Lake Catherine Via Brighton Lakes Trail

Lake Catherine Via Brighton Lakes Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, fishing, and fly fishing and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,243 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Because this trail lies within a protected watershed, dogs and swimming are not permitted in the area.

One of my favorite hikes in BCC. Didn’t see a moose or bear but flowers are blooming!!! So gorgeous this time of year. A little bit of snow just pass Lake Mary but not too bad. Make sure you have descent hiking shoes or it could be a little slippery in certain areas.

was a little muddy and snowy, but nice hike! good workout! we saw deer and there were signs warning of a bear but we didnt see one :)

This hike was a little harder than I expected due to the elevation. I’m from Phoenix. Such beautiful views. Lake Mary was my favorite but it was nice to make it all the way back to Lake Catherine. There was still snow on the trail and I wish we had our hiking shoes on. We were just in tennis shoes slipping around.so jealous someone else saw a moose out there today. We hoped we’d see one.

Great hike, beautiful lakes and we saw a Moose!

Still snow on parts of the trail, but we were able to make it up to Catherine.

We hiked this trail today. It’s gorgeous every step of the way! We made it all the way to Lake Catherine, but there were some treacherous, snowy sections. Unfortunately, I didn’t have my spikes (because JULY), but we were careful and managed with poles. When we got to Lake Catherine, it was partially frozen, and we couldn’t do the loop around the lake because there was so much snow. We went early and enjoyed the solitude. We had Lake Catherine all to ourselves! By the time we hiked back down to Lake Mary, it was swarming with people. Go early. Take spikes. Enjoy the view.

Gorgeous but still quite a bit of snow and could not go past Lake Mary.

Just finished hike on 7/1/19. We started at 5:35am just before sunrise and the views when the sun started to illuminate the peaks was spectacular. We got to Lake Mary without any real issues. Some snow and mud but not too bad. The out of Lake Mary to the next lake was complete snow pack & very steep. Went 1/3 of the way up and decided it would be too slippery with picks or spike shoes. Had to come down backwards. Definitely a great hike and would definitely recommend. The 1st section seemed to be the steepest.

It was all snow, no trail. Super hard to find the trailhead as well. Don’t recommend

Did this hike on 10/28/18. We made it to all three lakes. There was lots of snow, but most of it was packed in so you were not sinking down with every step. Wear proper hiking shoes and gear (we did not bring hiking poles but wish we did!). It was a gorgeous hike! The best part was that we were the only ones at Lake Catherine. I think the snow scared people off! Definitely recommend this hike.

Did this hike yesterday, or attempted to, anyway. Mary and Martha were absolutely gorgeous, but the trail to Catherine was completely covered in knee deep snow right at the loop. Probably could be done with snowshoes, but we did not have any. Scenery itself was beautiful despite not making it to Catherine. Can be easy to lose the trail in all of that snow. Regardless, bring poles and/or spikes. Trail was nearly entirely covered in snow/ice.

Really easy and really pretty. :)

Loved this hike! We live at sea level and did this right after getting off the plane in SLC, so the elevation was a bit tough in the beginning. We took it slow and steady until we felt better and would definitely recommend! It was a little crowded around the first lake, but thinned out a lot after that. Absolutely breathtaking views with a very cool mix of snow and fall foliage. Saw a deer, wood pecker, several chipmunks, and moose poo but sadly no moose. :-)

Went on a Friday morning while vacationing right after the first snowfall. We are from central Florida, and it was worth every lungful of oxygen we struggled to get as we made the climb. One of the best hikes I’ve ever been on.

Went on a weekday after work, after it had rained enough to dampen the trail a little bit. There were only a handful of people on the whole trail, but lots of wildlife...~15 deer and 1 porcupine! The fall colors are still there and the lakes were beautiful. Steady up and down, no real flat sections.

Fairly busy trail that takes you to 3 small lakes. The trailhead wasn’t that clear on the map provided with this app, so we just drove in the general direction and followed everyone else hoping they were heading to Lake Mary. Start by the big sign that says Thank You for riding Brighton and you’ll see just up ahead a wooden sign that confirmed we were on the right trail. Plenty of parking here. Be prepared with water. There plenty of elevation gain but I wouldn’t say any of it is too steep for too long. If your not a serious hiker, take your time, pace yourself with the slowest of the group and stop and rest. It’s worth the extra climb up to Catherine. It was my favorite of the 3. We had young kids in our group and we did the loop in 5 hours with probably an hour total of relaxing at Mary and Catherine, eating lunch and just hanging out. People had hammocks along the trail but I did see a group being told to take them down by a youngish girl, not quite sure who she was or what authority she had, or did I see anywhere stating rules against hanging them. Looked like a nice way to enjoy the peace of the mountains though.

This trail is a zoo up to Lake Mary, crowded and not super pretty with a view of the dam until you get up to Lake Mary. Lake Mary is a pretty lake. As is typical, once you get past 0.5 miles all of the crowds go away. After that it was beautiful, nice view down to Martha and then beautiful at Catherine. This is an easy hike overall. Fall colors are amazing. Oh and it hailed last night. Walk down and sunset colors were amazing. 5 for the natural beauty, 2 for the crowds to Mary.

Sooo incredible. Perfect temps, great scenery, pretty easy hike too. Took the whole fam and kids had no trouble making the hike carrying their own packs. Their ages range from 7 to 12. Also had some fun little trails for us to explore in the morning around the lake too.

Beautiful hike. The entire way there is just so much to see. The mountains themselves are exquisite. We saw deer and moose off the trail. On the way to Catherine you pass lake Mary. Made a mental note to come back and camp overnight at Lake Mary. It would be an easy backpacking trip in and out.

We hiked up and camped at Lake Catherine. It took us about 1.5 hours. Great spot with a relatively short hike (about 2 miles up). The trail was pleasant. The views of Lake Catherine, Mary, and Mary were so nice. We went up the first week of September and the leaves were just starting to turn.

Been on many hard hikes and wanted an easier one. Loved this trail. Was not strenuous at all. Saw a moose just chilling in the middle of the trail. Such beautiful scenery and well worth the small effort this takes to get to the lakes. The lakes were absolutely breath taking.

Very busy today but Lake Catherine was so worth it. If we didn’t have the kids we would have continued up to Sunset Peak. Saw a mama and baby moose bedded for hours in the grass. Beautiful!

Amazing trail kinda busy but my 4 year old rock star loved it.

Loved this hike. Lake Catherine by far the most beautiful. Very peaceful place to sit on the shoreline and take in all the beauty and sounds of nature.

One of the most beautiful hikes I’ve been on. After the deep woods of the Wasatch you eventually come upon two lakes surrounded by rocky, craggy mountaintops. Look northeast and you’ll see Park City’s Jupiter Peak and Scott Hill. Once you get to Lake Catherine, there are several other trails if you want to continue your adventure. I headed west up the ridge between Sunset Peak and Mount Wolverine. Next time I plan to hike up to both peaks for more spectacular views. Right over the top of the ridge is a trail down to the Albion Basin in Alta. Finally, I went pretty early and get started at 8 AM and was alone most of the way. When I came back down the trail started getting busier.