Lake Mary Trail

Lake Mary Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until October.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Take Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) to Brighton. Trailhead is located behind the Mt. Majestic Lodge.

Not the hike we expected. "Best used" through October is more than a suggestion. Once Brighton resort is open for the season, hikers need to take the "uphill route" on Milly Access / Lost Maid and then exit the Wren Hollow gate to out of bounds. We looped around Dog Lake and made it up to the overlook of Lake Mary. Didn't have any backcountry gear/beacons and definitely would have wanted them if we were to go any farther towards Lake Catherine.

I got plastered by artificial snow makers trying to find the trailhead by the Brighton Ski resort, but once found it was a great hike! It was fairly quick, even with the snowfall on the ground. I loved skipping rocks on the frozen lake and hearing those cool Star Wars noises.

Did this trail yesterday, it hard to follow the trail with the recent snowfall and quite slippery due to icy areas, but worth the challenge and inspiration for capturing both visually and mentally the solitude of this area. Simply beautiful.

Great hike, really beautiful. 3-6 inches of snow and lightly snowing all day. Well worth the uphill climb.

Nice hike and surprised to find it completely snow covered in late October. The snow made it even more fun, and the trail was still easy to follow.

Hiked this on Thursday. Great quick hike after work around sunset.

Moderate climb to get to Lake Mary, but well worth it. We did this about 3 weeks ago when the colors were turning and it was absolutely breathtaking. If you have the time, hike around to the backside of the lake which is less crowded - you can keep going on <0.5 miles more and you will hit the second lake. Beautiful hike, though tends to be popular and a little overcrowded at peak times.

Super easy, but well worth it. Just a fun hike.

Breathtaking! Fortunate to hike this right after the first snowfall of the season. Pretty fabulous for low landers from the Tampa Bay Area!

Great hike. Beautiful relaxing spot when you get to Lake Mary.

Beautiful stop on the way to lake Catherine.

Pretty steep until you get to the first lake, but it’s worth it!

The getting to is HARD! It was really steep for a lot of the time up but the destination made it worth it. Lake Mary is very beautiful.

My favorite hike. I’ve hiked much harder trails and much easier trails but for some reason I keep coming back to this one when I think about my favorite one. My kids and I hike it at least twice a Summer. It is an extremely beautiful lake. Amazing wildflowers and lots of chipmunks and squirrels. We saw a marmot up there once as well. We eat lunch by the lake and let the kids good off and are always back before lunch.

Epic

incredible views.

love the fact that you can be in such a crowded place and find such solitude within just a few minutes of hiking. fish were small (5 inches or so) but this hike and lake Catherine just above it were phenomenal. I'd love to go back again when there aren't so many people on the trail tho. I had to stop quite a few times to let big groups pass by and it was just myself. great hike tho and some very beautiful scenery.

Decided to do this hike with my two boys (8 and 10) after camping at the Spruces the night before. The boys complained about the incline going up from Brighton, but overall it really wasn't bad and was a great hike that I knew my boys could survive.

great hike a little difficult for a beginner like me had to stop quite a bit to catch my breath and i also forgot the bug spray if you hike this Trail you're definitely going to need bug spray for all the mosquitoes... But once we reach the lake it was all worth it so beautiful up there

Gorgeous water, beautiful wildflowers!

Saw 5 different moose, a porcupine, and lots of deer! We started at the trail head at 530 AM ! Got to the top around 630 AM and watched the sunrise ! This is my favorite hike ever! So beautiful! Accurately labeled moderate!

We hit the trail around 8:45am and saw a smattering of people now and then. This has lovely views on the climb, with lots of wild flowers and the lake is peaceful when loud talking people are not there. Why do people talk so loud? On the way down we stopped at Dog Lake which is small and more peaceful. We spotted a moose couple near the end of the hike which made our day; we couldn't miss them they crossed the trail.

Gorgeous. Loved every minute! It was a great day for hiking too!

Steep for beginners like me, but gorgeous. Lovely lake! Please be courteous and remember that swimming is not permitted.

It’s really pretty worth the hike ...the only problem today was all that SMOKE !

I wish we had gotten to the trail earlier in the morning! It was about 10am when we started, and the sun really beats down on the first section, making 67 degrees feel like 85. Plus, there were quite a few people on the trail. But the trail is beautiful and Lake Mary is gorgeous. And since it’s so big and many hikers continue to Lake Martha and Lake Catherine, it felt like we had the place to ourselves. I know people love Cecret Lake at the top of Lil’ Cottonwood Canyon (I do in too when the wildflowers are in full bloom), but this lake it WAY prettier. Can’t wait to go back and do Martha and Catherine too next time! My kids (15,12,10,8) enjoyed this one too, though they didn’t like all the people on the trail. I can’t figure out where they got their disdain for crowds...oh, wait...

We saw a moose! We also saw deer, pika, and chipmunks. When you get to the lake head left and go over the boulder and then head away from lake. There is another hidden lake and that’s where the moose are.

Went after lunch, not too crowded, lovely waterfalls and rock formations along the way with the reward of beautiful Lake Mary. Highly recommend.

Most beautiful trail. Definitely a favorite.