Jacks Mountain

Jacks Mountain is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did this last night, took me 90 minutes car to car. No shade but I planned it for sunset so it was perfect. Sweet little intense hike very close to the city. Will do again. Don't stop till you get to the Buddha!

Hike is steep but the mailboxes and view at the top are amazing!

it's not hard.

Short but steep climb with good views of the city and other surrounding peaks.

Helps one appreciate the elevation of Olympus, Twins, Lone Peak, et cetera, but also a good little test of endurance in its own right.

There a lot of connector trails down below to other trailheads so be a little mindful going down.

:-)

Stunning view of the valley! Make sure to hike down before it gets too dark.

I ran this trail but it was very hard had to take a quick break before the top. It was a great view from the top and signing my name in the book felt great. Met great people on the top of the mountain. But didn’t see anybody else the whole way up. Good time.

The incline is a grind which is awesome, but it makes the downhill suck. It’s a fun short trail. Very exposed so don’t go in the middle of the day in the summer like I did.

Steep, exposed, but super pretty!!! It was hard, but short!

It is a pretty difficult trek up, but beyond worth it. More than just a cute statue and mailboxes. Make a little time to hang out at the peak for a bit, you'll want to. There's a few false ridges so don't get in your head, if you see a peak you think is it, it's probably not so just assume you've got further to hike. Happy trails(:

This mountain kicked my butt, but at the very top when you’re looking at the views and signing Jack’s log in the mailboxes, your smile couldn’t possibly be any bigger.

Good little training trail for steep elevation gain. Trail is fully exposed, so plan around the heat of noon day sun. Dogs allowed which is great to take your best friend along.

Definitely is hard. But I’m not much of a hiker. My dog is able to hike it and he was racing me up the incline and pulled me on the way down. Super steep! I fell so many times going down so if you have kiddos they’d probably fall more than me. Maybe.
However it’s a beautiful view!! I would go again! Just may need to up my endurance

Lovely sunset hike. Rated hard for the steep climb UP! Worth the hike to get a picture of our valley, a selfie with Buddha and to sign the journal in the mailbox at the top. Happy Hiking!

We didn't see any snakes on the trail after 7.

Certainly a solid workout with the steep climb and works the knees on the decent but worth it. Takes around 60min up give or take depending on your pace. Could prob do 30 min on the way down if you wanted to but 45 or so at a comfortable pace. Nice rewarding hike you can knock out before wknd brunch and feel good.

It would be great if this one continued back into the valley or ridges to the east/ southeast. It was just starting to get beautiful.

There are a couple false peaks and my friend almost stepped on a rattlesnake so be careful up there! Tons of fun and gorgeous, just make sure you have enough water cause it is hot.

Difficult climb up but has an awesome view from the top.

Difficult climb, but the view is great. There are a few spots where the trail is harder to spot (over some craggy rocks), but it's easy to figure out where to go. I would rate this as difficult. I'm not in that great of shape, but was able to manage it with enough rests on the way up. There is no shade on the trail, and you'll need plenty of water.

Ok for all you hikers who arent super fit or a trail runner ( i am neither of those but i love to hike) this is a hard trail, but doable if you take your time, break as often as you need to :) Bring plenty of water, energy snacks, trekking poles and wear GOOD hiking boots. You have to go down what you go up lol. (and please dont compare yourself to others on the trail..do it for you!)

Tough climb but worth it. It was very windy the day we went which made it a little extra challenging. You'r fully exposed on this trail the entire hike so check the weather and be prepared. Gorgeous views of valley. Bring water and wear good shoes, lots of loose rock on descent.

Good workout with a nice view

Quick loop with about 1500ft of vertical of climbing. Currently the trail is 90% dry. Little mud towards the top.

Steep and quick. Nice little workout in under and hour. Decent payoff for the amount of work

Solid workout, great views!

Great hike, you can reach the top within an hour or so and hop back down. Trail was dry.

Great hike with amazing views of the Valley. Great workout and worth making it all the way to the top.

Love this hike. It's very rewarding, steep and strenuous. Great workout! There was hardly any snow last week amd we didn't use spikes.

The headlamp hike to Jacks Mt last weekend was good. I love the tributes at the summit. Heart warming stuff. I decided to proceed to the to the ridge line behind to the east. WORST MILE EVER. I ran out of deer trails altogether and found out that rocks are hard and shins are softer. My own mistake. Socked in at the top so no payoff. I'll turn around after summiting Jacks next time.

pretty decent hike to make you lose your breath and keep you winded, but in the end it's an amazing hike.

Pretty muddy this time of year, including icy patches. I did wear my MicroSpikes for better grip. It's worth the climb to the top, especially to watch a storm front roll in. This valley is even more amazing from above! The Buddha shrine and mail boxes at the top make it even more entertaining.