Jug Handle Arch Trail

Jug Handle Arch Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Springdale, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Challenging to reach view points or challenging to reach summit hike your choice. I love the Arches of Zion National Park. Breathtaking in their elegance, these Arches often go unnoticed simply due to the shear amount of beauty that surrounds them. Jug Handle Arch (a propped arch) can be seen from highway 9 (if you know where to look) but even this arch which projects prominently against the blue sky, is lost in the multi-color eye stimulation of Zion National Park.

I climbed this early in the morning. The hike was a little more challenging than I normally like, although since I did not go to the summit, the technical difficulty for me came early on while going down and up out of the slot canyon (easy class 4 both ways).
The views were exceptional all along the way.

The easiest and safest path was staying to the ridge line.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"I hiked Jug Handle Arch on two different days. First day to the view point below the arch and the second trip to the summit. As someone who enjoys standing on top of things I enjoyed the summit portion of the hike more than the view. However, there is not much to see of the arch when you are looking down!"