New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

King's Peak via Henry's Fork Trail

King's Peak Utah Henry's Fork Trail is a 26.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Altonah, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 26.8 miles Elevation Gain: 5,118 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail starts at the Henrys Fork trailhead and goes past Dollar, near Henrys Fork Lake and over Gunsight Pass (11,891 feet). Then drops down into the Upper Painter Basin about 2 miles to a trail junction. Turn right and climb 3.5 miles to Anderson Pass (12,800 feet) before climbing to Anderson Pass. From there, turn south and climb the north ridge of Kings Peak 1.5 miles to the summit. This portion is off-trail and has a lot of boulder hopping to the summit which has a beautiful view. Most hikers camp at the lakes at the Upper end of Henrys Fork Basin.

We took horses and it was pretty hard due to how many rocks there were. It was beautiful and we made it 3/4 of the way up before there was to much snow and we couldn’t go on with the horses. We did the trail in 1 very long day.

Climbed in August, quite a long one, Rrived in the evening and made it about 5 miles in and camped. Made a not so early start via gunsight pass. some time can be saved by as scramble up the rocks to the right, there are a few small trails. Mostly rock hopping all the way to the summit but one of the best of the state highpoints. Be prepared with enough food water clothing and shelter. It might be sunny on the trail but it will be freezing cold at the summit, expect snow year-round.

Knocked this trail out in August 19 and it was amazing. The hike in was about 10 miles to around dollar lake. Plenty of place to camp there as well. There were some moose and a buck that flexed on me a little bit, but backed off when I took a few steps back. There are a TON of mosquitoes!!! Enjoy the elevation gain and the fishing, if you have the chance.

2 night backpack at Dollar Lake, with 9/26 Summit. Saw 3 folks all day on the summit hike. Elk in Painters Basin. Deer around Dollar lake. The hike was good, especially the expansive views past the crossing, EXCEPT it should not be understated that this is a VERY ROCKY trail and the last 3/4 mile from Anderson pass to the summit is a class 2 scramble - there is no trail. at 13000' and nearly 900' of gain this portion was very challenging. For me, it was not the distance that make this a hard hike but the rough trails and elevation. Maybe it was my California blood and experience on well worn trails there. Nonetheless was excellent trip.

Hiked King’s Peak out and back in one day from TH (9/21) in 12 hours. Temps are cooling off, as low as the teens in some spots before the sun came up and especially chilly by the water, but zero bugs. Parking lot was full over the weekend with backpackers coming and going, but CG still had plenty of spaces. Plenty of water for filtering along the trail, although it’s starting to get frosty and freeze at the edges of some small ponds. Bring wood glue if you’re heading up, as the poor sign is falling apart. Someone’s duct tape has worn out or gotten too cold to keep it together. Great scramble to get to the summit and epic views from the peak. Dusting of snow up high. Fairly rocky trails. Moose spotting. GPS devices tracked closer to 30-31 miles, as other reviewers have stated. South of Gunsight we lost the right fork in the trail and had to backtrack a little, but AllTrails quickly got us on the right track. Several hikers we ran into took the rocky shortcut south of Gunsight and said it wasn’t worth it—took more time than the regular trail.

We packed in for 2 days camped below gun sight pass little stream for water on right side before going up pass very wiindy all days. Snowed when coming off peak. We went long route very gradual and pretty On other side of the pass there is plenty of water I say this because you don’t need to carry a bunch Trail pretty rocky and getting cold at night

My friend and I did this in two days summiting yesterday 9/15 around 4:30pm. I just wanted to write a little in depth about the hike because I felt like I didn’t know what fully to expect. We started at 7:15am at the trailhead. We missed dollar lake because it’s not right on the path.. you have to look for it to the left. We made it to Henry fork lake 8 miles in and dropped our camping gear and just took essentials to the top. Not sure everyone thinks of that so bring a small pack so you’re not bringing everything up! It was a short walk to the bottom of the gunsight scramble. Very easy getting up. The shortcut people talk about is the ridge on your right. My friend that I went with said it’s not worth it if you’re not ready to scramble a lot before summiting. So we took the trail into the valley and around the back. About 3.5 miles from the top of gunsight to the bottom of the steep scramble. Beautiful views. We stopped at the stream to fill up on water and kept going into Anderson’s. When you get to the scramble that you start to go vertically you’re 1.1 miles to the top. Follow the ridge line. The trail comes and goes, the snow still had some footprints so that was nice to follow. Just keep traversing and climbing. You can look out over the right and see beautiful sweeping views. Once you start getting further up towards a small plateau you see the large rock that’s split in half that looks like two towers. The peak is right beyond that. After we summited and started down we decided to not follow the ridge and take the back face down and just scrambled the whole way. Probably cut 3/4-1 mile off the route. Easy just be cautious. We hiked back and camped at Henry’s and set up during nightfall. We hiked the 8 miles out this morning in about 3 hours. Looking back now I can see how people do it in 1 day which I thought was crazy, but now I see it’s doable. Start way early. Pack super light. But it can be done. The trail never goes off course, from trailhead to summit you can’t go wrong. There are cairns everywhere. This hike was super rewarding and although it was long, it was not super hard terrain. I’m a moderate hiker but not an extreme one by any means. Do your research for sure especially if no one in your party has gone, but it’s such a rewarding hike! Cheers!

We summitted on Friday 9/13 along with I think just 5 other people that day. I feared the snow may have been too much but the day before and the day we summitted were warm enough to melt most off. Saturday was going to be warmer still. Based on my all trails tracking, this is 30+ miles RT if you base camp at Dollar Lake. I thought I remembered a short cut from Gunsight pass but in trying to take it we got into a boulder field mess and wasted a lot of time and energy before dropping down to the trail on All Trails. So my advice is unless you know exactly how to take it, don't but don't go all the way down into Painter's Basin either (did that the first time we hiked it). Just stay to the right when the trail splits after going down the backside of Gunsight pass. The moon right now is spectacular - good thing as we were 2+ hours in the dark coming back.

Great hike! Had some snow to deal with from Anderson’s pass to the summit but it should be gone today. We came up through bear lake and camped near Henry’s Lake. Tons of Moose. Four bulls and two cows were grazing next to our camp.

Summited on 9/13, just after some fresh snow fall. Wow! Beautiful hike. The canyon, surrounded by mountains framing King's Peak, is breathtaking. The hike itself is pretty easy but until the final two miles (or so), when things get steep and you're moving through rocks/boulders rather than trail (and at high altitude). Amazing panoramic from the peak; the views are worth the distance and work!

We covered the first 10 miles faster than we thought and the weather was great (9/7), so we decided to summit that same day. Water and bugs were not a problem. It started getting steep going up to Gunsight Pass, quite a few boulders. At the top of the pass is where you have the option to stay on the main trail, losing elevation and coming back up, mouth to mention it being a longer but easier trail. We took the short cut, angling up and out to get over more boulders that were a littler more difficult than getting up the pass but not nearly as hard as climbing the boulders on Kings itself. I felt it was better than other boulder areas. One you get to the top boulder scree (should be about 10-15 minute, get to an elevation about 12,400 and follow the ridge around to the south, then west. You will see many cairns. Once you can see the main trail hugging the base of Kings Peak you can aim for where it turns up toward Andersen Pass. I think we shaved off 2 miles and a good chunk of time. After Anderson Pass, there's not much of a trail. The western side has quite a few cliffs so if you want you can hug the left side of the ridge up to the top. Going back you can see where you cut across and can make an angular line to head down and to the left to take the shortcut again. It rained that night and the next day, which is when we were originally planning on submitting so it's good we did the day before. Took camp down in cold rain and hiked back from Dollar Lake to the trailhead in 2.5 hours. Inn the rain the trails turn to streams so we got wet. Overall Herat hike butt off break it up into more days and Howe weather cooperates.

We did this hike in a single day on 9/14. The weather was perfect and conditions great with just a few muddy/wet spots on the trail and no bugs. We did the short cut between Gun Sight Pass and Anderson Pass, while it saved mileage, I don't think it saved us much time because most of it was a scramble (we left Gun Sight a few minutes after a man going the long way and got to the base of King's Peak at the same time). The actual summit bid of King's Peak is a complete scramble with no trail. We read a lot of reviews and felt we knew what to expect, but it was still shocking how strenuous the mix of scramble and altitude was. We actually found the descent from the peak to be the most stressful part of the hike-many of the rocks are loose and you can hear the running water from snow melt running beneath them. On the way back, we opted to take the full trail through Painter's Basin, mostly because we didn't want any more scrambling. We found it to be beautiful and not too strenuous, though going down and then back up in elevation was mentally challenging. The descent from Gun Sight to Henry’s Fork was a nice downhill grade and we made good time even on tired legs. We returned to Henry's Fork about 14 hours after we began. Though AllTrails says it is a 26.8 mile hike, we had three separate GPS devices record closer to 31 miles which added at least an hour to the hike.

Camped at Dollar Lake 9/2/2019, summited King's Peak on 9/3/2019, back home to SLC on the 4th. Beautiful views, weather wasn't that cold, and the bugs were minimal. Great hike!

Day hiked this starting at 6am and returning to the Henry Fork Trailhead by 8pm. I was in awe of the scenery and open vistas all along the way. Easy grade for the first 8 miles and then the fun really starts :) If you love a good scramble. I could have shaved a few hours off but took my time swimming at Dollar Lake and enjoying the summit on a clear afternoon. On the descent I went down “Devil’s Chute”, what they’ve named the rock field shortcut. And for good reason. Not the most graceful thing I’ve ever done. The anxiety going down was not worth the time tradeoff in my opinion. Next time I will backpack in and camp so I can spend more time in such a beautiful setting.

What a great hike! I started at about 5:00 am and it was pretty chilly. According to the two different apps I had running on my phone the hike was a little over 30 miles instead of 26.8. There is a shortcut if you take a right at the big cairn at the top of Gunsight Pass. I wouldn’t recommend taking it. The shortcut is very rocky, not well marked, and the ugliest part of the hike. Just sticking to the trail was much better. Also, there were no bugs at all.

Camped at Dollar Lake the first night and summited the second day. We took the rock slide chute just below Anderson Pass and although quite difficult it took hours off of our hike! It took just over 3 hours from Dollar Lake to the summit that way (gotta be in good shape!). The mosquitos were anundant but if you have good deet and proper clothing it's nothing to be too concerned about. Amazing experience!