Learn more

Lake Catherine Via Brighton Lakes Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(838)
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Lake Catherine Via Brighton Lakes Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, fishing, and fly fishing and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,243 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Because this trail lies within a protected watershed, dogs and swimming are not permitted in the area.

July 7 - a decent amount of people on the trail but everyone was courteous. Amazing fire from Lake Mary and Lake Catherine. Bugs weren’t bad for most of the hike. Just a few swarms in the thickets next to the lake.

Wild flowers are out right now. I highly suggest adding the extra mile to hike to sunset peak at the top.

great!

Disclaimer - There are signs posted about an aggressive bear in the area. I didn't see a bear, but I did see a TON of wildlife - Two Moose, squirrels, chipmunks, prairie dogs, Yellow Bellied Marmot, tons of birds, and a dead porcupine (which sucks, but it's VERY cool to know there are porcupines up there!) I brought bug spray since others had mentioned a lot of bugs. There were a decent amount by the water, but it wasn't anything horrible. Time of day might have also had something to do with it. I arrived at the trailhead at 6:45, it was 56 degrees, if you go early, bring a light jacket. I was the 4th car there. On my way up I was close to one other hiker (who stopped at Lake Mary). There were some campers at lake Catherine, but I saw no other people until my way down. I passed dozens of people on my way down. The trail certainly does get crowded, even on a Tuesday morning. I got back just before 9am, and there were ~40 cars in the parking lot. It was 59 degrees at 9am, I kept my jacket on the whole time. I don't consider myself a fast ascent hiker by any means: It took me 45 minutes to get to Lake Mary (including a pit stop at dog lake - I assume this is named for Prairie Dogs, because there were a bunch there). One note about Lake Mary, since I didn't know and nobody posts the pictures of this part - It's man made. There's a huge retention wall that you hike towards on the north east side of the lake. While the lake itself it gorgeous, I preferred the view of Catherine, which doesn't have a giant retention wall. From Lake Mary it's a 5 minute flat walk to Lake Martha. It's another 25 Minutes to Lake Catherine, which I would highly recommend. It's a bit steep, especially on a switchback right after Lake Martha, but it mostly levels off as you get closer to the lake. I do tend to run down trails when they aren't too rocky, and I made it the 2.2 Miles down from Lake Catherine in 31 minutes. Total Hiking time for me was 1h51m, not including pictures/Sitting at Lakes.

Great trail! Got there around 9am and wasn’t too busy but started to get more crowded when we got back.

Beautiful as always, but EXTRA busy!

BRING BUG SPRAY. This hike is beautiful, but the bugs are horrendous in the morning. Lake Mary was stunning, put lake Catherine to shame.

great!

Absolutely beautiful. The trail is crowed up to Lake Mary, but then it things out considerably. Definitely work it to keep going to Lake Catherine (passing tiny Lake Martha on the way). we kept going up to Summit Peak too. it's not much past the end of this, and gave a great view of the top two lakes.

The first half mile from Brighton center is the worst part. After Lake Mary the crowd thins out. Beautiful place to camp. Even heard the howl from an animal.

Beautiful hike. A few slippery places with water runoff.

Hiked up to Lake Catherine. Circled the lake and hiked back down while finding a few geocaches. Once you get past Lake Mary the crowds thin out considerably.

Fantastic views and a strenuous climb from Lake Catherine to the summit. Anybody can do this hike, but it’s not a cakewalk! Also, up until Lake Mary the trails will be jam packed.

No snow, super crowded, the end.

Great hike - most people stop at Lake Mary.

Hiked on 6/29 in the unexpected snow!There weren’t many people when I started in the morning (maybe due to the weather). Beautiful trail, challenging enough to be a good workout but nothing too intense. Hiked up above Lake Catherine and the views were awesome.

Beautiful trail and lakes! We encountered a tiny bit of snow after Lake Martha

Gorgeous hike! Just challenging enough, and all three of the lakes made it super rewarding. There was a little snow up there and some minor scrambling.

Stunning views. The reward: effort ratio is quite high on this fairly chill hike! It begins with a trail up part of the ski mountain at Brighton and then veers into a more traditional hiking trail with lots of beautiful trees and mountain views. Lake Mary is beautiful and the trail gets slightly more rugged/fun/woodsy past there as it winds past Lake Martha and up to Lake Catherine. Overall, it was pretty easy to follow although not super well-marked throughout but signs at key junctions. We saw few others on a Monday around 4:30pm. Would definitely return to this hike and this area to explore more as the trail branches off to lots of areas like Dog Lake and Twin Lakes and Sunset Peak. There was a bit of snow but nothing impeding hiking, even for those in regular sneakers. We couldn't stop marveling at the views!