Lake Desolation Mill D North Trail

Lake Desolation Mill D North Trail is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

2024 feet

Directions from Salt Lake City: Follow Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) about 9.5 miles up the canyon to the Mill D North Fork Trailhead about 0.2 mile before Spruces Campground. Trailhead sign marks the beginning on the north side of the road.

Beautiful trail! There's still a decent amount of snow in the second half of the trail. The lake is mostly covered with snow.

Beautiful lake.

Amazing view and pretty easy hike!!

Hike to Desolation snow pond yesterday morning. Not much snow on the initial part of the trail from Mill D. However, a lot of snow for 3 miles to Desolation snow pond (lake). Not many boot prints in the snow on this trail and only one set from about 1/2 mile out to the lake. Was a beautiful day to hike and enjoyed the serenity of the trail. Just over 2 hours up to the lake, 80 minutes down.

This was a great hike, and although I did it late in the year, it was actually a great time to go because I had the entire like to myself for a little while. It was incredible how serene and quiet it was...I almost felt like every move I made was disturbing the peace. Will definitely try to do this one again! Originally I combined this with a climb up Reynold's peak, but that ended up being a bit too exhausting for me. Next time I will probably split the two up for a more enjoyable if slightly less exhausting trip.

I went snowshoeing here yesterday. About a mile up I saw moose tracks and sure enough there was either a calf or cow right on the trail!

We got to see some more moose, and love hiking in the snow. There was about 8 to 10 inches of snow at the top.

Nice hike with a pretty lake at the end. It has some steady uphill but not terribly steep. I passed several people on my way up and down and there were a few at the lake when I got there. I did this hike on a weekend at the end of October. All of the fall colors were over but it was still a pretty hike. This hike has a lot of aspens so could really be pretty throughout the early fall when the leaves start to change. The lake level was probably lower being the end of the fall. I'd also give it a try in the early summer and see how it's different.

One of my favorite Utah lake hikes!!!!

It was long but pretty easy. My 60 year old mother hiked with me so for sure doable. The Lake was a very beautiful color but I still prefer lake Blanche if you are up for a slightly more challenging hike.

I did this as a loop with Beartrap Fork that I found quite lovely. It adds a few hundred feet of elevation, but pays off in terms of view heading both directions from the Wasatch Crest. The loop does involve walking along the road for 1.8 miles. The section of Mill D heading toward Dog Lake is pretty crowded, but much less so once you turn toward Desolation.