For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

King's Peak Utah Henry's Fork Trail is a 26.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Altonah, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 26.8 mi Elevation gain 5,118 ft Route type Out & Back

Facilities
Contact
Tips
Getting There

This trail starts at the Henrys Fork trailhead and goes past Dollar, near Henrys Fork Lake and over Gunsight Pass (11,891 feet). Then drops down into the Upper Painter Basin about 2 miles to a trail junction. Turn right and climb 3.5 miles to Anderson Pass (12,800 feet) before climbing to Anderson Pass. From there, turn south and climb the north ridge of Kings Peak 1.5 miles to the summit. This portion is off-trail and has a lot of boulder hopping to the summit which has a beautiful view. Most hikers camp at the lakes at the Upper end of Henrys Fork Basin.

Parking for 50 vehicles, Toilets, campsites, corrals, and stock ramp. Water is available at the campground

Mountain View Ranger District, 321 Highway 414 PO Box 129 Mountain View WY 82939

Henry's Fork Trailhead Directions (These can be tricky - use my track as a destination): From I-80 drive south on State Route 414 for 6 miles to Mountain View, WY. 414 turns west through the town and becomes route 410 at the west end of town. Continue on 410 towards Robertson, WY for 6.7 miles to when the road turns west. At this point turn onto Uinta County road 283 (Forest Road 072) and continue south towards Grahams Reservoir and Bridger Lake for another 12 miles. At just over 12 miles turn onto Forest Road 17 and continue south 6.8 miles to Forest Road 077. Drive south on this road for another nearly 3 miles to turn right on the road to Henry's Fork Campground and the trailhead. No permits or fees to park here or to camp. There may be a sign in register. Make sure to sign in.

From Mountain View, take Highway 410 south about 6 miles to a junction. then take Road 017, a gravel road, south about 12 miles to a fork, The east road, road 077 heads south about 5 miles to Henrys Fork.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (298)
Photos (324)
Recordings (153)
Completed (752)
Meli D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
HikingRockyScramble
Jayadatta Narasipura
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
HikingGreat!

I did the hike with my son. Total of three days, camping near Dollar lake. Lot of the streams are dry near dollar lake. Plan accordingly. Absolutely beautiful place to spend three days.

Danny Moorman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
Backpacking

Had an amazing time hiking all around Henry’s Fork trail. Started Thursday morning and camped near Dollar Lake that night. Caught a brown trout at Dollar at sunset. Beautiful sunsets up there. Started up Gunsight around 7 and took Painters Basin for a scenic and safer route. Had great weather but had prepared for rain since last year we got soaking wet. I love how many lakes and other peaks are visible and close by the area! We went back down to camp for the night. Next morning we decided to cut across the valley to Henry’s Fork Lake and ran into 4 moose (2 cows and 2 calves) we sat silently and watched them move around the lake where one of the moms swam around for a while. All in all an absolutely beautiful trail and area. Bring extra shoes in case of rain

Barbalee Ackerman
RockyScramble

Beautiful views! Ran this trail 8/1/20. the first 10 or so miles are pretty runnable but it gets very rocky after gunsight pass. We took the shortcut to the right after gunsight pass on the way up and took the long way down. The climb to the top is nothing but rock and a bit sketchy. I took my black lab, she is very agile and in excellent shape and she made it no problem but we saw other pooches who couldn't summit so keep that in mind if you plan to bring your pup. My only complaint is the amount of people on the trail and at the peak. But it's a well known spot and people are getting outside more these days. This trail took us about 10.5 hours to complete with slow going hiking during the middle miles. The views were amazing and worth slowing down for!

Roger Kraft
Hiking

We completed this via the Highline Trail, which this app doesn’t seem to recognize. It was 78.6 miles through the Uintas and we did it in six days covering seven mountain passes including Kings Peak. If you just want to do Kings Peak, best to do it in two days.

Joseph Nygaard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
Backpacking

When you think of the highest peak in Utah, you definitely don't imagine what this hike is. It was pretty for backpacking, but the summit was very lackluster.

Brian Asher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
Hiking

I love hiking and wanted to attempt to do Kings in 1 day on July 25. I started at 3 45 am and made it to Dollar Lake as people were waking up around 6 30. I was on the summit by 8 30 taking the shortcut trail which wasn’t that hard and shaved off some distance. I proceeded to traverse to South Kings, Painter, and Trail Rider along the ridge. Great views and a doable traverse. From Trail Rider Peak I scrambled down to the basin and worked my way back to Gunsight Pass and followed the trail to Henry’s Fork TH. I feel like Kings is doable in a day for a good hiker as no part is really that challenging...it’s just a long hike. Adding 3 more summits along the ridge with Kings Peak added another 4 hours on to my day. Back at car at 6 pm. Didn’t run any part, only hiking. 31 miles RT. Strava link to route here: https://strava.app.link/1wSlIHuEu8

Troy Wardle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

7/22/2020 we camped at trail head to get early start next day to Dollar Lake. First day 7/23 was fairly easy. Alligator lake not marked so no need to look for that landmark. Good thing Daughter brought phone with map downloaded so we could find Dollar lake. Very beautiful area. Lots of people as well. 7/24 summited Kings Peak. Took shortcut at top of Gunsight pass. This is not for faint of heart as you traverse a very steep ridge. Once to top, you then have a field of rocks that you have to hopscotch over for a long way to find trail. I’m not good with balance due to lower artificial leg, so this took me awhile even with hiking poles. Then, the climb from Anderson pass to Kings peak is another very steep climb but all over boulders. Again, not for the faint of heart. There were a lot of people doing this hike as well as young kids. If you are like me, plan for a very long day. Due to my leg, we took the long trail back around back through gunsight valley. Probably added 2.5 miles but much safer for me and very beautiful valley. We did get some hail on top and on decent but managed. We spent about 13 hours hiking this day, but again I’m not normal hiker. Next day we packed up and hiked out. Glad to be back and say I have done it. I don’t plan to do the peak again, but the lower valley would be nice if there were not so many people. I’m a little concerned that this area is going to get overrun and lose some of the beauty. Overall, I’m glad I did this with my Daughter, Son and his friend.

Francesca H
Hiking

Summiting King’s has been on my to do list all summer - and I’m glad to have waited until my body has acclimated to higher elevations. I saw a few folks double over trying to summit and puddles of vomit on the way down. Listen to your body! We hiked in 8 miles Friday night and camped just past Dollar Lake (this section of the trail is easy/moderate). We summited Saturday for a total of 14 miles, and returned to base camp and then hiked out Sunday. We got caught in a VERY severe static/lightening storm while descending from the summit - my trekking poles were vibrating and everyone’s hair was standing straight up. We had checked all forecasts and intentionally left camp at 7am to summit before storms hit. I recommend leaving from Dollar Lake even earlier (4-5am) the storms that followed were intense and terrifying and there is nowhere to take cover until you rerun through gunsight pass, and every then cover is few and far between. Anyway - this isn’t for the faint of heart and make sure you are prepared for all weather even in your day pack to the summit. There’s plenty of water to pump the whole way including through painters basin and Anderson pass. & BURY YOUR TOILET PAPER! - all the way and compact the dirt on top of it - wind comes through and was blowing toilet paper all around the campsites.

Garrett Chesnut
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyOff trailRockyScramble

This is an intense trail and not for the faint of heart. However, you will see some amazing views that will leave you speechless. Just make sure you are prepared. I enjoyed this hike. We got rained on, hailed on, and snowed on. Which is expected. Plan for it to rain. It does everyday at about 2pm. We did it in three days. Great trial, and amazing views.

Ally Sargent
HikingBugsScramble

So there we were. Thinking we would hike King’s peak in 2 days. Hike to dollar lake (camp) was easy, the next day to the summit was another story. We hiked down from gunsight pass instead of scrambling upwards, (we think that’s a better way, takes the same amount of time and expends less energy). The hike from the saddle to the peak was not classified as hiking so much as a rock climbing scramble marathon. This makes the final summit much more time consuming than planned. Dog friendly? No. Dog possible? Yes. Probably only for athletic dogs. On the way down we slid down the chute instead hiking of the trail we took up and that was an experience - steep. We made it but ended up with some scrapes and bruises from falling a few times. The hike out from camp was pleasant terrain and not too bad until we were caught in a rain storm for the last 5 miles which seemed to drag on and on. Overall, beautiful trail, challenging, doable in 2 days but may be more enjoyable in 3.

Ryan Layton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
HikingScrambleSnow

Super fun, take the short cut!

View Ryan's Recording
Matt Clausen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
HikingBugs

1:30 start on Saturday. Arrived at 4:15 to Dollar Lake with a 15 minute break at a steady, moderate pace. 2.75 hours for the day. Many mosquitos once you get to the basin. Started at 6:15 from Dollar Lake the next morning. 9:15 at the summit. 30 minutes at the top. Back at Dollar Lake at 12:15. 15 minutes to pack up. Trailhead at 3:30. 9.25 hours total for the day. Like others have said, there's really no way you can follow the short-cut trail. The final push to the summit is just steep boulder hopping. Stay on the ridge and you'll usually be able to follow a trail. Plenty of camping spots around Dollar Lake. If you walk just a little farther, there are some spots with excellent views of the basin, which I would have preferred. Maybe even more of a wind to keep the mossies away.

Bryant Perkins
HikingBugsGreat!RockyScramble

The first day, we hiked a slight uphill 8 miles to Dollar Lake, dropped pack, and continued to the summit for an 18-mile day in total. We hiked the shorter, steeper trail after Gunsight Pass which had some rock scrambles. The trail then levels out for a mile or so before the difficult, rocky push to the summit. Conditions were mostly dry with no snow on the trail. The hike out was an easy, slightly downhill, 8 miles. While it requires a long ~18 mile day, hiking King’s Peak is very feasible in two days time. I would recommend that you spend the first night around Dollar Lake or at slightly higher altitudes if you are at all concerned about the altitude. I had to turn around 400 vertical feet from the summit because of my worsening acute altitude sickness. I had low expectations based on pictures and knowing that the popularity of the hike would be high because of its status as the highest peak. I was dead wrong. The stars were amazing and NEOWISE was visible by the naked eye in the Northwest at about 11pm! Also, we saw a moose. I will be back to summit King’s Peak for sure.

Shandon Gubler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble