Lake Catherine Via Catherine Pass Trail

Lake Catherine Via Catherine Pass Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alta, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fishing, and mountain biking and is best used from June until September.

Users have reported that as of June 2018 the Albin Basin road to the trailhead (from Alta) is closed temporarily for construction. The road will reopen in July. After the reopening, there will be a parking lot at the trailhead which will charge for parking. In the meantime, visitors can either park in Alta and walk 2.2 miles to the trailhead, or hike to Lake Catherine from Brighton.

Beautiful wild flowers! And saw a badger right off the trail.

There are a lot of badgers

$6 to park or $10 per person to ride the lift to the trailhead. I was not thrilled with the fees, but the ride up the lift was beautiful. The hike itself was easy and the wildflowers are in full bloom. It’s a blanket of colors right now! This is the perfect time to go as it’s so much cooler at the top than in the valley, and the views are magical.

Hiked this last night. Didn't love that they're charging $6 to get up to the end of the road, but the hike was great. First time for me on this trail. Not too steep, didn't take us too long to get up to the pass (somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes I think). The mosquitos were fairly annoying. Might be better in the morning or day time.

I would rate this trail as moderate. I hiked it 10 or 12 times last year and love it! The steps are rarely very treacherous, but I'd give a moderate rating because of (great) heart pumping if you're not stopping a lot, especially for my less-frequently hiking friends. The views are terrific, and this is my preferred, quieter alternative trail for wildflower season when the Albion Basin gets crazy busy. After the trail opens into a large meadow-like area, keep going for the final steep push. It's worth it! The only reason I rate 4 stars is because of construction noises happening Alta this year and last.

Absolutely Beautiful!

Perfect way to spend the holiday. The road is open, the flowers are blooming, he chipmunks are... chipping? Munking? Anyway, wonderful hike!

I went up to do this hike last week and the road to Albion basin was closed. I wish someone would have mentioned that from the Alta side this hike until around July first is 4.4 miles longer for you have to hike the road 2.2 miles to the trailhead. I ended up a few days later heading up from Brighton side and this hike is stunning. Here is a 360 degree visual of the hike from the BRIGHTON side. https://shaunasadventures.blogspot.com/2018/06/360-adventure-hike-to-lake-mary-martha.html?m=1

The upper road to the trailhead will be closed until July 1 (at which time they will start charging for parking up there), so we started at Alta and took the Albion Meadows trail up to the trailhead. Wildflowers are just starting to bloom and the upper meadow just before the final rise to the crest is covered in yellow flowers. Elevation gains from the bottom were brutal, but worth it. From Alta it was 6 miles round trip.

Nice trail but summer road is closed due to construction so had to start from Alta base

We went hiking on this trail on Sunday (June 10), and most of the trail was clear except for a few snow patches. Still, it was walkable. Wildflowers are barely starting to grow. A nice and easy trail besides navigating a few tricky snow/muddy spots.

Has anyone been up here recently? Is there still a lot of snow?

Beautiful and short hike

The trail had 4-6 inches of new snow early this morning and had the trail to ourselves except for birds and deer.

Beautiful moderate hike. Bring lots of water. Start early if you want explore at the peak. Alos, I parked at the trailhead and was lucky-one spot left. It fills up fast.

Backpacked up here last night and spent the night. By the time I arrived it was dark and pretty rocky on the way down to Lake Catherine. The trail was well maintained and really nice and if you keep hiking past Lake Catherine you get amazing views of Lake Mary and Lake Martha.

We got to the trailhead at 4pm so we were lucky to get parking. The trail itself is beautiful and well-maintained as well as uncrowded. There is a pungent plant growing halfway thru. We set up camp on the southwest corner of the lake along with several other groups. The lake is like a bowl so it was an amphitheater when it came to noise but everyone seemed to notice that and were respectful although the young kids had a hard time remembering ;) Only saw 2 mosquitoes. I really wanted to summit Sunrise Peak but my hubby said no so I'll have to come back another time just as a hiker.

One of my favorite hikes this year!

Gorgeous!

This is such a beautiful hike!! Saw lots of deer and a moose. We went pretty early and didn't come across anyone until we were almost done. So go early if you want to avoid people. (we started the hike at 6:30am on a friday)

Friday, August 18, 2017

Great hike! Flowers are still beautiful. Saw lots and lots of deer on this early morning hike and a moose as we drove out!

Sunday, August 13, 2017

I wouldn't rate this as "easy"... Wildflowers are still on fire right now!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Wildflowers are in full bloom!

Friday, July 28, 2017

A beautiful hike with pine trees framing all the wild flowers and mountain views.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

liked this hike, little difficult going to the lake from the pass, but is doable

Thursday, June 29, 2017

One of my favorite hikes.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

There's still quite a bit of snow. The road to the trailhead is closed another couple of weeks. We did get very close to Lake Catherine but the snow stopped us sadly. We plan to return in a few weeks where it will be easier to get too. I'd give it a higher rating if we'd have been able to see it. Still ended up with a decent hike.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

I felt like singing sound of music the whole time. And the wildflowers. ❤️ this hike has my heart.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Good trail for beginners. Great views of surrounding area. Went beyond Lake Catherine to Sunset peak. Hiked through the snow and reached around 10,500. Nice trip back to car.

Saturday, September 03, 2016