Kays Creek Parkway

Kays Creek Parkway is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Layton, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This small reservoir is nestled just below the Ogden bench. A paved trail loops through the area, providing access to the Kay's Creek North Fork and Hobbs Reservoir. You are likely to see wildlife of many varieties, but please respect fishing regulations and limited access areas (in description). This area was marked no trespassing for many years, but Layton City has done a lot of work putting trails in the area and working with local landowners to provide us access to this fantastic area. The trails are steep and the pavement is cracked with weeds in some areas, but is still suitable for bikers, runners, and walkers. The trail is public, but the reservoir and immediate area surrounding it is private property. Walk In Access (WIA) authorization is required for reservoir access. This can be obtained at no cost by calling (800) 221-0659 or online at wildlife.utah.gov/walkinaccess. This is important for management to be able to track usage of an area, and to determine if public usage merits the amount paid by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources to allow access to this portion of property. Hobbs Reservoir is a prime fishing location for Brown Trout, Cutthroat Trout, and Rainbow Trout. Both shore fishing and fishing from non-motorized craft are permitted ONLY with the WIA authorization described above. Anglers may have no more than two fish, and fish of a certain size must be released if caught.

Great trail. Saw frogs, a praying mantis and a deer rib cage. About half sun and half shade, great with kids.

Good walk. 4.5 miles round trip. Paved, well maintained. Mostly flat with one good short uphill section. Have done this walk numerous times.

Utah Conservation Corp is currently creating a dirt trail that T's in near the paved end at Hobbs Reservoir. They've cleared quite a distance already on the East side, plus putting in log stairs in spots. We were fortunate to talk with 5 of them and thank them for doing this. They said they will continue working on that section for a couple more weeks & the goal is to complete it around the reservoir next year. It was our first time hiking Kays Creek and that was a delightful discovery. Along that shaded dirt section it was fun to hear the bull frogs bleating loud & see the rope swing with the 'Beware of Octopus' sign. We accessed from Canyon View TH off Hwy 193. The paved section past that point was nearly level & had yummy ripe cherries & plums in easy reach. Another unexpected bonus... so after, went to a fruit stand and bought some great local cherries.

Love this!

This is an easy hike with paved roads. Depending on which way you go, it could be a little more difficult. It’s great for kids and dogs.

was an easy walk. I could use the stroller, my son that is 2 could run around. didn't have to worry much of rivers. there are spots here and there my son liked to hide and play in. there were runners here and there.

Again I ask, who rates these trails? What’s the criteria? Somehow a “moderate” got hung on this?
When it is beyond easy. It’s easy, easy. It is paved, folks! It’s golf-cart wide. It only ascends briefly and nothing like bad. Maybe tougher on moms pushing a stroller, but jeeze, nothing to get “moderate” about. Otherwise, the reservoir at the end is really nice. It allows fishing, and isn’t afar walk, so packing some fishing stuff in to wet a line might prove worth it. It’s a pleasant enough walk/semi-hike.

Took my 8&10 year old daughters they liked it until we reached the steep incline but for me I loved it. Burned major calories as well that’s ALWAYS a plus!!!!

Paved road... more for running, than hiking. Also constant view of Homes takes the feel of the hike away.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Beautiful on a fall day! At the trailhead, we went left and headed east toward Hobb's Reservoir. At the fork, we went right and gently wound up to the Reservoir. It was a little steep, but the kids did fine. We got the WIA permit online and explored a bit around Hobb's Pond. Then we followed the trail to its end. I would have given this 5 Stars if the Reservoir had been visible for more of the hike. As it was, you could see it at the WIA Access points or barely glimpse it through the trees. But the fall foliage was gorgeous, and I can see us coming again with fishing poles!

Friday, October 06, 2017

Taking the right path is the best for seniors and kids, the left path has inclines, not really recommended for seniors and young kids.

Thursday, October 05, 2017

I love being away from traffic! Beautiful landscape! See wildlife every once in awhile!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

AllTrails needs to fix the part where it says it's a "loop" as the whole trail does not loop, just a small southern section of it,so you are constantly turning around to find the next piece of trail. Gorgeous and shaded, lots of benches and informational plaques. Some parts can be steep, so be careful. Paved the whole way so stroller accessible.

Monday, May 29, 2017

I've been to this trail many times. It's great for kids or youth groups. The southern part of the trail is very flat but as you get closer to the lake it becomes more steep. There are some great informational plaques about wildlife along the trail and some benches. It is in a marshland so there is often lots of bugs in the summer. Also a good trail in the winter!

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Not a hike. It's paved and flat. I make a loop with the trail a few times a week with my dog. It's beautiful. It's decently trafficked in the winter as well.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Beautiful day today sunny and clear, spring time flowing trees, geese, ducks, woodpeckers and deer. Nice experience, nice people on the trail.

Friday, May 15, 2015

This was my old stomping grounds when I was growing up - all my tree forts were down in the hollow, and we all told each other stories of the great undertow in Hobbs Reservoir and all the people that died using the rope swing. Probably all false, but we all need our local mystery.
Been on the trail a few times since it was put in. The slow drizzle today kept most people off the trail, but it didn't make for very good pictures. I've also been having some troubles with the chain on my bike, so the hills were harder than I expected. Still enjoyed my ride and seeing the area again.