Lake Desolation Mill D North Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(643)
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Lake Desolation Mill D North Trail is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,988 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please Note: No dogs allowed. This lake is part of the protected Big Cottonwood Canyon watershed, so swimming in any lake or river is prohibited.

Longer than All Trails states, but very nice with just a little bit of snow at the top

Some annoying snow toward the top, but worth it.

Still some snow, mostly near the lake. Beautiful hike!

5/25/20. Beautiful hike, we did Dog Lake first then Mill D North to Lake Desolation. Lots of snow (cold day, mid to low 40s, even snowed a little) but it will probably melt soon (a lot had already melted by the time we walked back). Spikes and hiking boots would’ve been helpful but I did the hike in cross trainers and I managed with a few slips. Not too many people on the way there, a few more on the way back but wouldn’t consider it busy. Beautiful views of the Wasatch and aspen trees!

icy

I've hiked this trail several times but never with snow pac. I would highly recommend spikes or something with traction & poles if you have them. I hiked this on Mother's Day and hardly saw anyone past the 1st turnoff to Desolation. I did it without spikes & it was very difficult with the snow melting. Lake was still frozen, beautiful peaceful hike.

I hiked today twice. I lost my iPhone (red) up by the sign that indicates to the right desolation and to the left dog lake. I stopped to take a selfie and decided to put on my trax before heading down through the snowy section. I sat on a log just right of the sign toward the desolation turn off. I finished the hike and drove home realizing that my phone was not with me. I jumped in the car and hiked again my exact route and my phone is not to be found. I'm hoping that someone came upon it and brought it down the canyon. Please contact me by email robynredbrst@hotmail.com if you found my phone. Thanks. Although I didn't make to desolation nor dog lake I still put in 8 miles - it's snowy up top. A COOL HIKER NAMED MICHAEL FOUND MY PHONE! Hiking community is amazing! Thanks Michael!!!

Hiked this yesterday. The trail is off at a few places, so it’s steeper than normal. We used spikes which was not the best, so we postholed often after the fork to Dog Lake. Snowshoes from there would have been ideal. So beautiful! (It’s a mix of dirt and snow for about the first mile.)

icy

Great trail! Would definitely recommend traction devices and poles at minimum.

icy

Unless you are comfortable with precarious treks across very steep snowy/icy mountain sides with little to no trail, just a few footsteps to follow, I would avoid the last leg past the second dog lake cutoff. If you don't mind, trek poles and spikes were better than snowshoes on the very steep sections. That said it is a beautiful area.

icy

Beautiful hike to Desolation Lake. Used spikes both ways. After the dog lake split I post holed some because not many people have hiked that far and the trail wasn’t packed down. No snow shoes needed.

Great trail. Always beautiful. Not many tracks around the lake and snowshoes would have been good. Some post holing at the top and slushy conditions at the bottom when we came out

Trail goes pretty well uphill of its usual route after the split from dog lake. Looked like it was headed towards the Wasatch Crest Trail. Snowshoes recommended or you'll end up postholing the last mile +. Still absolutely gorgeous though!

Spent my Saturday snowshoeing this trail. The snow was packed and didn't need snow shoes. Spikes would have been sufficient. Beautiful trail! I can't wait to go again.

icy

Winter wonderful!!! Made snow angels at the lake. I can see why everyone loves this trail