Kays Creek South Fork Trail

Kays Creek South Fork Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Layton, Utah that features a river. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Best route to Thurston Peak. Also locally known as Community Trail.

If you're looking for the Fernwood Cabin (not to be confused with Adam's Cabin, which is in the same general area, but accessed primarily via the Adam's Canyon trail head), then this is the ideal location to begin your hike. It can be accessed via other routes that connect to this trail, but for the sake of preventing confusion, I recommend beginning at the Fernwood Recreation parking lot. I knew this cabin existed, I just had a somewhat difficult time finding any solid info online regarding it as the single in-an-out destination alone, by itself. About halfway up to Thurston Peak, there is a trail that veers off to the right into some trees. I missed it entirely, climbing an extra 1000+ft. before realizing I must've passed it already lol (d'oh!). On the way back down, I watched more closely for any signs of the cabin, and sure enough... had I been paying closer attention in the first place, I probably would have noticed it before. Depending on the season, you can see the green roof of the cabin peeking through the trees. It's a pretty run down little cabin, in fact its completely missing an entire wall. Kinda creepy, but still super cool none the less. This trail is very steep, particularly once you've passed the cabin (this is why I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars - I am not a fan of super steep lol). It goes without saying that bringing plenty of water is a must, especially during the afternoon/evening hours. Also, beware of rattlesnakes! This trail is riddled with them. However, if you don't bother them, they're just fine with your presence and won't bite you if you just walk around them (imagine that!). Again, not a favorite of mine, but it's one that I can now cross off the bucket list.

Great hike! not too hard. I'm giving it 4 stars because there was a lot of bikers. I had my dog with me so we had to stop and get out of the way a lot to let them pass. Other than that, beautiful hike! You can see the Great Salt Lake the whole time.

Excellent for trail running and gorgeous scenery!!

Friday, October 07, 2016

Good hike for the fall and spring months because it is mostly exposed, which would be miserable during the summer months. It has many climbs and a few steep hills which would be difficult for winter snowshoeing or even with crampons. Some cyclist on the trail. You can hear the highway noises crisply (hwy89) but throughout some of the hike you can also hear the river. Overall it was a nice hike.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Great hike!! Loved the scenery. I will definitely do the hiking again.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Great views. Fun trail, but it is getting overgrown. It takes some searching at times to stay on the trail. Not a big deal with very little chance of getting lost, but be aware.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Fun for the kids ages 3-6 beautiful and tons of awesome flowers!!!

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Nice trail, I would say it was "hard"..

Wednesday, April 20, 2016