Learn more

Kingfisher Wetland Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(23)
Kingfisher Wetland

Kingfisher Wetland Trail Loop is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ogden, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 137 feet Route Type: Loop

The Kingfisher Loop is a dirt path that loops around a small wetlands area near Buenaventura. It is popular among local bird watchers, and you can usually hear or see frogs and other wetlands animals. There is both an inner and outer loop that are accessible to hikers and bikers. The inner loop 0.6 miles. It is well maintained gravel and ranges from 6 to 10 feet wide. The outer loop is mostly sand once it splits form the inner loop, and is overgrown in some portions. It is narrower but still plenty of room for two people side by side. Total outer loop distance is 1.0, but about half of that is the same track as the inner loop. Both loops climb a hill on the back end that provides a great viewpoint. There is also a tower near the entrance you can climb for an excellent view of the wetlands. The stairs are in great condition, but the platform itself shows some wear on the wooden planks. There is a new outdoor shooting range in the planning phase that might cause some of the outer loop to be rerouted, but plans are not available to the public at this point.

Kind of a weird trail. Small lookout onto the marsh. Good for basic walking. I should have just brought a stroller.

Better for walking that riding

Was a pretty sketchy trail. And some of trail is either blocked off or dug into. Lots of trails was difficult to stay in the designated.

The “trailhead” on this app is not correct. If you park in observatory park you need to walk to your left towards the paved little path and about 50 yards from the parking lot is a trail map. Make sure you look at it!! There are lots of trails off the main path and the “kingfisher” part of the trail is a bit farther down. Very easy, mostly flat hike. Great for just getting out of the house and some fresh air!

I wasn’t very impressed with the landscape, lots of tall thistles and dry grass. However, mountains were beautiful and as we got closer to the pond the cottonwoods and other trees were pretty. It was not very crowded and the dogs loved running for a bit. Bring big spray and wear it! We were ambushed by mosquitoes!

Tue Jun 04 2019

I loved this trail! It was very easy to walk, but hard to figure out how to access it. I parked in Observatory Park and walked over to where AllTrails has the trail head as marked on here and found that was an awesome route with great Mountain View’s. There was a lot of wildlife! I saw a red fox in broad daylight running down the path ahead of me, a four foot long green snake (who said hello and then ran off the path into the tall grass nearby) and plenty of birds including a gorgeous hawk in a tree only a few feet away on the outer loop trail! It only took me 45 minutes to walk both the inner and outer loop and back to my car but I totally enjoyed it as a quick little getaway in the city. It was surprisingly quiet considering the location and I didn’t see another human soul in sight!

Sat Sep 02 2017

Not much to see, but a nice walk.

Fri Aug 18 2017

started from camp. who knew this was downtown, next to planes, trains, and automobiles!

Tue Apr 28 2015

This is one of my kids favorite places to come ride bikes. We use to visit the area once a week when we lived in the area. I have done several activities in the area, great spot.

Wed Apr 22 2015

Nice little trail that's slowly building my technical bike experience. There is a bit of climbing on a dirt road, and that upper trail is deep sand so I had to walk part of it. I think I'll keep coming back until I can make it through. I do like the area, but there's a lot of industrial and freeway noise, so it's not as peaceful as I would hope. Still, it is nice having this little area in downtown Ogden that we can go enjoy, until the shooting range comes in and drowns out all the remaining sounds of nature. When I came on this trail a couple days ago, there was a fallen Russian Olive across the bridge. I cleared it off the best I could without the thorns ripping me to bits, but didn't get it all done. But when I came back today, the bridge was completely clear. That's one of the best things about this area of trails - they are very well maintained both by the management folks and by the users.

recorded Kingfisher Wetland Trail Loop