Lake Catherine Via Brighton Lakes Trail

Lake Catherine Via Brighton Lakes Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, fishing, and fly fishing and is best used from May until October.

Via Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd) to Brighton. From the Brighton area parking lot, look for the cedar chip road that goes behind Molly Green's Restaurant and the Majestic Lift. The Trailhead is located behind the Mt. Majestic Lodge on the left side of the road. Activities

45 minutes ago

It is a moderate or Maybe because it was my first hike this season. The lakes are beautiful. I am thankful to witness this beauty of nature . It is so quiet and relaxing up there. I have enjoyed it .

Easy out and back with nice views of the lake.

Great trail. Started at 6:00am, saw 3 moose, 3 deer, and the trail loop around the east of Catherine had fresh mountain lion tracks. Bugs were out but with bug spray no issue. (July 15)

As two younger males, it took us 1.5 hrs to do the whole trail. We continued on past Lake Catherine to the Sunset Peak trail, which was steeper. To the top of Sunset Peak took another hour with stops and it was worth the extra climb.

Did this hike on Saturday July 14th. Started at 7:30 am which was perfect since by the time we were coming back down it was getting really crowded. Somehow we ended up going 6.9 miles, not 4.4, but we did take a random trail at the end towards lake Catherine that took us the back way around. Still doesn't seem to add up though. I'm pretty out of shape and we also stopped to take lots of pics of the beautiful wildflowers, so it took us about 2.5 hours to get up (also had a 15-20 minute break at Lake Mary) and an hour to get back down. Dog Lake was first which was more of a swamp, Lake Mary was next and absolutely beautiful. Lake Martha also felt more swamp esque but provided some good scenery as you continue towards Lake Catherine. The flowers were unreal, but so we're the mosquitoes, so definitely pack some bug spray! All in all I would definitely recommend since despite the steep incline right off the bat, the lakes are such a high payoff. We also saw 2 moose on the way back down!

Hiked this trail last night and it was very nice. Getting to the lakes was always a huge payoff. The mosquitoes were awful though, don’t even consider hiking without bug spray.

Loved this hike! Starts at the bottom of Brighton resort and leads you to see lake Mary, Martha, and Catherine. Took 1 hour up and 45 minutes down. So many wildflowers this time of year and it’s absolutely breathtaking the whole way up!

Really nice. Lots of people. Gorgeous weather and scenery. Would highly recommend.

The mountain wildflowers are starting to go off and I have never seen Lake Mary this full of water! We hiked this on Saturday, June 30 and somehow I missed the memo that there was a trail running race going on at Brighton, but the racers weren’t on the Brighton Lakes trail. Ignoring the amount of people present for the event, the trail was still fairly crowded with families & kids until we reached Lake Mary. There weren’t as many people on the remaining trail to Lake Catherine. This is still one of my go-to hikes, but I may not do it on the middle of a Saturday if it’s solitude that your looking for

I would call this a moderate hike. Today, June 23rd, almost all of the snow has melted off the trail. The south side of the loop around Catherine was a little difficult with fisherman blocking the narrow and slanted trail.

What an amazing hike! Super beautiful. Flowers and starting to bloom, and there is some fun snow to make it interesting but not difficult. We turned after the dam to the left trail and walked along the Northside of Lake Mary on the way back and then also caught twin lakes making 5 lakes in all if you count Dog lake. Great route, and the cliffs on that route back were so pretty. Here is a 360 degree visual of my hike if you want to check it out. https://shaunasadventures.blogspot.com/2018/06/360-adventure-hike-to-lake-mary-martha.html?m=1

Gorgeous lakes, impossible to not love this trail.

For a first time backpacker this was the perfect trip! The views were spectacular and the hike was easy enough for someone inexperienced. We got there fairly late on Friday evening around 8 pm and we made it to lake Catherine before 9 pm. It was really windy during the night. There are plenty of great places to set up camp around the lake. If you’re looking for a fun quick overnight trip, this place is great!

I love this hike. It was beautiful up there today. There were a few spots with some snow but it was nothing unmanageable. I had micro spikes so I threw them on but it was totally doable without them.

Still snowy in parts but doable and beautiful!

We hiked to Lake Mary and Lake Martha on 5/31/2018 and really wanted to also see Lake Catherine. There is still lots of snow on the trail. We had spikes which helped a lot but still we did not make it all the way to Lake Catherine. Nevertheless this is a great hike. The lakes are very picturesque settled in their granite bowls. We will be back after the snow melt.

Great hike, awesome views and landscapes, great exercise. The hike wasn’t to bad, only five miles up and down, we really didn’t have any problem getting up there, except for exhaustion.
Anyway, great hike loved it!

Good hike this morning to Lake Catherine. On the way, you’ll pass Dog Lake and Lakes Mary and Martha. It’s also fun (easily manageable without crampons) to hike in the snow.

Great hike. It had just snowed the day before. That extra layer of snow gave a good crunch under the feet going up, but coming down was more muddy and slippery. We went with our five kids (10,9,6,5,5) and grandma. The snow on the way down was difficult for grandma, but we walked down together to minimize slips. Kids did fine. I carried one on my shoulders off and on much of the way down due to cold feet. No clearly marked trail head, but you figure it out from the parking lot pretty easily. We didn’t see any moose. Lake Mary was gorgeous, with some great picture spots for sure. I didn’t love hiking along the chair lift for that first section though. You lose a bit of the magic, but it’s still awesome. Next time we’ll go all the way to Lake Catherine for sure

My husband and I felt that this was our favorite hike of our short trip to the Wasatch Mountains. It is more of a moderate hike, like many have said, but it was by no means impossible to do. We felt challenged enough and each lake was spectacular! Fortunately, we did this hike prior to the snow that came later in the afternoon yesterday. After Lake Martha, it was slippery with a lot of ice, but probably not as icy as it could be now. Like past reviews have said, the hike from the base to Lake Mary was the most challenging part. Because this was our first time in the Wasatch Mountains, we wanted to see a lot and stopped at Lake Catherine. Next time we come out, we plan to go all the way up!

Amazing views!

Fantastic lake and worth it to go all the way to Catherine and not stop at Mary

Beautiful hike, lots of photo ops and lunch spots. I would classify this more of a moderate hike for those new to the area, the first part to Lake Mary had me puffing a bit. I made the mistake of taking the right branch at the fork after Lake Martha and ended up above Lake Catherine...very pretty, so worth the mistake.

Classic Wasatch trail with stunning views and wildflowers. Can be pretty heavily trafficked on the weekends during the summer. This is the trail out of Brighton at mile 75 of the Wasatch 100 Mile Endurance Run, so it was always a welcome friend. Trail up from Lake Martha to Lake Catherine is wide, smooth, and not very steep - so it's fun to run down. In the summer I'd leave a fishing pole hidden up at Lake Catherine and enjoy a break there.

Absolutely beautiful trail with good vistas. A reasonable amount of uphill hiking and rocky areas. I would recommend a pole or two for the hike down although we managed fine without them. I would call this a moderate hike.

Absolutely beautiful trail. Wildflowers everywhere. Wouldn't classify this trail as easy, more moderate, but very doable. Lots of sun exposure which makes it feel hotter but still nice out. Saw 3 moose out today, 2 bulls and 1 female. Lake Mary is the prettiest of the 3 but the views from the end are awesome!

Simple and beautiful!

Really beautiful hike. It was steep up to Lake Mary. After that it wasn't bad to Lake Catherine. Went to Dog Lake on the way down. Saw a big bull moose. Lots of wildflowers.

Such a great hike! Beautiful flowers, awesome sights!!

Got there and went right up to sunset peak... I'm not the best hiker and it was doable with little breaks along the way!