Kessler Peak Trail

Kessler Peak Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

cave

Awesome hike with great views. Some really steep parts made going down a little tricky...with an 8 year old

Did this with my 8 month old in a backing pack. It was a little cold for her at the start so I should have brought her warmer clothes. It was steep! We initially missed he trailhead, but once we went back and found it he trail was well cleared and easy to follow. The trail wasn't crowded at all. We got there at 7:20 and I would recommend that because by the time we got back the parking lot was full of people doing donut falls. It was a weekday in early August. No snow.

Hiked this today, July 9th. As of now, there is no snow field to pass through. You can see the remnants of it, but it is passable. When you reach the snow/ first avy area, you have around1.1k feet to the top. I saw two mines. The fist appeared stable; it's only around 150ft to the end and around 30ft deep. I didn't have an ascender and didn't want to get stuck in the second one. Anyone have any idea how large it is?

The main route contained no scrambling that I saw. It was a constant pitch, but not overly difficult. I found it to be easier than Olympus as a reference.Shaded most of way - which is nice. I fifth the opinion that the initial trail head is easy to miss; however, Suunto has it on their terrain map if you have one of their GPS watches.

Quick hike; moderate difficulty; worth the hike

This was a great hike! Be sure to get an early start if you plan on hiking this trail any time over the next couple months. I decided to start my hike early in the morning and it still ended up being fairly hot by the time I got back to my car. The snow on the north slope wasn't much of an issue and should be gone within a couple weeks. Be prepared to work for it over the last bit of this hike, as it becomes fairly steep on the final push to the ridge. However, the payoff/view at the peak is more than worth it.

Great hike to get away from people. Snow field was only about 70 feet to cross today, and was a bit sketchy, especially on the way back, as the sun had warmed it up. Peak was great, last KM was super steep and a bit rough.

As noted previously the trailhead is easy to miss. If you were to keep going straight from where the Donut Falls trail intersects with FR019 you'll see it. Don't have too much to add to the previous reviews. Pretty steep, but you'll be alone and the views are awesome. I turned around at the snowfield because I wasn't comfortable crossing it and I was a bad hiker, alone without telling anyone where I was. Would have laid there for quite awhile if I slipped haha. Will definitely be back in a few weeks when the snow is all the way out.

Where the trail splits off from the road is easy to miss if you're not looking for it. It looks just like a dried up run off bed. There's just one big snowfield left still as you traverse the north side of the mountain before you the final climb stretch up. Yaktrax and poles would have made it a lot easier to cross, but I just crossed it in my normal hiking shoes and using my hands for added help. Views from the top are great!

Great hike near Salt Lake City. I would recommend this only for experienced hikers/canyoneers who are in great shape. It is difficult and at times quite steep. We went in early June. A lot of the upper trail was covered in snow and some of this was at very steep areas, so the trail was overall pretty dangerous when we went. Towards the end of the trail, there was just too much snow so we instead just scrambled up the rocky mountainside to the top of another peak that was a little bit off the trail. The views are beautiful and it is a great workout. Saw a lot of scat but no larger animals along the trail. Hiking poles are a must. If you are thinking of going when there is likely still snow, I would bring good snow shoes. It's worth it!

Probably the Steepest trail in the Cottonwoods