Lake Blanche Trail

Lake Blanche Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,706 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Because this trail lies within a protected watershed, dogs and swimming are not permitted in the area. Though demanding, this hike has it all: beautiful mountaintop lake, awesome views, and abundant wildlife. Plan to stop several times to catch your breath. The views down into the canyon below are breathtaking. Just prior to arriving at the lake, parts of Salt Lake City are also visible from the trail. ADVISORIES: The trail does not start at the information board labeled "Lake Blanche Trail." The trailhead is 1/4 mile from the parking lot right beside the creek coming down from the drainage. Make sure to take plenty of water! Insect repellent is a good idea as mosquitos are plentiful. If you are planning this hike for later in the day, pack a flashlight (with fresh batteries) in case your journey takes longer than planned. Attempting to navigate the trail after dark would be a very dangerous endeavor.

1 hour ago

Great hike. Difficult but not too strenuous with views worth the effort. We found a nice spot on the far side of the lake away from the crowd that develops at the top.

Great trail and a very strenuous hike. Yesterday the trail conditions were very poor and proper footwear is a must. Trail is very slick, with lots of traffic and snow after about 1 mile in. Breathtaking views at the top make it worth while!

Little bits of ice here and there but over all still doable without any special equipment!

Definitely one of the toughest hikes we have done. If you’re not a local then you’re in for a long long hike. We started at 8am and got to the top around 11a. Had to make several stops to catch our breath and fuel up. The views a spectacular and so are the colors right now. But it comes at a price - steep, rocky terrain. However, it took just as long for us to get back because the steep grade and sharp rocks made each step painful (even with hiking boots). Although, we met several locals who were hiking up as we were going down and they managed to pass us on the way down as well. Overall it’s a huge achievement for novice hikers. Start early, bring lots and lots of water and high energy protein bars.

Beautiful hike, took us 4 hours in total with 2 kids. The tree colours are beautiful. The lake is stunning, worth it!

I did the hike this morning. Started at 5:30 and finished about 9:30. Definitely one of the best hikes I've been on but it was pretty tough. At least I thought it was but then a guy blew past me on the way up because he was jogging. So clearly it's not tough for everyone.

I am 53 years old and my husband is 56. We hiked it with no problem, however it is strenuous. It took us four hours and 15 minutes round-trip. We stopped at the lake and had a nice little lunch. I stopped several times to take pictures. We went on October 12. If you can go this week I highly recommend it! The colors are really beautiful this time of year.

Great hike! Not as difficult as some make it out to be. Beautiful fall colors right now. Takes 5-6 hours total depending on how fast you hike. Bring a packed lunch for the top!

Very fun trail. Challenging, but not overly difficult. The trail is a steady incline the entire way up and you also feel it in your legs the entire way down. Took us a little over 4 hours including a half hour to hang out at the lake. Super pretty right now with all the fall colors. Weather was cool in the morning around 9am but very pleasant once in the sun.

Cool and tough hike. Saw three moose and beautiful colors of the falls.

Tough climb but worth it at the top, then easy the whole way down. Rocky in a few spots.

Beautiful this time of year, saw a couple moose having a snack right off the trail

What a great hike. Long, challenging, very scenic, moose and cool peeps that love to hike. You always seem to make friends. Started at 7:30am at 26 degrees and made it down by 2:30pm at 61 degrees. I'm hurting all over. Lol

This trail offered amazing views the entire way there and back. Definitely not for beginners as I quickly learned. Steady incline the entire way up with no real flat parts to catch your breath. We went in early October which gave some of the best foliage you could ask for. Dress warm! It gets extremely cold with the shaded trees and up at the lake on top of the mountain. Make sure to pack lots of water and tissues if you get sniffly in the cold like me. We even got to see a moose! He was right off the trail having a snack but definitely an amazing site. I would recommend to those who are in shape and hiked rocky terrain before. If you’re a beginner or not in shape, may not be the best option.

The trail is beautiful right now with some great fall colors. I came across several moose close to the trail.

We started at 7 AM, easily got parking, and came in to contact with very few people on the way up the trail, but around 1 PM on the way down the trail was very busy. This took about 5 1/2 hours to get up to lake Blanche, walk around to the other lakes, rest, take photos, and get back down. We even saw two moose just hanging out right on the trail having a snack. Such a beautiful place and worth going.

Gorgeous from the first step to the last. Lake is still beautiful up top, I also hiked to the smaller lakes and the waterfall and it’s all stunning. Terrain is rocky so wear your hiking boots. Total trip time with the off trail trek to the sister lakes was 5 hours.

Beautiful views right now, gets pretty steep in a few places, but trail is in great condition. Watch the trail closely when you hit the rock slide, don’t scramble up too far - Trail jogs right and up. Take a flashlight and plan on a couple hours up and back.

this was a beautiful hike. I brought a friend from out of town and he did not have the same feeling. He said it was more difficult than he expected and not worth the hike. I disagree and I warned him. Great views and best time.of year to go.

great hike, the lower lakes have far less people

Beautiful trail, well marked, great views the entire way up and down. The lake is lovely. The fall colors are so amazing.

Great hike and amazing views. Unfortunately we didn’t see any wildlife. It’s a steady incline the entire 3.5 miles up. Not the most difficult hike but I’d definitely recommend being in decent shape.

Awesome.