Lathrop Canyon Trail

Lathrop Canyon Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,582 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv / off road driving

Directions from Island in the Sky Visitor Center: Travel southward along Utah 313 2 miles to the Lathrop Trailhead on the eastern side of the road.

off road driving

FYI, No OHV allowed on trail, we had rented a Yamaha Wolverine but were not allowed to drive out on this trail :-(

Beautiful views and interesting terrain, just a shame that you share the trail with Jeeps if you go all the way to the river.

Do yourself a favor and save this trail for sometime in the fall or spring. I did it 7/12 and thought I was going to get heat stroke. This is a BRUTAL hike in the heat and even a gallon of water wasn’t enough for me. The views are incredible, but fearing for my life kind of took away from them. I went all the way to the bottom of the canyon (5.3 miles). I never saw a single person on this trail. Use better judgment than me and wait til it’s a bit cooler than 105 degrees to do this hike. It just might save your life. This hike would be tough any time of year, but far more manageable in cooler temps.

Views from the overlook section are stupendous over Canyonlands. Only ventured short way down zigzags before returning.

It wasn’t as bad as I expected! We ended up turning back at a little over 5 miles just to get home in time. But amazing views and so many different terrains!

We took the jeep on White Rim Road and started from there, heading up the trail. I do not recommend this. 1. our Jeep was a standard rental from Salt Lake City so we felt like maracas going down the road. 2. The ascent is rock covered stairs and rock covered switchbacks. It sucked going up and sucked going down. Here’s how to do it: Start at the trailhead down from the Visitors Center and walk thru the boring grasslands. You will come to an overlook area that is phenomenal. This is the reward of the hike. You will know this is the stopping/overlook place because if you continue on the trail you will immediately be doing a hairpin turn heading back west. This will take you to the switchbacks, which are completely unnecessary because there is nothing else to see. And I mean nothing. There is nothing at the lower elevation. If you continue on you will just be picking your way across the rocky mountain face. Then you will just have to return and pick your way back up...and hate this trail like I did.

Amazing hike! Did this trail a year ago and it was amazing but rough. We came into the trail not knowing anything. During mid-May this was quite a rough hike back up with my DSLR camera. I would for sure do it again (obviously without my camera!)

Did hike today may 1 and was one of best at canyonlands if looking to push it a little. Big drop harder going down than when you come back for me. We did not push all way out to white rim road but got close. That was 13 plus miles and if you want more like 10-11 hike to bottom and go out another half or mike and retreat. Took us about 4 1/2 hours to do about 11 miles but we hike fast. Great hike and because it was 35 degrees when we started was not hot.

Southern Utah is a precious place on earth. I spent 2 days hiking this trail and it was a 25-30 mile hike. The meaning of water changed after. Sounds ridiculous, but kinda changed my life.

Gorgeous views! Really one of the best hikes we’ve been on. Took us 5 hours and 45 mins to hike from the trailhead to the “Lathrop trail” sign in the canyon and back to wooden fence where we parked our car. We were not looking forward to the hike back up the canyon but made quick progress as the rocks are mostly flat and basically stairs. Not much of a scramble which is ideal for us. Not crowded at all. Would love to backpack down to the river next time.

This is a fantastic trail with ample opportunity for making it as easy or as hard as you’d like. Bonus: Anyone that’s a fan of geology and stratigraphy will have a lot to look at in addition to the scenery here.

Beautiful hike. Can be as much of an adventure as you want.. easy easy hike to the switchbacks or quite a bit more strenuous down to the Colorado River. Amazing views the whole time nonetheless.

Last day of winter, weather was about 50 degrees, a little windy. Open flat grassy area at first and then you wrap around the cliff and it starts switchbacking down the canyon at about three miles. Amazing views of Lathrop Canyon, the La Sals, and the Colorado River. I stopped at the switchbacks due to lack of time.

There is always a view to feast your eyes on when you’re on this trail! You can continue past the white rim into lathrop canyon and follow the wash to the Colorado river for an extra challenge (21.6 miles out and back from ISKY to the river). I do not recommend doing it all in one day because the switchbacks on the way back up were challenging after a full day of hiking. The trail is extremely exposed, I recommend going either early in the morning or in the evening when the opposite rock wall casts shade on the switchbacks. It was my favorite hike in ISKY so far!

Want jaw-dropping views and a heart-thumping climb up (and down) steep canyon walls? Then this hike is for you! We did this hike in early March with 30-40 degree weather, which was nice given the extreme exposure on this trail. Such varied terrain and Spectacular scenery. We took a ton of photos. If you want to save your knees, bring hiking poles. Old uranium mines (most exploratory) line the canyon walls in the Chinle layer. More scenic than Murphy Hogback, imho. Overall one of my favorite hikes!

Amazing hike. Did this as an overnight backpacking trip, continuing down the 4wd road to the Colorado river. Saw one couple on the way down, and no one (until I got back to the rim of the canyon) on the way back the following morning. Really awe inspiring to experience that wide open canyon space in perfect solitude. I carried 5 liters of water and it was just barely enough. (it's tough to get a good angle for filtering water, as the terrain kind of drops off into the water, so don't count on being able to get a drink at the bottom)

Even in the middle of February, this hike is a 100% YES! Minimal snow/ice, really just mud in a few places. Otherwise, this hike offers views and an experience you can’t always get. The hike starts with about a 25 min walk through a flatland, reaching a more boulder-filled area before descending into the Canyon. It’s 1,600 feet of downhill, including stairs, scrambles and foot paths (some of which are muddy). Truly every turn you take is breath taking. If you have a fear of heights, this hike is not for you. We hustled back up the canyon to avoid an imposing rain cloud, so that took only about an hour but I’d assume at a more leisurely pace it would be 1.5-2 hours. in total it took 4.5 hours, from 10 AM-2:30 PM, but I’d allot for 6 if you’re planning to stop for lunch at the bottom (highly recommended) Even at 38 degrees, it’s totally exposed so the sun felt great in the winter. Would recommend to anyone!!!!

This was my favorite trail in “island in the sky” section of canyonlands NP. It was a long beautiful stroll through flat grasslands, and then it opens into an otherworldly area of strange rock formations with wavey smooth sandstone and huge jutting rocks. Beautiful views... a few sections that seemed like petrified footprints.