King's Peak Utah Henry's Fork Trail

King's Peak Utah Henry's Fork Trail is a 27.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mountain View, Utah that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

This trail starts at the Henrys Fork trailhead and goes past Dollar, near Henrys Fork Lake and over Gunsight Pass (11,891 feet). Then drops down into the Upper Painter Basin about 2 miles to a trail junction. Turn right and climb 3.5 miles to Anderson Pass (12,800 feet) before climbing to Anderson Pass. From there, turn south and climb the north ridge of Kings Peak 1.5 miles to the summit. This portion is off-trail and has a lot of boulder hopping to the summit which has a beautiful view. Most hikers camp at the lakes at the Upper end of Henrys Fork Basin

Wonderful hike! This starts out as a gentle uphill through pine and aspen woods along Henry's Fork. Multiple small stream crossings this time of year are easily passed. Gunsight Pass is the first steep climb. On the way down from the pass, the largest cairns take you down into the valley below before heading up to Anderson Pass. If you want to do the route highlighted here, stay closer to the mountain after crossing Gunsight. I was able to do the 29mi (added 0.9mi each way) out and back in a little over 11hrs with a few breaks for fueling and taking in the sights. I also enjoyed the perfect weather.

Absolutely spectacular... we were extremely lucky and had perfect weather, clear sky, no wind, no bugs. One of the most beautiful places! Totally worth it... take your time and enjoy.

We started Wednesday early morning hike to the summit Thursday morning. Absolutely amazing experience. Super challenging but worth it. I will do it again.

Beautiful area, take your time and make it a 2-3 day trip. Don't forget your flies!!!

I did a one day out-and-back with a group of 5, started at 5am and got back at 9pm, that being said a few in our group were pretty worn out, so the pace coming down was slower. this hike is challenging for one day, and although someone told us that the first 10 miles were flat, that wasn't quite the case. the last two or three miles are very steep, and little to no trail is present. that being said, the summit was worth all the hard effort! Simply an amazing view! if I were to ever do this again, I would hike in about 8 miles and camp, and then summit the next day. My only true complaint is that there are like NO SIGNS! unless you have a gps, you have no idea how far you've gone, or how much is left. NOTE: A scout died up there the weekend we went due to elevation sickness, so if you feel nauseated, head back to lower elevation right away! Also, don't mess around with the storms near the summit; play it safe and live to hike another day. The storms were intense on our way down! Oh, and one more thing: there were some amazing views, but plenty of boring terrain later on with little to no shade, so come prepared.

This hike was absolutely worth it but I think knowing a few things ahead of time would have helped my overall experience. Be prepared for some serious bolder scrambling towards the end of the hike!! I anticipated about a half mile of this and it was more like a mile if not more. If you don't do well with heights this will slow you way down. I'm very grateful there were plenty of other people hiking it that day or we would have had no idea where we were going. Once on the ridge line it's really not clear where to go. The cairns are very few and far between. Also, bring plenty of water!! We each had a liter on us along with a filter to fill up but once you start up the ridge the opportunity for water isn't there. And as other have said, bring sunscreen when you summit! We applied first thing in the morning but the hike took longer than we anticipated and I got fried! We camped at Dollar Lake which was beautiful, saw plenty of wildlife and had spectacular views from King's Peak thanks to the beautiful weather we had! Overall it lived up to my expectations for being on my bucket list for so long!

We started from the trailhead at 7:45pm Friday night and returned to the car by 4:10pm Saturday afternoon. Hiked very fast, but it was doable for my friend and I. Tip for driving there: either download a map for offline use, or if you're using printed directions then watch your odometer to know when to turn. We made a a couple wrong turns that put us back an hour from starting the hike. The hike in to Dollar Lake is fairly flat--nothing too strenuous, and we backpacked in two hours that first night. Set up camp in some trees by 10pm and were up again at 6am to start hiking at 7am. Got off the path and climbed up the shoot. Very difficult, but some others hikers said it cut the distance from the vally to the peak in half. Just be very careful climbing over all the boulders. Made it to the peak at 10:30am (3hr moving time) and back down our camp by 1:30 (2.5hr moving time). View from the peak was amazing! Well worth the effort. Also saw moose, dear, sheep, groundhogs, horses, and a LLAMA along the way. Weather was perfect; warm, but not hot, and the peak is quite breezy and cool. That said, we got pretty sunburnt, so still be sure to cover up. As for water, I kept two liters on me. Filtered and refilled them in the morning and they lasted the rest of the day, but probably could have used 3L. Lots of people, but no roads, power lines, or buildings in sight. Beautiful hike, and I'd definitely come back and take more time to explore the other features of the area.

We loved this hike, but we were also well prepared, which is part of why it was so enjoyable. A couple things I would recommend to adequately prepare:
-plan for rain (it is the high Uintas afterall)
-bring lots of bug spray
-bring sunscreen (the sun exposure is deceiving because it's not very hot, but the elevation will cause most people to burn without protection)
-bring a water filtration method, there are plenty of opportunities to fill up
-take the peak slow, adjusting to the altitude is essential
-become familiar or make sure you're confident in your ability to climb and maneuver boulders as it is all you will be doing the last mile of the summit

Did this over 3 days. We got lucky and the weather was beautiful!! Bug spray is definitely a must. Camped near Dollar Lake, plenty of water. Fishing was good in the stream but not in the lake. We left camp at 5am to make sure we were at Summit and down before noon. The rock cairns were helpful to stay on trail. Make sure and take water for Summit as moving water availability is scarce after Gunsight pass. Pack a jacket as the top is cold and windy, and gloves may be helpful for boulder hopping and hand warmth. The area was beautiful and the views were breathtaking. Happy to say we made it!!