Kanarra Creek Canyon Trail

Kanarra Creek Canyon Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kanarraville, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Please note there is an $8 permit required to hike this trail. The trail can get a bit wet at times, so you may want to consider bringing waterproof shoes. The parking fee is $10 at the base of the trail.

Seriously love this hike! Pleasantly surprised with the spectacular scenery and the natural water slide!! Plan to be in water about 35% of the time.

It deserved the five star rating. A nice variety of things to do with hiking on the trail through the creek and what I would call the Neroes with waterfalls and ladders along the way. Only got to the second latter. They need to use their funds to replace it with a new one. Parked at the sweet spot parking lot. Had great ice cream cones. I would recommend bringing polls..

One of my favorite hikes ever! The gals at #thespotparkinglot were lovely! Wear water shoes and bring a camera!

Amazing scenery!! We walked a little past the 2nd ladder and then back and our GPS said we walked 6 miles total! The water was not that cold. We drove almost 4 hours just to go on this hike and we will come again next time we have guests in town. Great for kids 4 and up. Younger kids would need lots of tending to by parents but I saw many parents doing it!

$8 per person. Really? Scam

Amazing, beautiful, narrow-canyon hike! Part trail and part hiking in water (which kept you cool during the heat). There are a couple of ladders that are necessary to keep going, be cautious especially with wet shoes and if you bring little ones (my four year old championed it with a little help).

Beautiful.

So beautiful

Loved this hike but go in water temps the water was so cold! I went a week after it snowed and the water was not ideal to walk in

Started at 7:30am on a Sunday, and there was almost no one on the trail on the way in, then just a few more on the way back. I took my time and went to the 2nd waterfall with a ladder and the whole thing took 2.5 hours. This trail is a lot of fun but it’s just a mere glimpse of what the Narrows is if you are comparing the two. I wore waterproof hiking boots that go just above my ankles and my feet didn’t actually get wet until the very end. Several people with hiking sandals on made comments to me about the water being so cold and their toes being numb, so be prepared.

Such an amazing hike! So much fun and in my opinion better than the popular Narrows in Zion. Different for sure, but nonetheless a great alternative to escape the thousands of people in the NP. Still need to do the Narrows top down hike (full 16 Miles), to make the best comparison.

Anyways, we went a good way past the 3rd waterfall, it was awesome, no people and super narrow slot canyon that goes on for miles. The only pain is the return trip, the first waterfall gets backed up with people coming and going. Not too bad towards the end of the day, but I imagine if you start your hike early and return at peak time, you’ll be waiting quite a bit to get down the waterfall.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HIKE! One of the best I have ever done!

What a great hike! In all it was about 5 miles. We parked at the bottom at the place called the sweet spot parking. Be prepared to get your feet wet and even be up to your knees in spots. There are 3 waterfalls you can climb. The first one has a ladder that is very sturdy. The 2nd you can climb up and around. The 3rd has a partial ladder but you will need to use the rope to get the rest of the way up and you will take a shower at this one if you are adventurous enough to climb it. Beautiful slot canyons along the way. I would recommend getting an early start. Very few people on the trail in the morning but on the way out we came across many hikers and the ladders at the falls were all backed up. We bypassed most of the incoming crowd by walking the creek back. I definitely plan on returning again and venturing further past the 3rd waterfall.

They’ve now implemented the new payment schedule. $8.00 per person, card only, no need for cash. I’m told this was an attempt for less people on the trail, which failed, but it is what it is.

The trail itself is awesome, great for families, kids and novice hikers. The season is open and it’s busier by the day. There was a line at the first stair case so go early or be prepared to wait.

I'm so glad I found this amazing trail. It was the highlight our our Zion and Bruce Canyon trip. Parking is free but admission fee is $8 per person, well worth it to help preserve this beautiful place. Admission can be purchased online or paid with credit /debit card with the gate attendant. The attendant said they're no longer taking cash. First part of the trail is not shaded for a while so beware heat and sunburn. The paths after the second stream crossing get a little confusing as there is no signage. When you make it to the fenced area on the right, head into the river and begin to head upstream. I would suggest wearing tennis shoes or any sturdier shoe that will protect your feet.

This hike is a new favorite for me. The scenery is beautiful and the slot canyon with ladders can’t be beat! Wear water shoes and be prepared to pay $8 per person at the booth. As shown, the hike ends at the entry to the slot canyon. Keep going to make it to the ladders.

Beautiful. Just a lot of people (Memorial Day weekend).

This is one of my favorite hikes in the area! It’s so beautiful & a pretty decent hike. It’s not too hard, the only tough part is the hill at the beginning. Other than that, it’s pretty downhill. You do walk through water for most of the hike which is nice, especially on a hot day. But I do recommend going early in the morning because it does get busy.

Fun hike, bring water shoes! very sunny and open at the beginning so sunscreen and be prepared for the heat.

Absolutely AMAZING!! Once you get to the water/trail, the views are truly awe-inspiring; the canyon walls, the waterfalls, everything! The trail does criss-cross the stream all the way up river. Plan on getting feet wet but the neoprene socks was a great suggestion; it keeps the water temp nominal vs regular socks. As of May1st, they changed the rates: $8/per person but the parking is free. You can prepay online (kanarrafalls.com) or they have an attendant in a booth at the entry (cc or cash accepted).

If you don’t like this hike you’re too hard to please! So much fun walking up the stream through several deep narrows. Multiple falls with ladders make the adventure that much better. 95% of the time you are in the water it is only shoe top deep. A couple times you might get your knees wet for a few seconds. Water is cold. I wore neoprene socks and my feet were fine for the nearly 2 hrs I was in the water. Many people complained of overly cold feet due to not taking any precautions to protect them. Go another half mile or more above the second ladder. You’ll likely have the remaining narrows to yourself.

The trail is a little confusing once you start crossing the river, but I’m sure any trail you take would be fine. Definitely wear Tevas or some other kind of shoes that do great in water. I wore my La Sportiva trail runners and they were amazing! There are two ladders that climb along the side of waterfalls. Be careful as they can be quite slick. Keep close to the wall and use the rope. You should be fine. I don’t recommend bringing small children. They can get quite nervous on the ladders. You’ll be walking upstream in the water for a good chunk of the hike, so hiking poles might be beneficial. Just make sure they’re collapsible and easy to strap onto a pack because you’ll need both hands to climb the waterfall ladders. The hike through the slot canyon is magical and awe inspiring.

There are two parking lots at the base of the trail. The second one on the left is closer to the trailhead - both are $10. Plan on getting wet towards the falls. In certain places the water is at least calf/knee high. I recommend bringing extra socks and/or shoes for the water. I was taking photos so I spent a fair amount of time standing in the water. Very happy I had neoprene socks as the water was pretty cold. Plenty of people brought their kids on the trail. I think I’d bring my kids at 6+ y/o. Some spots are treacherous for the little ones. One of my favorite hikes around the St. George area. Cell service was not great but there were plenty of people on the trail in case of emergency.

Excellent option if you like The Narrows, this is a much less populated water trail. Neoprene socks keep your feet warm in the cold creek water. First half of the hike is a bit exposed but the 2nd half is shaded in the narrow canyons.

All time favorite

This hike is beautiful! Be prepared to get wet! I experienced a traffic jam at the falls because of a bunch of rowdy college kids, but other than that it was perfect. Pretty crowded.

Family with 6yo girl, 11 yo boy, 14yo girl and a 3 year old Brittney spaniel. Absolutely loved this hike. Saw a snake in the water, we all screamed but kept going. The ladder at the first fall was easy up and scary down. Dog didn’t make it up so we called the top of the first falls the end destinAtion for the day. I would say that “ladder” pushed our comfort level to the brink.

Wow!! Our first hike in Utah and it do not disappoint!! Did both waterfalls, definitely glad we had water shoes, and a hiking stick was helpful as well. Saw many families and even a few dogs. HIGHLY recommend this hike!!

Beautiful hiking trail! Keep in mind that there is a ten dollar cash fee to park at the trail head.
The trail it’s self tho has a few points where you have to slightly rock climb but they aren’t too difficult. The first little while is mostly dry but by the end it’s almost entirely water. Since it’s winter runoff the water is pretty cold so I would recommend wearing water proof socks or puddle jumpers. If not, you’ll make it, it’ll just be a little colder.

Amazing hike which provides you with a “canyoneering” type experience without the rappel or requiring a wet suite. Just be aware you need $10 cash to park at the trailhead.

Great hike, takes some time to get up or down the first waterfall while waiting for other people but once we got above the second waterfall there were almost no people. I would definitely recommend waterproof hiking boots over water shoes, my feet were warm and dry all day long.