Lake Solitude Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

skiing

Directions from Salt Lake City: Follow Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) to Brighton about 14.2 miles up the canyon to the Silver Lake Visitor's Center. Park at the Silver Lake Information Center or across the street at the Brighton Store.

Did the hike just after sunrise on 11/3. We were the first ones out and back after a snowfall from the previous night, so we ended up losing track of the trail a lot. (Easy hike in the fresh snow powder, just hard to follow the true trail with so many side trails) The lake was completely frozen over but not yet completely snow covered. Looking forward to coming back in the summer.

Great hike. This trail has a bit of everything. Snow, mud, rocks, wildlife...and other hikers.

Sometimes the beaten path is slightly different than the actual red-marked trail in this app. I veered off slightly and wound up backtracking twice. Pay attention to the app so you don’t veer too far.

I added the Silver Lake trail to my hike and finished at 5 miles flat. Had I not veered off I think I would have finished this hike at 4 miles.

Beautiful hike! Quite snowy, but worth it! Hiked in the snow around the lake and then back down. definitely will go again!

Hiked to the Lake early in the morning as usual but this time before the sun came up. Needed a headlamp for the first couple of miles. Even got to see three pair of eyes looking at me in the dark and was kind of eerie not knowing what was looking back at you. By the time that I arrived at the lake it was light enough to see everything. I continued up the trail to Twin Lake and think that I saw the same three deer that were blinking at me earlier.

Really nice hike...saw a bunch of deer around sunset when we went...saw a few people on the way there and back but didn’t feel crowded at all.

went early morning hardly no one around and saw lots of wild life. It got very busy around 9am.

Great hike, easy to moderate. With the weather being so dry for so long, not much of a lake. Did run into a deer and moose along the way, it was a lot of fun. Next time we will hike on to Twin Lakes.

Not busy. Pretty rocky in spots. Stay to the right on the board walk to find trail head. Lots of shade. Enjoyable, relatively easy hike

Our first hike as a young family in the Wasatch Range, and we loved it! Perfect for folks looking for an easier hike. My wife and I were able to take our 5-month old on the entire trek using a Bjorn baby carrier without any trouble. She loved the mountain air!

Nice hike. The lake is not as beautiful as the Brighton lakes but it's not as crowded either. The flowers have mostly all faded; the trees and greenery are pretty. We saw two Stellar Jays and lots of Chipmucks. The smoke from the fires reaches into the canyon but it's not as thick as in the valley.

Took our 2 year old on this hike and he made it about a quarter to a third of the way on his own before he got tired. Although that may have been because it was getting late. It was about 7 pm when we started the hike. Either way it was a great hike. Very fun and quick even with a two year old.

So beautiful along the whole trail. Amazing flowers and plenty of shade. Easy for small kids.

Great trail! Slightly rocky in some areas. Great for all ages.

Beautiful trail with very little traffic, even on a Saturday!

Perfect hike for kids. I do this one in the evening on week nights and I’m usually one of the only ones up there. All trails isn’t very accurate on the map, just make sure to follow the markers. Bring bug spray

great, easy hike. We accidentally went during the wildflower festival or whatever it's called, so the trail was very busy.... the flowers were beautiful, and the lake was pretty (and small). we saw some deer, pika, and lots of birds including a red-necked sapsuckers, stellar jays, and Lincoln sparrow. We started at Silver lake, and that was a beautiful spot too. :) great trail for kids!!

Beautiful flowers and a decent amount of shade. The lake was meh.

Does anyone know if you can camp up here?

Great easy hike. Saw a moose on the way up and while sitting on a rock by the lake saw some tiger salamanders and caddisfly larvae stuck to the rocks underwater. Lots of wildflowers right now.

Great easy trail with our kids (7 &4). Lots of bugs up there right now, but the wild flowers are out and are glorious. We saw a moose on our way down in the evening.

Great little hike, gorgeous views, and good for kids (we have 2 three year olds). We went on a Sunday afternoon and it wasn’t crowded at all. Would definitely go again.

Easy and beautiful trail. Kids down to five had no trouble but got pretty tired.

Great hike, especially for me as a 74 year old. No moose but a deer on the hill by the lake. Only one small patch of snow. Trail not well marked in places, but people returning in the trail kept us on course. Lots of young children on the trail so that gave me confidence.

Saw a moose around the lake, plenty of chipmunks, prairie dogs. Nice trail easy and well marked .

Love this hike. Quick and fairly easy. Lake at the end is pretty and usually run into either moose or deer in the evening.

Beautiful hike shaded by Aspen trees. I hiked in the evening and the weather was perfect.

This is an OK hike. we made the loop going up to Lake Solitude and continuing to Twin Lakes and back down to Silver Lake.
There's no more snow on the trail. The views from Twin Lake up the cirque is beautiful. Busy trail, even during the week.

Was easier than expected. Not steep at all. There wasn’t much snow at all up there we did just fine in regular hiking shoes. We love hiking and wasn’t really satisfied with how short it was so we followed the summit road up further and got a beautiful view of the lake. Got a little nervous with the cave up there and saw a pile of animal fur so we didn’t go any further.

But this is an easy one for children! Very beautiful.

Still lots of snow on the trail, making it hard to follow. The lake is still pretty frozen. I imagine this hike will be a lot more fun and much prettier in a couple more weeks.

Monday, October 30, 2017

We did this hike yesterday, fairly easy, saw a lot of families. Some good views and elevation climb is not difficult. This was a good hike for someone like me who is new to the area and getting acclimated to the elevation. Caution: you should bring GPS since trail not well marked and it's easy to get off which we did one time (several others we passed would ask us if still on trail). Also, while probably obvious, this late in fall we did encounter areas of ice/snow so while easy hike, bring appropriate footwear.