Lake Blanche Trail

HARD 2,628 reviews

Lake Blanche Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Beautiful mountaintop lake, awesome views, and abundant wildlife. This is a demanding hike! Plan to stop several times to catch your breath. If you want exercise, this is the hike for you. It's a lot of work, but it is well worth it. The views down into the canyon below are breathtaking. Just prior to arriving at the lake, parts of Salt Lake City are also visible from the trail. There is plenty of wildlife and an abundant variety of trees, flowers, and everything else Utah's great outdoors has to offer! This is a very difficult hike, but is very satisfying to complete. Everyone should do it at least once! ADVISORIES: Make sure to take plenty of water! Insect repellent is a good idea as mosquitos are plentiful. If you are planning this hike for later in the day, pack a flashlight (with fresh batteries) in case your journey takes longer than planned. Attempting to navigate the trail after dark would be a very dangerous endeavor.

Gorgeous hike through cliffs on either side to the lake. Weird start of the trail, a small road that'll become the trail, stay right after the bridge. The path mere feet from the stream past the bridge is a social trail only. Saw a few moose on the way up, and a few of us went off trail to avoid them. Definitely not an easy hike but doable. About 5 hours round trip as I go slow to enjoy the scenery.

Absolutely beautiful!! We left the trailhead around 2 so we got to see the sunset which was amazing. the trail had snow the whole way but wasn't slippery. Took about 3.5 hours!

It was my first experience and i chose the hardest one, what a coincidence. You should get hiking shoes cause i was with my running shoes. You gonna really need carb for this trail.(gel, protein bar etc.) When you get the Lake Blanche you need to go edge of the ridge and see the amazing view.

This trail was fantastic! It was challenging in spots but the views made it worth it. There is some ice and slush towards the top which made it a little more difficult but it was a great way to spend 3.5 hours. I highly recommend it!

My favorite hike by far. Some snow at the top. Yak tracks are nice in some spots but not necessary.

Did this hike two days ago. There’s some muddy spots and some icy spots, so I recommend boots and yaktraks (near the top). We made it up the icy spots fine, but coming down you have to slide a little, or try to walk around it. It was a beautiful day to hike, but the end of the trail was pretty cold and windy. This is one of my favorite Utah hikes and as far as difficulty, I don’t think I would rate this as a HARD hike, but would say MEDIUM+. It does have a steady incline the whole time, but if you are even in a little bit of shape, it isn’t that hard. Just take a couple breaks to check out the scenery, and bring lots of water.

Hiked on 11/25/2017. There is ice/snow on the trail in several places. Wouldn't be a bad idea to take crampons. We saw a moose about 20 yards off the trail.

I thought this was quite hard, but a fun hike and a beautiful ending!

I got to the lake in 2:30 hours with multiple breaks, it’s difficult a little bit but you won’t regret it . I met a moose on my way but he gave me a careless look then got back to his grass.
Snacks and plenty of water are needed I finished my 2 L bottle.
The lake is frozen and the view up there is fabulous but I recommend it on summer and fall.
I spend 2 hours hanging out with my buddy and taking pictures, we went back at night in 1:30 hour but don’t do it at night it’s dark and tough way with rocks.

The trail is a whole lotta uphill, but it’s 100% worth it for the amazing views at the top!!! Keep an eye out for moose on the trail, i saw 2 on my way down. Make sure you leave time to explore and relax by Lake Blanche, Lake Lillian and Lake Florence. Bring plenty of water and snacks and enjoy :)

WARNING: make sure you do not leave any valuables in your vehicle, and consider leaving your vehicle unlocked. I parked at the small lot at the S curve in the road just above the trailhead lot, and my back passenger window was smashed in while I was hiking. There wasn’t anything of value in the car (the idiots only got away with a bag of Skinnypop and a box of Triscuits), but the window will cost a pretty penny to replace. When I spoke with the police station, they said this has happened multiple times at this trailhead. Their advice was to make sure nothing is in your vehicle and your doors are unlocked (so if thieves do decide to enter your vehicle, they don’t have to damage it to do so). It sure put a damper on the end of an otherwise amazing day of hiking, I would hate for others to have a similar experience.

One of my favorite hikes in Utah. Simply stunning. A must see in the fall.

Awesome hike, it’s all up hill but extremely rewarding when you reach the top.

Extremely difficult uphill hike. I only stopped briefly once or twice but you’ll feel those lungs and legs workin! Wish I would have done it a bit sooner as it would have been amazing in fall. The lake wasn’t as beautiful as I imagined but still a nice resting place to enjoy a cold one.
The trailhead was a little tough to find since the gates/lot were closed for “winter” - it was October! But it’s in the corner just before you go up the zig zag in the road

Great hike and cardio work out! There was no snow or ice on the trail today so it was a perfect time to go.

Dope hike, wish I caught it a couple of weeks ago when the aspens still had their leaves. Sundial Peak over Lake Blanche is well worth the hike. Same as other hikers said it's a little icy in spots so if you're going up in sneakers good luck

The perfect trail

best hike ever.

O

Absolutely breathtaking. It’s a tough hike but well worth it to reach the lake. Don’t forget to check out the other two smaller lakes right next to Blanche.

Hiked it early this morning and had the trail to ourselves for the most part. Beautiful weather, saw three moose. Trail is a bit icy/slick in places, but manageable. Views throughout are amazing!