on a hot day. I’ve enjoyed this fun little hike for over 44 years. If your in them at dusk I’m guessing the bat population exiting will start your heart a pumping. Saw bat guano in both lava tubes.

The loose softball sized lava rocks were a pain in the butt on a bike. The scenery makes it worth doing, but if I do this trail again, I’ll leave the bike at home.

We started about 1/2 hour before sunset. I think we should have started 45-60 minutes before sunset to get to the end of the trail before dark. We did not quite make it to the end of the trail, but not sure if that matters (since it was dark already by the time we started back, we heard coyotes howling in the distance... glad we did not go any further down!). We saw three 'tubes', I think the last one we saw was the easiest to go down into. Come with a flashlight. The first one you see, is quite a deep pit, which I am not sure you can get down into. We did not go into any of them. I would consider this trail moderate. The way to the end is all going down in elevation, and if you're not used to walking on rocky surfaces, it can slow you down. I felt coming up was easier.

This was a great hike, beautiful scenery and going into the lava tubes was something I will never forget.

this is an amazing hike.

the trail is easy but the climb down into the lava was more than my 6 year wanted/could handle.

Great views of lava rock, flowers, caves and mountains. Not much shade and very hot in the summer.

We've done this hike several times and finally thought to bring some headlamps. The caves are nice and cool so if you bring water you will be fine out in the sun. Fun for kids to discover.

Short enough even on a hot day. Bring a flashlight/headlamp for the lava tubes. There are 2 which are 100's of feet long into the ground and out of day light. Our 7 year old was more than able to scramble in and the teen's loved it.

Great adventure for families, and anyone wanting a short hike it’s a sun break. The lave tube were fun and nice cool break from the sun. We climbed down in them and the kids loved it.

Great walk over rocks and lava. A beautiful sunny day.

Love the views and exploring the lava tubes! Bring headlamps and water!

We love this hike. It’s a regular for us. It’s beautiful. But it’s really popular so arrive early. We got in at 7:30 am and had the whole trail to ourselves. By the time we left the little parking lot was full.

Great trail one day is not enough to explore everything.

Easy hike with amazing views. Going into the lava tubes is cool but climbing on top of a cool rock structure was probably my favorite though. The view was amazing!

Wonderful experience! The hike getting to the Lava Tubes is easy to follow. It’s exciting being able to explore the tubes. Bring a flashlight and don’t be afraid to get some dirt on you. There are three tubes that you can explore.

Nice hike. The lava tube was really cool! It's a tight fit in some spots. You will definitely need lighting, as it is pitch black inside the tube. We used miner's type lighting so that our hands were free. You can go quite a ways in the tube. It eventually stops so there is no way of getting lost.

Such a fun trail! Great for the kids. Loved the interesting facts posted on information markers near the lava tubes and fields. There was a moderate amount of traffic but the closer we got to the overlook, the fewer people we came across. Looking forward to visiting again to explore the tubes a bit more.

Awesome trial! Tube entrances were amazing can't wait to go back and explore again soon!

This trail is definitely an easy one full of different tubes to climb into an explore.

The hike should be rated as easy. Lava tube was very unique!

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

The hike is actually easy, not moderate. It is mostly walking through sagebrush until you get to the lava caves and some fun rock formations to climb on.

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Love going down inside the huge lava tube about 3/4 a mile in

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Short walk to the lava caves. Fun scramble into the lava caves. It’s cooler temperature inside the caves, and dark. The kids had a fun time. Bring glow sticks, but please don’t leave them behind.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

This trail was a lot of fun, with several different ways to access. We connected to the lava tubes trail via the petrified dunes. The tube we explored had a few ways in, with plenty of fun little scrambles. Great hike!

Friday, July 14, 2017

I went into all 3 lava caves with my friends and all 3 of them are caved in. we searched all the areas of all the caves but they were caved in. the farthest we got was in the first cave and traveled a few hundred feet before it was over. it looked fun but now the caves are caved in.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Loved this. Especially the cool temps of the tubes themselves. Super cool if you're a geology nerd too.