Keyhole Canyon Loop

Keyhole Canyon Loop is a 0.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Springdale, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

rock climbing

Parked at first pull off, traveling west to east. Walked the road portion of the trail, then ascended sandstone on west end of the trail. Once at the top, you have a very steep class 2 descent to the opening of the slot canyon. I brought 3 kids up (14, 11, 5), but wife and 5 yr old daughter turned back at summit, since class 2 scramble down would be too much. Saw some anchors for repealing down if trained/equipped. Boys and I started into the slot canyon, then faced a 8-10 foot long section full of gray water, 4.5-5 feet deep. After trying to attempt a crossing (removed my hiking boots, started to probe depth with poles), I decided it too dangerous for the boys and we turned back (to much displeasure from the kids). Scramble back up, then easy walk down sandstone. Going to come back and try reversing (clockwise vs counterclockwise as I first tried), to see if slot access easier from west end (looks like might not be any ascent/descent from that side). I’ll review again if we try. Spent about 45-60 mins going to that halfway point and then backtracking.