Lake Catherine Via Catherine Pass Trail

Lake Catherine Via Catherine Pass Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alta, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

[IMPORTANT PARKING NOTE: Due to extremely limited parking access at Cecret Lake/Catherine's Pass Trailheads and to reduce congestion on the Albion Basin Summer Road and in the upper Albion Basin parking areas, it is highly recommended that hikers park in the Albion Base Area parking lot and hike the Upper Albion Meadows Trail or ride the free shuttle provided by the Town of Alta on weekends and holidays]

The trail had 4-6 inches of new snow early this morning and had the trail to ourselves except for birds and deer.

Beautiful moderate hike. Bring lots of water. Start early if you want explore at the peak. Alos, I parked at the trailhead and was lucky-one spot left. It fills up fast.

Backpacked up here last night and spent the night. By the time I arrived it was dark and pretty rocky on the way down to Lake Catherine. The trail was well maintained and really nice and if you keep hiking past Lake Catherine you get amazing views of Lake Mary and Lake Martha.

We got to the trailhead at 4pm so we were lucky to get parking. The trail itself is beautiful and well-maintained as well as uncrowded. There is a pungent plant growing halfway thru. We set up camp on the southwest corner of the lake along with several other groups. The lake is like a bowl so it was an amphitheater when it came to noise but everyone seemed to notice that and were respectful although the young kids had a hard time remembering ;) Only saw 2 mosquitoes. I really wanted to summit Sunrise Peak but my hubby said no so I'll have to come back another time just as a hiker.

One of my favorite hikes this year!

Gorgeous!

This is such a beautiful hike!! Saw lots of deer and a moose. We went pretty early and didn't come across anyone until we were almost done. So go early if you want to avoid people. (we started the hike at 6:30am on a friday)

Great hike! Flowers are still beautiful. Saw lots and lots of deer on this early morning hike and a moose as we drove out!

I wouldn't rate this as "easy"... Wildflowers are still on fire right now!

Wildflowers are in full bloom!

A beautiful hike with pine trees framing all the wild flowers and mountain views.

liked this hike, little difficult going to the lake from the pass, but is doable

One of my favorite hikes.

There's still quite a bit of snow. The road to the trailhead is closed another couple of weeks. We did get very close to Lake Catherine but the snow stopped us sadly. We plan to return in a few weeks where it will be easier to get too. I'd give it a higher rating if we'd have been able to see it. Still ended up with a decent hike.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

I felt like singing sound of music the whole time. And the wildflowers. ❤️ this hike has my heart.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Good trail for beginners. Great views of surrounding area. Went beyond Lake Catherine to Sunset peak. Hiked through the snow and reached around 10,500. Nice trip back to car.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Nice hike

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Beautiful hike!

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Very nice hike, and a bunch of friendly fellow hikers along the way! A little rough to finish for my four year old boy, but he was a trooper, and finally quit about 3/4 of the way down. All in all, a great afternoon.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

This was a great moderate hike for the whole family! While we had to take a few stops along the way, our four year old completed this trail all the way to the lake and back (most of the way). The weather was perfect and we were even treated with the surprise of a massive bull moose.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Absolutely beautiful hike with wildflowers everywhere! Took my 10 yr old niece and we both enjoyed it. Once at the summit we hiked down to Lake Catherine, saw two moose, one female, one male. Took the small trail around the pretty, yet small lake, had fun skipping rocks. Took us about an hour & 1/2 to get there (taking our time) and 40 minutes back.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

would have been a 5, but i like a less trafficked trail. wildflowers were beautiful. hiked with a group of kids (3-6 yo) and they managed to make it down to the lake. super fun day, beautiful little Lake. would have been a 5 with fewer people and maybe the ability to go for a swim... (watershed)

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

My wife and I did the trail with our 8 and 10 year old and my mother in law. We hiked from the lower parking lot at Alta's base up through the lower meadows and joined the trail at the upper parking lot. The ~3 mile hike up took us just over an hour and a half with lots of stops.

The trail was fairly busy compared to previous times we have hiked this trail due to a holiday weekend.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Took the Albion Meadows Trail to the trailhead, it probably added a couple of miles. The map is a little off - the map shows a trail that has been closed for restoration. During the first half mile, there is a left turn that the map does not show. There are signs at Alta, at least small ones, follow those.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Easy trail up the Alta side! Wildflower season is upon us!

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Not difficult but some steep parts. Wildflowers were amazing as were the views!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Nice hike- good for kids.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

nice hike. went to sunset peak.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Trail completely dry with no snow. Flowers just starting to bloom lower down the trail near Albion Basin. Not many flowers higher up the trail. Road still closed to the trail head and will open on July 1.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Most of the trail was still covered with snow. The view was worth the hike.