Lackawaxen Lake Trail

Lackawaxen Lake Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Midway, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trailhead can be accessed from Salt Lake Valley via Big Cottonwood Canyon or from Midway via Guardsman's Pass. From Salt Lake Valley, take Big Cottonwood Road (190) all the way up past Solitude and there is a turn to your left before you come to Brighton that takes you to Guardsman's pass. From Midway, take Pine Canyon Road (224) past the golf course and follow that road for a little over 8 miles and before you drop down into Brighton ski area, there is a place to park at the saddle of Guardsman's Pass.

We took this route and it was pretty challenging: From the trailhead keep right to hike up towards 10420 Peak, hike back down towards Lackawaxen Lake, then follow the power lines (keep left at the 2nd fork) towards Bloods Lake. Highly recommend bringing your dog!

I would say this is more on the moderate/hard side with the huge increase in elevation during this hike on the way in and way out. So worth it!!!

Still pretty snowy towards the top of 420 peak. Lackawaxen Lake was surrounded by snow so I decided to head towards bloods instead.

I highly suggest this route- I started at Guardsman's Pass saddle to park and then hiked up Clayton's peak-pretty rocky and very steep but short and the peak views are amazing then you keep hiking straight to go down the other side to Lackawaxen Lake then you can back track a little bit and instead of going back up the way you came there's a trail that is off to the right- keep going to Blood's Lake to make it a loop back up to Guardsman's Pass parking lot. I brought my dog and set up my hammock at Lackawaxen and then jumped in at Bloods Lake which also has a rope swing and its a popular watering hole in the summer. Very fun day!

Less of a zoo than Blood Lake and more scenic in the bowl under Clayton peak. You can access it via peak 10420 and dropping down, or just continuing past bloods lake.

This is a great hike to a beautiful lake that probably isn't visited often because of the degree of difficulty if you choose the route over and past peak 10420. You can also get to LL if you hike into Bloods Lake and go up the hill on the far side and then follow the power line to the right. Hiking over the boulder field close to the lake is a high point as well as the views when you get there. For those going the peak 10420 route, you may be able to bag Clayton Peak, as it is right in front of you before hanging a left down a steep slope to Lake Lackawaxen.

We started up the saddle to 10,420 peak, it's very steep, but with plenty of shade to catch your breath. We intended to go to Lackawaxen lake but could not determine which way to go at the first fork. The only reason I gave this hike 4 out of 5 stars is because there are no trail signs or markers of any kind. We asked other hikers along the way and nobody knew which way to Lackawaxen lake. We did come to two trail forks, and I realize now the first fork after you descend the peak, if you stay right you will reach the lake not far after that, but it's up another peak and you can't see the lake from the fork. We stayed left and followed the power lines north (down) to bloods lake. Again, there was a fork in the trail right before bloods, unmarked and we stayed left. We got lucky and made the right choice. Next time I will know to take the first fork right to reach Lackawaxen. Hope this helps!

We hiked up the ridge to reach lackawaxen then passed bloods lake on our way out. I was surprised the trail described here, which is the ridge, was rated as moderate. I definitely think it should be rated hard. The trail is very steep with loose rock the majority of the way. Beautiful views and the lake is great.

Beautiful mountaintop view and a perfect lake at the end. Definitely worth the climb.
Unfortunately, some dog owners are not responsible enough to clean up after their fuzzy friends, and we saw many of their contributions around the otherwise pristine lake.
Maybe dogs should be restricted to Bloods Lake, which is a circus of kids and dogs anyway.

Lackawaxen was so refreshing after passing Bloods. We saw 2 other hikers up there and they were on the other side of the lake. The hike out to Guardsmans trail was steep, but it is a short climb to the ridge. There is still snow in the shadows and a bit muddy in some places by the lake. Such a pretty setting.

Went to Lackawaxen Lake today. It's a steep climb to get to the base of Peak 420 and fairly steep on the other side down to the lake. But the lake itself was beautiful - quiet and peaceful. The same can't be said for Blood's Lake, which we passed on the way out. It was a big party: coolers, rafts in the water, even grills. If you're looking for solitude go to Lackawaxen. If you're looking for a party, go to Blood's.

This is my favorite local hike. It has the best of everything, a beautiful 360 view, wildflowers, lakes surrounded by boulders and grassy meadows. It's not too far of a hike and has a pretty good climb at the beginning, just enough to make you feel like you got a decent workout in. The way back is mostly downhill if you head north east towards Bloods Lake instead of going back up peak 420. I would suggest beginning by going up 420 peak the down to Lackawaxen then Bloods and out. It's around 5 miles total. Dogs are also allowed which is awesome!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Pretty dangerous hike as you are on the edge of a cliff.

Friday, September 09, 2016

Lovely hike. It was Labor day, and incredibly busy, but so was every other trailhead in Big Cottonwood, and 90% of the people were headed down to Bloods lake. No mosquitoes noted today. The trail is very steep, although we stayed on the ridge up and over the little peaklet at about 0.5 mi, and coming down that was probably the steepest part (note the the trail as marked goes around the peaklet, but this means you are on the SLC side of the divide and sometimes people will get after you for having a dog). I ran up Clayton peak while my family continued down from the saddle at about 0.75 mi and continued S to Lake Lackawaxen, where I met them. We had a lovely lunch there, then doubled back on the lower trail to pass Blood's lake on the way back to the trailhead. There were plenty of people on the trail, but not really crowded expect the little section between Bloods and the trailhead. I would highly encourage making the trip over to lackawaxen. Although the ridge trail gains a lot more elevation, it gives you wonderful views both directions. The lower trail was often shaded and very nice. Oh, and given cooler temps the last few days, no more mosquitoes!

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Beautiful country. Lots of mosquitos. Will definitely return with my dog!

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Lots of mosquitos so bring your spray but totally worth it. Go up over 10420 and the after you visit lackwaxsen you can loop down to blood lake of you mostly stay left. It can get a bit confusing and I wish there were trail signs! You can bring your dog which is way cool.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

loads of people go to blood lake. keep going up the mountain and you might have this lake to yourself.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

So. Many. Mosquitos.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Beautiful

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Loved this trail, had enough open spaces for my beagle to run and play while still having a point a to point b trail for me. She wasn't fond of crossing boulder field but cause I'm a pushover, I carried my beagle across to get to the lake (hahaha)
I am from Salt Lake Valley and I have to drive through Big Cottonwood Canyon to get to the other side, this merited me a lot of dirty looks but no one stopped me for it. Just don't stop with your dog in the cottonwood canyons.

Saturday, September 05, 2015

Took the long way to this one: Peak 10420, Clayton Peak, and then dropped down to the drainage and to Lackawaxen. This is a beautiful lake. I've been to it twice now and didn't see one person anywhere near the lake. Not a big one but what it lacks in size it makes up for in solitude, quiet and beautiful surroundings. There are a few good spots around the lake for tents. Definitely worth the trek up and over 10420. I always circle around to Bloods Lake on the way back. Much nicer going back that way than back up and over 10420.

Monday, August 31, 2015

Great workout trail as it's ups ups ups n downs. Nice views and hard drops down into the lakes. Will test the stout of heart.

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Trail climbs steeply up Peak 10,420 great views then drops down to a saddle. The trail to Lackawaxen lake drops down to the drainage on the left. When you get down the trail climbs to the right up to the lake. Its a small beautiful lake at the base of Clayton Peak. You can return the way you came or instead of climbing back to the saddle take the right fork and follow the trail to Bloods lake and return back to the trailhead.

recorded Lackawaxen Lake Trail