Lake Catherine Via Catherine Pass Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(224)
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Lake Catherine Via Catherine Pass Trail is a 6.3 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fishing, and mountain biking and is best used from June until September.

Distance: 6.3 km Elevation Gain: 340 m Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Because this trail lies within a protected watershed, dogs and swimming are not permitted in the area. In the meantime, visitors can either park in Alta and walk 2.2 miles to the trailhead, or hike to Lake Catherine from Brighton.

This is one of my favorite hikes around Alta. It is technical but the air is thin for those flatlanders that try to make it happen. If you go around the evening you will most likely see a moose or two. Great views into Big Cottonwood from the ridge line. There are a ton of trails around Catherine's lake if you want to explore.

Beautiful hike. We only saw 3 other people on the trail and appreciated the solitude and peace. October is lovely in Utah.

Beautiful views. Was perfect for my 3 and 5 years old kids.

this is a beautiful trail. temperatures were in the high 50's to low 60's. nice breeze and amazing wildflowers. it's a fairly easy hike, but most is up hill. once you have reached the lake, it's a wonderful to sit and relax. bring a lunch and watch the wildlife. Enjoyed watching a hawk fly over the lake. Not too many other hikers at 10 am.

Awesome trail. Remember that you have to pay a fee for parking (i forgot)

Stopped at the peak, made it in under an hour. I’ve hiked to the lake from the other side and backpacked in there. We started about 7:30pm trying to beat the sun and we were at the top at the golden hour, for the sunset. Many mosquitos pretty much the entire way. No large wild life spotting. Gorgeous views from the top!!!

Awesome trail but a little optimistic to call this EASY.

This is a beautiful hike. It took us several hours. The first mile up was a little grindy for us flat landers. After that it was really fun with amazing views. Enjoy!

For someone who doesn’t hike very much, this one was pretty easy. Took us about 3 hours roundtrip and the lake was beautiful! We went really early (7 AM) to avoid the crowds and left just as soon as it started to get too crowded. Be warned that there are a ton of mosquitos. Luckily there was still some snow and being that early, it was cool enough for us to wear jackets to avoid getting bitten.

I would only write 4 stars because I think it’s more fun to do from the Brighton side because you can hit multiple lakes and you don’t have to go down and back up. Still an amazing hike! Would reccomend.

closed

The trail head does not Open until July 16th

Grab tracking poles and proper shoes: a lot of snow. Also it's tricky to find the trail under the snow so make sure you have an offline map downloaded on your phone. The lake is frozen right now btw

Thu Mar 21 2019

breathtaking views!

Sun Oct 07 2018

Very challenging hike. But worth the views!

Fri Sep 28 2018

Absolutely beautiful hike. a little strenuous but worth the reward! I'll do this hike again for sure! #beaUTAHful

Tue Sep 18 2018

Great hike, moderate hike with spectacular views the entire way. Really beautiful view of the lake. Next time we will bring 2 cars and hike on Thru to Brighton.

Mon Sep 17 2018

Great hike, small amount of challenge and long enough that you feel accomplished at the end, but short enough that you can fit it into your day very easily. Views are gorgeous, and it's high up enough that you feel removed from it all.

Sun Sep 16 2018

Hiked to all the sister lakes. Great hike and very beautiful.

Sun Sep 02 2018

Great hike! I did this one a few weeks ago and it was super easy and had beautiful views. We got there shortly after sunrise. Will definitely do this again and even take my kids with me next time.

Tue Jul 31 2018

Beautiful wild flowers! And saw a badger right off the trail.

Tue Jul 31 2018

There are a lot of badgers

Sat Jul 14 2018

$6 to park or $10 per person to ride the lift to the trailhead. I was not thrilled with the fees, but the ride up the lift was beautiful. The hike itself was easy and the wildflowers are in full bloom. It’s a blanket of colors right now! This is the perfect time to go as it’s so much cooler at the top than in the valley, and the views are magical.

Fri Jul 06 2018

Hiked this last night. Didn't love that they're charging $6 to get up to the end of the road, but the hike was great. First time for me on this trail. Not too steep, didn't take us too long to get up to the pass (somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes I think). The mosquitos were fairly annoying. Might be better in the morning or day time.

Fri Jul 06 2018

I would rate this trail as moderate. I hiked it 10 or 12 times last year and love it! The steps are rarely very treacherous, but I'd give a moderate rating because of (great) heart pumping if you're not stopping a lot, especially for my less-frequently hiking friends. The views are terrific, and this is my preferred, quieter alternative trail for wildflower season when the Albion Basin gets crazy busy. After the trail opens into a large meadow-like area, keep going for the final steep push. It's worth it! The only reason I rate 4 stars is because of construction noises happening Alta this year and last.

Thu Jul 05 2018

Absolutely Beautiful!

Wed Jul 04 2018

Perfect way to spend the holiday. The road is open, the flowers are blooming, he chipmunks are... chipping? Munking? Anyway, wonderful hike!