Kolob Arch via La Verkin Creek Trail

Kolob Arch via La Verkin Creek Trail is a 15.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cedar City, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 15.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,781 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail begins at Lee Pass and passes by the open finger canyons of the near-by cliffs as it travels along Timber Creek. After coming around the corner and within view of La Verkin Creek, the trail descends the slope down to the creek bottom on a hard packed trail. Once on the creek bed, the trail heads up stream offering amazing views of the surrounding cliffs. The trail is 7 miles from Lee Pass to Kolob Arch, one of the main destinations of the route and possibly the nations largest free-standing arch. From there you can continue up canyon to Beartrap Canyon and Willis Canyon to extend your trip or offer day hiking options. This is a great area to spend a few days. This trail is best in the spring, summer and fall. The trail typically has snow in the winter that can remain until early spring. Camping is in designated sites only and is available for reservations online or on a walk-up basis. Their are 13 backpack camps along the trail

Awesome trail, spent the night at campsite 9. Bug pressure by the creek. Last 2 miles are pretty hard if you’re carrying anything heavier than a day pack. Definitely would do again, especially as part of the Zion thru hike.

One of my very favorite hikes! This is for the hiker that doesn't want to go straight up a mountain but would still like a challenging course. This route is beautiful with woods, creeks, swim holes, open fields, nice camping spots, and gorgeous views!

Did this hike in mid-June. It was a beautiful, quiet hike with only a few other people on the trail, but it was much more strenuous than expected. With a high of 93 that day and no shade in some parts, we went slow and stopped often, and in all it took about 7.5 hours (not including hanging out in the river for a while.) Bring twice as much water as you think you need and bug spray. The most exciting part is the last mile before the arch. About 100 ft past the sign at the end of the trail, you can climb a little and get a great view

As a day hike, I'm rating this lower than most would expect. But it's simply a matter of the distance and time vs view of the arch. The hike itself is classic beautiful upper Zion fare. But as a hike to see an arch, the standard is different, especially given the commitment needed and not being terribly close to the arch. As an overnight, to experience upper Zion, this does have appeal.

This hike was good, but definitely more than we bargained for. Very steep (especially rough coming back), very long, the river was almost completely dried up, and we turned around after a few miles. If you want a really long hike, this is a good one.

We made this a 2 night, 3 day trip from 6/21-6/23. We absolutely loved it! Trail is incredibly easy to follow. We hiked to campsite 6 only the first day; the hike there was downhill the first bit, then relatively flat, and then downward near the end. Look up! The views during the hike were awesome. Campsite 6 was perfect and the best IMO. It was across the creek and the campsite was pretty desolate. It was totally sand so the sleeping was not bad at all. To get to the campsite, be prepared to cross the creek barefoot or with waterproof shoes like Keens/Chacos (doable either way). We hiked to the arch on the 2nd day; arch was mehh but the hike to it was pretty cool, had to duck under some trees and scramble up some rocks, so much easier with a lighter small pack. Then we just relaxed by the water the rest of the day, and enjoyed nature. Definitely bring extra bug spray. Hike out was fine on the flat parts but the steep parts were rough. Bring lots of water/filtering system. All in all, highly recommend as weather allows. We were still in the 70s for the entire trip so it was scorching temps yet. Also, we were able to get a walk-in permit (because we wanted to camp) the day just before the trip--call the park a few days before your trip to see what your chances are of getting a permit if you decide to not reserve a campsite ahead of time.

Great hike all around. Would definitely do this again. Besides the beginning/end, it's relatively flat with gorgeous views the entire way. The arch was a nice feature but the whole journey was just breathtaking. We also had perfect weather (cool, partly cloudy) and finished the trek in five and a half hours, going at pretty good pace and just stopping for snacks at the junction for the arch trail before heading back. The climb at the end wasn't too bad but we had been psyching ourselves up for it. Much better views on this journey than the scenic viewpoint father down the road.

Scenic, remote and mostly private. Trail was hard packed dirt with plenty of stream crossings. Took me 5 hours round trip. Pack light but take plenty of water, and start early morning to avoid the heat.

Did this as an overnight hike with my husband. The way down wasn’t too bad with great views. The arch was hard to get to and required ducking under trees and scrambling up rocks. We went a little further than the sign said (small trail beyond the main one) and got a perfect view of the arch. Our campsite was 9 across the creek which is flowing fast and very high right now. We weren’t able to cross and ended up camping out in 8 because luckily no one showed. 8 is the best site I saw imo. The way back up and out was brutal with all our gear. We are 30 and in shape and it was strenuous. Probably a one and done hike for us.

Nice day trail. We briskly hiked the first half of the hike roughly 6-7 miles to the arch to gauge how long it would take us. Took about 3 hours or so to get to the arch. Couldn’t quite get as close as we would have liked but the whole trip in itself was beautiful. The last home stretch is rough being it’s all uphill. So be prepared for the worst at the end of the trip. Other than that it had plenty of nice stops for lunch if you wanted.

Hiking in wasn’t so bad. We started in at 7 am. We made it within 0.2 miles of the arch and couldn’t go any further due to fallen rocks and trees. On the way back, we encountered hail, rain, and snow and the creeks were rising quickly. We had to wade in ankle deep water at some creeks because the rock paths were no longer visible. The last mile out is tough due to the elevation. Overall, great day hike if the weather would have cooperated.

I would highly recommend this trail to anyone who wants to do a longer and quieter hike in Zion! Absolutely beautiful views of the canyon the majority of the hike if you take the time to look up from where you are walking. Thankfully, we did not run into any of the mud problems others had, but full sunshine and little shade can make the uphill portion at the end seem a lot longer than it actually is. That being said, bring lots and lots of water! I ended up drinking around 3 liters of water during the durations of my hike and would have drank more if I brought it. All in all it was a wonderful hike :)

15 miles round trip. Nice change of scenery along the way. We ate lunch on the red rocks near the arch. The last 2 miles on the way back are uphill. Not much traffic along the way except for a few backpackers. Took us about 6.5 hours.

excellent! lots of elevation change. last 0.5 to Kolob Arch is an obstacle course. so many creek crossings, great too cool off on the way back

We went about halfway to Kolob Arch....great hike, but it’s a killer coming back...dang stairs.....Do not do in the afternoon...gets very hot..beautiful area tho. Eat at Cafe Y in Leeds when you get back....you won’t regret it!!

I just hiked from Lee Pass through to the Canyon with a couple of friends of mine. We took Le Verkin to Hop Valley. Le Verkin is beautiful. Red sand and tall canyon walls, deep green brush, Juniper, Pinon, Ponderosa, and Jeffrey pines. The hike was almost all down hill or flat. There was lots of water. All the springs marked on the National Geographic map were flowing. Good temperatures. 70's during the day, high 40's too low 50's at night. The Le Verkin river was knee high and moving with some pace. If you're going to campsite 10 or anything beyond that point, you have to cross the river at least once. We didn't have any trouble, but it takes a minute to find the right spot. Water is very cold, but refreshing. We camped at site 11, which was right next to the river under a Jeffrey Pine (you can tell because the bark smells like butterscotch and sugar cookies). There were mosquitos at dusk and dawn, I'm assuming because of all the fresh water. Bug bites were almost unnoticeable. This is a great hike. Recommend camping and exploring the next day before heading back or continuing on. Although it doesn't get as much love, I thought the Hop Valley trail was exceptional.

Completed on 4/23/19. Beautiful views throughout the entire hike. Trails were bone dry leading in, but unexpected thunderstorms loomed overhead once I hit the Kolob Arch, so I encountered the same muddy return another review mentioned for the last mile or so. Somehow I only got drizzled on on the other side of the canyon, but those coming in from the trailhead said they were hailed on! Expect the unexpected out here and conditions can change quickly. I would’ve liked a longer break, but due to the threat of lightning, I took a shorter stop than I would’ve preferred and the whole thing took me 5.5 hours. Note that the sign towards the arch (last 0.5 mile) says the trail is closed and you’ll have to climb over and under some down trees, but it’s not bad. Normally I heed signs, but this trail was doable and safe. Very achy by the end considering I did around 10 miles the day before, but happily exhausted! I was also glad to find much needed solitude since the main western part of Zion was quite busy and crowded.

Nice day hike that offers great views of the mountains as you walk alongside small creeks and a beautiful river.

Monumental! Must-see!!

This was a long hike (we clocked in at 15 miles and 2000ft elevation round trip) and overall I would recommend looking at other hikes in Zion if you are looking for a day hike. If you are camping overnight then it is likely a great choice as there are many spots along the river with great views of the canyon. As other reviewers mentioned the arch is easily missed as you have to look up to the top of the canyon to see it (it does not start at ground level).

The last mile returning to the car sucked. Weather was perfect, but since it rained the day before, it was pretty muddy. Creek crossings were easy today. Left car at 8am. Came across one other person until the Kolob Arch spur, then about 20 while on the spur. Came across 30-ish on the return to the car. Glad to check this trail off the to-do list. Beautiful canyon.

The beginning and end of the trial are very fun - hopping over the river and going up/down rocks. The middle is very flat, but pretty as you walk along a river.

great trail did 3 days and 2 nights on the trail. used campsites 7 and 1. very peaceful and relaxing. according to my garmin inreach explorer+ last uphill is 1 mile long and climbs 1000 foot in that mile. very strenuous with a 50 pound pack. plenty of water sources with a good water filter and no dry campsite that I saw. campsite 1 is 2.3 miles from the trail head and is tucked far enough off the trail to be very quiet.