Lake Catherine Via Brighton Lakes Trail

Lake Catherine Via Brighton Lakes Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, fishing, and fly fishing and is best used from May until October.

Via Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd) to Brighton. From the Brighton area parking lot, look for the cedar chip road that goes behind Molly Green's Restaurant and the Majestic Lift. The Trailhead is located behind the Mt. Majestic Lodge on the left side of the road. Activities

Good hike this morning to Lake Catherine. On the way, you’ll pass Dog Lake and Lakes Mary and Martha. It’s also fun (easily manageable without crampons) to hike in the snow.

Great hike. It had just snowed the day before. That extra layer of snow gave a good crunch under the feet going up, but coming down was more muddy and slippery. We went with our five kids (10,9,6,5,5) and grandma. The snow on the way down was difficult for grandma, but we walked down together to minimize slips. Kids did fine. I carried one on my shoulders off and on much of the way down due to cold feet. No clearly marked trail head, but you figure it out from the parking lot pretty easily. We didn’t see any moose. Lake Mary was gorgeous, with some great picture spots for sure. I didn’t love hiking along the chair lift for that first section though. You lose a bit of the magic, but it’s still awesome. Next time we’ll go all the way to Lake Catherine for sure

My husband and I felt that this was our favorite hike of our short trip to the Wasatch Mountains. It is more of a moderate hike, like many have said, but it was by no means impossible to do. We felt challenged enough and each lake was spectacular! Fortunately, we did this hike prior to the snow that came later in the afternoon yesterday. After Lake Martha, it was slippery with a lot of ice, but probably not as icy as it could be now. Like past reviews have said, the hike from the base to Lake Mary was the most challenging part. Because this was our first time in the Wasatch Mountains, we wanted to see a lot and stopped at Lake Catherine. Next time we come out, we plan to go all the way up!

Amazing views!

Fantastic lake and worth it to go all the way to Catherine and not stop at Mary

Beautiful hike, lots of photo ops and lunch spots. I would classify this more of a moderate hike for those new to the area, the first part to Lake Mary had me puffing a bit. I made the mistake of taking the right branch at the fork after Lake Martha and ended up above Lake Catherine...very pretty, so worth the mistake.

Classic Wasatch trail with stunning views and wildflowers. Can be pretty heavily trafficked on the weekends during the summer. This is the trail out of Brighton at mile 75 of the Wasatch 100 Mile Endurance Run, so it was always a welcome friend. Trail up from Lake Martha to Lake Catherine is wide, smooth, and not very steep - so it's fun to run down. In the summer I'd leave a fishing pole hidden up at Lake Catherine and enjoy a break there.

Absolutely beautiful trail with good vistas. A reasonable amount of uphill hiking and rocky areas. I would recommend a pole or two for the hike down although we managed fine without them. I would call this a moderate hike.

Absolutely beautiful trail. Wildflowers everywhere. Wouldn't classify this trail as easy, more moderate, but very doable. Lots of sun exposure which makes it feel hotter but still nice out. Saw 3 moose out today, 2 bulls and 1 female. Lake Mary is the prettiest of the 3 but the views from the end are awesome!

Simple and beautiful!

Really beautiful hike. It was steep up to Lake Mary. After that it wasn't bad to Lake Catherine. Went to Dog Lake on the way down. Saw a big bull moose. Lots of wildflowers.

Such a great hike! Beautiful flowers, awesome sights!!

Got there and went right up to sunset peak... I'm not the best hiker and it was doable with little breaks along the way!

Loved this hike! Lake Mary and Lake Catherine are gorgeous. The wildflowers are incredible this time of year.

The wild flowers were beautiful. We finished by 11, before it got too hot. However, we started out freezing cold, so I'd bring a light jacket. The mosquitoes were pretty intense when near any of the three lakes, but not too bothersome if we kept moving.

Beautiful views and loved all the wild flowers.

As you can tell from the number of reviews, this is a popular hike. I went early in the morning and hardly saw anyone, and sadly, no moose. The hardest part is the first .5 or so miles climbing up the ski slopes from the Brighton base. Once you get off the slopes it is pretty quick to Lake Mary, which is full and really pretty right now. A few mosquitoes, even at Catherine pass. When you get up to Catherine Pass, above Lake Catherine, it's not that much further to the top of Sunset Peak. It looks daunting, but the trail actually runs around the Alta side and is pretty easy. I'm still too much of a wimp to do Wolverine Peak on the other side.

There are numerous types of wildflowers in the trail. Chipmunks and birds dot the entire trail. The clear waters of L. Catherine are spectacular. We actually did it as a loop by taking the right at Dog Lake deviation to Lakes Mary and Martha, then a hike upward to Catherine followed by a different route in return, but a very clear trail, to meet the trails at the Dog Lake. There are lots of mosquitoes in the evening, take some spray with you.

Pretty good trail. Not too tough, kinda busy depending what time of the day/week you go. Nice views of the lake. Make sure to check out dog lake while you're there.