Jeep Arch

Jeep Arch is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running.

Awesome hike! The parking area is just past Corona arch parking area, on the right. There is no sign. You will see a sign for the trail once you walk through the culvert, on the left. The cairns are well placed throughout the trail, making it easy to follow. I did the complete loop, going left. . You will see a sign where the loop begins. You have to walk through the arch to complete the loop.
I saw a lot of places where people are walking on the black crusty soil in there. Don’t be an asshole. It takes almost 100 yrs for the soil to grow like that. Most of this hike you are on flat rock and a little dirt. But always avoid walking on the black crusty stuff!!

Wonderful trail, much less busy and just as spectacular as nearby Corona Arch. Some folks have blogged detailed information on this trail on the web, which I found helpful. There is a parking area just down the road from the much larger and busier trailhead for Corona Arch. You go through the culvert under the railroad tracks and follow the sign for the Jeep Arch trail. At about 1.2 miles there is a sign saying "Loop" and you can go either way. I went left and had no trouble getting up under the arch, but I couldn't find the trail going down the other side, maybe because there was a fair amount of snow cover on that side, and maybe because I am not so good at finding trails. So I just went back the way I came. Next time I will try the loop in the other direction. The trail is pretty mellow, with a little bit of scrambling. It is well marked with cairns and boot tracks, but if you aren't paying attention you will lose the trail. I had to stop and backtrack a couple of times, but never felt lost. It was exactly 4 miles the way I did it.

This is a lollipop trail that leads you through the arch. I recommend going left at the split, then making a clockwise loop. I would not recommend hiking this in the summer. No shade.

Saturday, April 23, 2016