Lake Catherine Via Brighton Lakes Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, fishing, and fly fishing and is best used from May until October.

Via Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd) to Brighton. From the Brighton area parking lot, look for the cedar chip road that goes behind Molly Green's Restaurant and the Majestic Lift. The Trailhead is located behind the Mt. Majestic Lodge on the left side of the road. Activities

Did this hike on 10/28/18. We made it to all three lakes. There was lots of snow, but most of it was packed in so you were not sinking down with every step. Wear proper hiking shoes and gear (we did not bring hiking poles but wish we did!). It was a gorgeous hike! The best part was that we were the only ones at Lake Catherine. I think the snow scared people off! Definitely recommend this hike.

Did this hike yesterday, or attempted to, anyway. Mary and Martha were absolutely gorgeous, but the trail to Catherine was completely covered in knee deep snow right at the loop. Probably could be done with snowshoes, but we did not have any. Scenery itself was beautiful despite not making it to Catherine. Can be easy to lose the trail in all of that snow.
Regardless, bring poles and/or spikes. Trail was nearly entirely covered in snow/ice.

Really easy and really pretty. :)

Loved this hike! We live at sea level and did this right after getting off the plane in SLC, so the elevation was a bit tough in the beginning. We took it slow and steady until we felt better and would definitely recommend! It was a little crowded around the first lake, but thinned out a lot after that. Absolutely breathtaking views with a very cool mix of snow and fall foliage. Saw a deer, wood pecker, several chipmunks, and moose poo but sadly no moose. :-)

Went on a Friday morning while vacationing right after the first snowfall. We are from central Florida, and it was worth every lungful of oxygen we struggled to get as we made the climb. One of the best hikes I’ve ever been on.

Went on a weekday after work, after it had rained enough to dampen the trail a little bit. There were only a handful of people on the whole trail, but lots of wildlife...~15 deer and 1 porcupine! The fall colors are still there and the lakes were beautiful.
Steady up and down, no real flat sections.

Fairly busy trail that takes you to 3 small lakes. The trailhead wasn’t that clear on the map provided with this app, so we just drove in the general direction and followed everyone else hoping they were heading to Lake Mary. Start by the big sign that says Thank You for riding Brighton and you’ll see just up ahead a wooden sign that confirmed we were on the right trail. Plenty of parking here. Be prepared with water. There plenty of elevation gain but I wouldn’t say any of it is too steep for too long. If your not a serious hiker, take your time, pace yourself with the slowest of the group and stop and rest. It’s worth the extra climb up to Catherine. It was my favorite of the 3. We had young kids in our group and we did the loop in 5 hours with probably an hour total of relaxing at Mary and Catherine, eating lunch and just hanging out. People had hammocks along the trail but I did see a group being told to take them down by a youngish girl, not quite sure who she was or what authority she had, or did I see anywhere stating rules against hanging them. Looked like a nice way to enjoy the peace of the mountains though.

This trail is a zoo up to Lake Mary, crowded and not super pretty with a view of the dam until you get up to Lake Mary. Lake Mary is a pretty lake. As is typical, once you get past 0.5 miles all of the crowds go away. After that it was beautiful, nice view down to Martha and then beautiful at Catherine. This is an easy hike overall. Fall colors are amazing. Oh and it hailed last night. Walk down and sunset colors were amazing. 5 for the natural beauty, 2 for the crowds to Mary.

Sooo incredible. Perfect temps, great scenery, pretty easy hike too. Took the whole fam and kids had no trouble making the hike carrying their own packs. Their ages range from 7 to 12. Also had some fun little trails for us to explore in the morning around the lake too.

Beautiful hike. The entire way there is just so much to see. The mountains themselves are exquisite. We saw deer and moose off the trail. On the way to Catherine you pass lake Mary. Made a mental note to come back and camp overnight at Lake Mary. It would be an easy backpacking trip in and out.

We hiked up and camped at Lake Catherine. It took us about 1.5 hours. Great spot with a relatively short hike (about 2 miles up). The trail was pleasant. The views of Lake Catherine, Mary, and Mary were so nice. We went up the first week of September and the leaves were just starting to turn.

Been on many hard hikes and wanted an easier one. Loved this trail. Was not strenuous at all. Saw a moose just chilling in the middle of the trail. Such beautiful scenery and well worth the small effort this takes to get to the lakes. The lakes were absolutely breath taking.

Very busy today but Lake Catherine was so worth it. If we didn’t have the kids we would have continued up to Sunset Peak. Saw a mama and baby moose bedded for hours in the grass. Beautiful!

Amazing trail kinda busy but my 4 year old rock star loved it.

Loved this hike. Lake Catherine by far the most beautiful. Very peaceful place to sit on the shoreline and take in all the beauty and sounds of nature.

One of the most beautiful hikes I’ve been on. After the deep woods of the Wasatch you eventually come upon two lakes surrounded by rocky, craggy mountaintops. Look northeast and you’ll see Park City’s Jupiter Peak and Scott Hill.

Once you get to Lake Catherine, there are several other trails if you want to continue your adventure. I headed west up the ridge between Sunset Peak and Mount Wolverine. Next time I plan to hike up to both peaks for more spectacular views. Right over the top of the ridge is a trail down to the Albion Basin in Alta.

Finally, I went pretty early and get started at 8 AM and was alone most of the way. When I came back down the trail started getting busier.

Beautiful hike!

A beautiful trail that starts up with a wide open incline across ski hills. Then you get to the forested area and it’s beautiful plus you see 3 alpine lakes. Stop at Lake Martha to look for deer and moose hiding on the left side of the small lake. Lots of hikers but still opportunities to see marmots, squirrels, chippies and a few deer and moose.

Maybe a bit more moderate than easy going uphill, but it was a beautiful trail. The first Lake was so big and peaceful. Nice quiet trail but definitely more traffic on it by early afternoon.

I’ve done his trail twice. It’s really good. Well trafficked so if you get hurt there’s someone close by to help. The downside is that it’s well trafficked so you’re never really alone. Ok the bright side, great cellphone coverage. At least on T-Mobile. I assume Verizon and AT&T’s coverage will be just as good.

It’s a fun trail. Do it in the morning. It gets hot in the summer afternoon.

Did this hike this morning and loved it! So beautiful.

Hiked this early Sunday morning. We started at 7AM and were back down around 10AM at a nice and easy pace. It was getting really busy as we were almost done, but before that it was peaceful and quiet. Beautiful trail. Definitely a good moderate hike. With a little wandering around I ended up clocking around 5.5 miles.

Did this one yesterday and it took about 2 hours to make it to the top. My 4 year old was able to do the whole hike himself and the views at the top are breathtaking. Definitely a good family hike.

Fun hike with beautiful wild flowers. Depending on your fitness level, easy to moderate. We got there at 7am and only saw 4 other people. Pretty busy on the way down. We took it slow on the way up, and stopped a lot to take pics of flowers. With one minor detour it took us 2 hours to get up and one hour to get down.

Very good hike

I love this one!! Start from Brighton and you’ll be able to see all three lakes. It’s a great hike for families that will still give a tiny bit of challenge. Bring bug spray!

It is a moderate or Maybe because it was my first hike this season. The lakes are beautiful. I am thankful to witness this beauty of nature . It is so quiet and relaxing up there. I have enjoyed it .

Easy out and back with nice views of the lake.

Great trail. Started at 6:00am, saw 3 moose, 3 deer, and the trail loop around the east of Catherine had fresh mountain lion tracks. Bugs were out but with bug spray no issue. (July 15)

As two younger males, it took us 1.5 hrs to do the whole trail. We continued on past Lake Catherine to the Sunset Peak trail, which was steeper. To the top of Sunset Peak took another hour with stops and it was worth the extra climb.

Did this hike on Saturday July 14th. Started at 7:30 am which was perfect since by the time we were coming back down it was getting really crowded. Somehow we ended up going 6.9 miles, not 4.4, but we did take a random trail at the end towards lake Catherine that took us the back way around. Still doesn't seem to add up though. I'm pretty out of shape and we also stopped to take lots of pics of the beautiful wildflowers, so it took us about 2.5 hours to get up (also had a 15-20 minute break at Lake Mary) and an hour to get back down. Dog Lake was first which was more of a swamp, Lake Mary was next and absolutely beautiful. Lake Martha also felt more swamp esque but provided some good scenery as you continue towards Lake Catherine. The flowers were unreal, but so we're the mosquitoes, so definitely pack some bug spray! All in all I would definitely recommend since despite the steep incline right off the bat, the lakes are such a high payoff. We also saw 2 moose on the way back down!