Lathrop Canyon Trail

Lathrop Canyon Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

off road driving

Directions from Island in the Sky Visitor Center: Travel southward along Utah 313 2 miles to the Lathrop Trailhead on the eastern side of the road.

Great hike!

Best!

I only had 1.5 hours before sunset, so I turned this into a trail run and hike combo. I made it to the rim and then turned back. Was glad I did this trail, even though it was only a portion.

Fantastic hike. There are some spectacular views. The trail is very well marked, and as someone else already mentioned, there are times when you think it is going to take you off a clifff, but there isn't any place where it is really dangerous or scary. It looked to me like the scenery was not going to be as good as I got closer to the canyon bottom, and I wasn't sure I wanted to trek back up the really steep part, so I turned around at 3.5 miles.

Amazing hike! First 2k flat as a pancake but than a wonderful stroll over the plateau with a beautiful view over the valley. After 5k the decent into the valley starts where your door 300-400m in one kilometer. Steep rock trail which is quite technical but well maintained. Best part is that we were the only ones out these so you're really one with nature.

So beautiful.

Great variety on this trail. The first mile is through grassland to a ridge. I recommend you stop and listen about 10 or 15 minutes into the hike. Hopefully the birds are out and it's just you and them and maybe the sound of the wind. Very peaceful. At the top of the ridge you get views of the LaSal mountains beyond the petrified dunes in Arches. There's still about another half mile of grassland to hike through. The next half mile beyond the grassland is slickrock and switch backs as you start to descend to the canyon rim. There is also some sandy stretches that remind me of walking amongst sand dunes along the coast. The rock formations along this stretch of trail remind me of soft swirl ice cream cones LOL. You finally pass over a sage brush plateau before descending to your first awesome view at about the 2 mile mark. We noticed most people turn back at this point but we pushed on. After this point the trail descends to the next ledge and you hike around to a 2nd awesome viewpoint. This one was at about 2.6 miles. Views here are similar to the first spot at 2 miles, just closer and better IMHO. We pressed on down to next level and at 3.1 miles noticed the trail plunged through 20 topo lines so we called it quits there. We had lunch back at the 2nd viewpoint and it was just us, the lizards, the view, and a warm sun. No sign of another human at all. The full trail has a 3100 ft elevation change. We had 1000 ft. You make it as hard or as easy as you want.

Beautiful views all over and well marked. Loved it

This trail was so hard! I'm pretty sure I didn't even make it the whole way. I did this hike in late July, so heat was a pretty serious factor. The first part of the hike is through a meadow. Eventually you reach the edges of the canyon. You hike along the lip for a bit. The trail pretty suddenly drops over a rock scree and you really can't tell where it is more than 10ft ahead. You must rely on the cairns to guide you for a lot of it. Poles were a lifesaver (almost literally) on the way into and back out of the canyon.

I got to the bottom of the canyon after an hour or two and it seemed that it continued further into a dry riverbed. I didn't feel the need to go down in elevation any longer, mainly because of the heat. So I turned around and went back up again. I think coming back out may have actually gone a bit faster than going down. All in all, it was really hard and the views were breathtaking.

Friday, February 19, 2016

Great

off road driving
Wednesday, February 29, 2012

In order to get to the trail head of Lathrop Canyon, we followed Potash road about 22 miles from Moab, to the junction of Shafer abd White Rim Trails. We took the White Rim Trail for abour 11 miles to the trail head. Now it was another 4.0 miles down Lathrop Canyon Trail to the Colorado River. This portion of the trip was fairly difficult, the trail was eroded, filled with huge ruts that were tough to negotiate. After we had lunch we returned back to the junction and took the Shafer Trail up to the top of Dead Horse Point, and following Long Canyon Trail, made our way back to Moab. What a exciting day of Jeeping!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016