Lackawaxen Lake Trail

Lackawaxen Lake Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Brighton, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trailhead can be accessed from Salt Lake Valley via Big Cottonwood Canyon or from Midway via Guardsman's Pass. From Salt Lake Valley, take Big Cottonwood Road (190) all the way up past Solitude and there is a turn to your left before you come to Brighton that takes you to Guardsman's pass. From Midway, take Pine Canyon Road (224) past the golf course and follow that road for a little over 8 miles and before you drop down into Brighton ski area, there is a place to park at the saddle of Guardsman's Pass.

20 minutes ago

This app is great

This trail was super steep. I think based on other trails around here, I’m feeling like this should be rated hard. Beautiful views and awesome lakes!

Well... we went to hike Lackawaxen but not too far into the hike we came upon a lake. It was Blood Lake. I get my trusty Alltrails trail out and see we arent even on the right trail. However, this became a lovely loop to Lackawaxen. For 1 the Lackawaxen trail is STEEP at the beginning. My knees were killing me coming down it so depending which way you would rather do the loop think of those things. If you want to go up the steep part take the trail to the right that goes up a steep incline if you want to sneak up on Lackawaxen from Blood Lake take the flat trail to the left. Once at Blood Lake keep following the lake around and you will see a trail heading up. Take that up and you will come to a clearing and pass under power lines. Keep following that trail to Lackawaxen. If you see boulders you cross them and the lake is a stones throw away. I am glad we went the wrong way mostly because the beginning is steep and 2 the views! Yeah you get the views coming up but some of the best ones will be at your back. If you come up this way be sure to stop a lot and turn around.

There were some steep, loose areas that made it pretty challenging with a toddler in my carrier, but the breeze, some shade, and little traffic made it a wonderful Sunday. The wildflowers were bright, and the lake offered a great resting place. We wrapped around to Blood Lake, which was booming with people.

Definitely on the harder side and it was swarming with mosquitoes but the views were incredible.

Fantastic family walk. Perfect swim lake and rope. Minimal bugs in middle of the day.

Amazing hike!! I was surprised it was rated a moderate hike though because the first mile and a half or so is very steep and was difficult, which is why I rated 4 out of 5 stars. Although completely worth it! The view from 10420 peak is indescribably beautiful and I would do it again tomorrow. I preferred Blood Lake over Lackawaxen Lake because of the mosquitos. Lackawaxen was swarming we couldn't stay more than 10 minutes. If you go down the other side of 10420 and get to the bottom, there is a trail going left and one going right, left is Blood Lake and right is Lackawaxen. Both are absolutely worth seeing but Blood Lake was the best part of the hike besides the view from the mountain top.
Highly recommend this hike!

We took this route and it was pretty challenging: From the trailhead keep right to hike up towards 10420 Peak, hike back down towards Lackawaxen Lake, then follow the power lines (keep left at the 2nd fork) towards Bloods Lake. Highly recommend bringing your dog!

I would say this is more on the moderate/hard side with the huge increase in elevation during this hike on the way in and way out. So worth it!!!

Still pretty snowy towards the top of 420 peak. Lackawaxen Lake was surrounded by snow so I decided to head towards bloods instead.

I highly suggest this route- I started at Guardsman's Pass saddle to park and then hiked up Clayton's peak-pretty rocky and very steep but short and the peak views are amazing then you keep hiking straight to go down the other side to Lackawaxen Lake then you can back track a little bit and instead of going back up the way you came there's a trail that is off to the right- keep going to Blood's Lake to make it a loop back up to Guardsman's Pass parking lot. I brought my dog and set up my hammock at Lackawaxen and then jumped in at Bloods Lake which also has a rope swing and its a popular watering hole in the summer. Very fun day!

Less of a zoo than Blood Lake and more scenic in the bowl under Clayton peak. You can access it via peak 10420 and dropping down, or just continuing past bloods lake.

This is one of the few trails that dogs are allowed on in Big Cottonwood Canyon. This is an off-leash dog trail. There is a parking lot right by the trail head. The trail starts by the large sign that says "Park City" on it, which is past the porta potties. It's the only place on the trail that has poop bags, so if you don't have any on you, stock up now. You'll have to carry any used bags back to the parking lot because there isn't anywhere to dispose of them along the trail.

The first lake you encounter is Bloods Lake. If you go further, then you'll encounter Lackawaxen Lake.

About half of the trail leading to Lake Bloods is downhill, so getting back is a lot harder than getting there.

I had a really good time on this hike with my dogs. We went mid morning on a Thursday and only saw 2 other dogs and a few people.

This is a great hike to a beautiful lake that probably isn't visited often because of the degree of difficulty if you choose the route over and past peak 10420. You can also get to LL if you hike into Bloods Lake and go up the hill on the far side and then follow the power line to the right. Hiking over the boulder field close to the lake is a high point as well as the views when you get there. For those going the peak 10420 route, you may be able to bag Clayton Peak, as it is right in front of you before hanging a left down a steep slope to Lake Lackawaxen.

We started up the saddle to 10,420 peak, it's very steep, but with plenty of shade to catch your breath. We intended to go to Lackawaxen lake but could not determine which way to go at the first fork. The only reason I gave this hike 4 out of 5 stars is because there are no trail signs or markers of any kind. We asked other hikers along the way and nobody knew which way to Lackawaxen lake. We did come to two trail forks, and I realize now the first fork after you descend the peak, if you stay right you will reach the lake not far after that, but it's up another peak and you can't see the lake from the fork. We stayed left and followed the power lines north (down) to bloods lake. Again, there was a fork in the trail right before bloods, unmarked and we stayed left. We got lucky and made the right choice. Next time I will know to take the first fork right to reach Lackawaxen. Hope this helps!

Sunday, August 13, 2017

We hiked up the ridge to reach lackawaxen then passed bloods lake on our way out. I was surprised the trail described here, which is the ridge, was rated as moderate. I definitely think it should be rated hard. The trail is very steep with loose rock the majority of the way. Beautiful views and the lake is great.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Beautiful mountaintop view and a perfect lake at the end. Definitely worth the climb.
Unfortunately, some dog owners are not responsible enough to clean up after their fuzzy friends, and we saw many of their contributions around the otherwise pristine lake.
Maybe dogs should be restricted to Bloods Lake, which is a circus of kids and dogs anyway.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Lackawaxen was so refreshing after passing Bloods. We saw 2 other hikers up there and they were on the other side of the lake. The hike out to Guardsmans trail was steep, but it is a short climb to the ridge. There is still snow in the shadows and a bit muddy in some places by the lake. Such a pretty setting.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Went to Lackawaxen Lake today. It's a steep climb to get to the base of Peak 420 and fairly steep on the other side down to the lake. But the lake itself was beautiful - quiet and peaceful. The same can't be said for Blood's Lake, which we passed on the way out. It was a big party: coolers, rafts in the water, even grills. If you're looking for solitude go to Lackawaxen. If you're looking for a party, go to Blood's.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

This is my favorite local hike. It has the best of everything, a beautiful 360 view, wildflowers, lakes surrounded by boulders and grassy meadows. It's not too far of a hike and has a pretty good climb at the beginning, just enough to make you feel like you got a decent workout in. The way back is mostly downhill if you head north east towards Bloods Lake instead of going back up peak 420. I would suggest beginning by going up 420 peak the down to Lackawaxen then Bloods and out. It's around 5 miles total. Dogs are also allowed which is awesome!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Pretty dangerous hike as you are on the edge of a cliff.

Friday, September 09, 2016

Lovely hike. It was Labor day, and incredibly busy, but so was every other trailhead in Big Cottonwood, and 90% of the people were headed down to Bloods lake. No mosquitoes noted today. The trail is very steep, although we stayed on the ridge up and over the little peaklet at about 0.5 mi, and coming down that was probably the steepest part (note the the trail as marked goes around the peaklet, but this means you are on the SLC side of the divide and sometimes people will get after you for having a dog). I ran up Clayton peak while my family continued down from the saddle at about 0.75 mi and continued S to Lake Lackawaxen, where I met them. We had a lovely lunch there, then doubled back on the lower trail to pass Blood's lake on the way back to the trailhead. There were plenty of people on the trail, but not really crowded expect the little section between Bloods and the trailhead. I would highly encourage making the trip over to lackawaxen. Although the ridge trail gains a lot more elevation, it gives you wonderful views both directions. The lower trail was often shaded and very nice. Oh, and given cooler temps the last few days, no more mosquitoes!

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Beautiful country. Lots of mosquitos. Will definitely return with my dog!

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Lots of mosquitos so bring your spray but totally worth it. Go up over 10420 and the after you visit lackwaxsen you can loop down to blood lake of you mostly stay left. It can get a bit confusing and I wish there were trail signs! You can bring your dog which is way cool.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

loads of people go to blood lake. keep going up the mountain and you might have this lake to yourself.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

So. Many. Mosquitos.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Beautiful

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Loved this trail, had enough open spaces for my beagle to run and play while still having a point a to point b trail for me. She wasn't fond of crossing boulder field but cause I'm a pushover, I carried my beagle across to get to the lake (hahaha)
I am from Salt Lake Valley and I have to drive through Big Cottonwood Canyon to get to the other side, this merited me a lot of dirty looks but no one stopped me for it. Just don't stop with your dog in the cottonwood canyons.

Saturday, September 05, 2015

Took the long way to this one: Peak 10420, Clayton Peak, and then dropped down to the drainage and to Lackawaxen. This is a beautiful lake. I've been to it twice now and didn't see one person anywhere near the lake. Not a big one but what it lacks in size it makes up for in solitude, quiet and beautiful surroundings. There are a few good spots around the lake for tents. Definitely worth the trek up and over 10420. I always circle around to Bloods Lake on the way back. Much nicer going back that way than back up and over 10420.

Monday, August 31, 2015

Great workout trail as it's ups ups ups n downs. Nice views and hard drops down into the lakes. Will test the stout of heart.