King's Peak Utah Henry's Fork Trail

King's Peak Utah Henry's Fork Trail is a 27.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mountain View, Utah that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

This trail starts at the Henrys Fork trailhead and goes past Dollar, near Henrys Fork Lake and over Gunsight Pass (11,891 feet). Then drops down into the Upper Painter Basin about 2 miles to a trail junction. Turn right and climb 3.5 miles to Anderson Pass (12,800 feet) before climbing to Anderson Pass. From there, turn south and climb the north ridge of Kings Peak 1.5 miles to the summit. This portion is off-trail and has a lot of boulder hopping to the summit which has a beautiful view. Most hikers camp at the lakes at the Upper end of Henrys Fork Basin

Awesome but challenging trip! Took the advice of others and got as close to Gunsight Pass the first day as we could. We left the next morning at about 10:30 am but would recommend leaving no later than that because by the time we got up to King's Peak, took a twenty minute rest and hiked all the way back to camp it was 8 pm and the sun was going down quickly. As others have said, the weather up there is unpredictable and we hiked the first day completely in the rain(9 miles is where we stopped) but got lucky and were able to summit with clear skies. No ice axes or anything like that is necessary right now as of 7/23. Bring a water filter along with you and some good bug spray and/or treat your clothing because the mosquitoes are vicious. Our Corgi was able to do this entire hike with only a little help scrambling the bigger boulders so this trail is dog friendly all the way to the sunmit for a healthy dog! The trail maps will tell you to go back down the backside of Gunsight Pass and around the corner and then back up but we took a shortcut at the top of the pass by veering left and climbing the rocks up. Plenty of piles of rocks are built up to show you the way. We estimated that the shortcut saved us an hour and a half each way.

This hike was fantastic. My only gripe was the viscous thunderstorms. We did it in two days, and camped below Gunsight pass. This absolutely wasn't the hardest hike I've ever done, but the length of the hike combined with the weight of my pack definitely made it pretty tough. I'd absolutely do this again. The view from the top of Kings is incredible!

Incredible trip. We camped about a mile past Dollar lake, within sight of Gunsight pass.

Started hiking from our camp @ 5AM on 7-16-17, clear skies all the way through Painter's basin and up to the summit.

Reached the summit @ 9:30AM. Clouds started forming on our way down, started sprinkling as we were headed back into Painter's basin.

By the time we got back to Gunsight pass about 2 hours later the rain got heavier. We barely made it back to our tents @ 2 PM as the lightning and heavy rain passed right over us. Rain continued for about 2 hours. The sun came out for about an hour, we quickly packed and started hiking out. Rain resumed and continued until we reached the trailhead at 830 PM.

Moral of the story, if you are not a fast hiker, camp as close to the pass as you can and leave for the summit as early as possible. The weather is wildly unpredictable and storms come in fast. If there is even a hint of storm clouds nearby I would not summit.

We could have saved time with one of the shortcut trails but the boulder scrambles seemed way too risky.

Tried to summit on Saturday (7/15/17) but had to turn back 20 minutes from the top because of lightning. we had clear skies all morning but got pounded in the afternoon. trail was clear and well marked, 3 short snow field crossings (ice ax and crampons not necessary now) Last mile from Anderson pass is pretty brutal.
Camped at Henry's fork lake, 31 miles round trip, had the lake to ourselves (except one moose) we spent 3 days so we could fish but it can be done in two, if that's what you're going for i would suggest getting over Gunsight pass to camp the first night to make your summit trip shorter. BUG SPRAY is an absolute must, mosquitoes are terrible right now @anita Krebs @Tony Pizza hope this helps

This is the most amazing hike I've done. The trail is flat and easy for the majority of the distance, but be prepared for steeper climbing as you approach the summit. As of two weeks ago, ice axes were an absolute necessity. Bring a water filter and plenty of food. The round trip was just over 33 miles for us, because we hiked through the basin to avoid heavy snow. It can be done as one long day hike, but doing it as a backpacking trip would allow you more time to enjoy the lakes and terrain along the way.

Can anyone tell me if there is snow and ice on the route? Are crampons and ice axes needed this time of year? @bob hammilton @chelsea gallant; how were the storms? I saw that lightening was forecasted last weekend? Love to hear your thoughts.

My boys and I would like to make this hike around the 1st of August. We are not from the area so I have a couple of questions if someone is willing to answer. it says 27.1 miles. Is that round trip or one way.
Can we do this in two days? i.e. hike in, camp overnight, next day reach the summit and hike out?
Are the trails easily marked or are we at risk of getting lost?
if you've done this in two days, what kind of timing/schedule are we looking at?

I hiked this peak yesterday as part of the Highline Trail and hiked out of Henry's Fork. I've done this hike in the past as well. The trail itself is fairly easy. The part that's hard is hiking up the peak and coming down the peak is difficult. Mosquitoes are the size of flies so consider a hat with a net. No joke.

DO NOT FORGET BUGSPRAY!!!!!!! Other than that, it is an amazing hike. Definitely suggest doing it over a course of 3 days so you can camp after summiting instead of having to rush down. I didn't think it was hard, just really long.

The hike is definitely challenging specially the last miles to the top but totally worth it. Breathtaking scenery, rich in flora and fauna.

If you are in for a really long day, this can be a rewarding out and back day. Watch for wildlife (we ran into a mother moose and her calves). Probably two-thirds of the total distance can be jogged, but once you hit Anderson Pass running is nearly impossible, particularly the last couple of miles which are a boulder field.

The most common way to try this route is over 3 days, with a base camp in the Henry's Fork basin, likely near Dollar Lake. Fishing is good in the streams (that's where I focused), but don't expect anything very big. It's a breathtaking trek that I plan to do again.

Great backpacking trail

i may have taken a different route but it was just as fun, if not better. I hiked in a fairly large group on a 5 day round trip, totalling just over 60 miles. This is a unique hike that you will remember forever. A must go for someone teained enough. It is difficult, but fairly flat up until the summit, which is a large boulder crawl.