Island Lake Trail

Island Lake Trail is a 8.7 mile out and back trail located near Kamas, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, horses, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From kamas, take the Mirror Lake Highway (Highway 150) 27 miles to Trial Lake Campground. Exit left (west) onto a paved road, and travel about a mile to a fork in the road. Then turn right (north) for another mile to the trailhead.

Great experience. But we did not reach Island Lake. We were misled by a number of cairns. It is at least 4 miles one way.

The trail distance markers are completing wrong, they falsely advertise 3 miles to Island Lake from Crystal Lake and are spaced completely off. It's an okay hike.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

As others have mentioned. Fun hike that gets steep on the final stretch up to Island Lake. much quieter during the week than the weekend. I will likely try this hike again in late summer.

Friday, August 28, 2015

Monday, August 24, 2015

Love this lake. The trail is a bit of a scramble at times but well worth it for the views. Good fishing too.

Sunday, August 09, 2015

Thursday, August 06, 2015

Our family did a 22 mile loop here in June (4 kids ages 12,10, 8, 6 did well, but it was a challenge). We started at the Shingle Creek TH, going to East Shingle Creek Lake, South Erickson Lake, Big Elk Lake, Island Lake, Long Lake, then down the North Fork of the Provo River Trail. We probably will never hike in this area in June again because the mosquitos were horrible (we hiked Notch Pass in July and only saw one mosquito!). There was a great campsite at East Shingle Creek Lake (probably more than one, we were to tired that night to look). Between South Ericson Lake and Big Elk Lake the trail relies heavily on cairns and can be tricky to navigate. Long Lake was filled with campsites and very crowded. We had the North Fork of the Provo River Trail all to ourselves for nearly 9.5 miles. That stretch of trail is so beautiful and diverse, with waterfalls and meadows, highly recommended it.

Thursday, August 06, 2015

This is a great hike, and a really picturesque area to camp, although it can get a bit crowded. Tomorrow my brothers and I will be packing in early to try and beat the weekend crowd...

Monday, September 08, 2014

It's not too bad of a hike. We deviated to what we thought was the trail right at the longe lake dam. We got a little lost. We should have stayed more right going east but there are stacked rocks signaling a trail that goes down to I think Mehr lake. It's a really cool lake, and like others have said it can get noisy with all the people jumping off the cliffs. We hiked to a few near by lakes and didn't hangout at island very much. Fun hike

Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Great short hike! Highly recommended for scenery/fishing/camping.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Sunday, July 20, 2014

This has been mentioned before but I'll say it again: if solitude is what you seek, go somewhere else. Otherwise it's a great hike. I absolutely love the cliff jumping... Very deep water below the northern cliffs (haven't tried the others).

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Did this hike with the wife and kids this summer. It was a little strenuous for the kids and I ended up carrying their packs for most of the time. The ascent up to Island lake at the end was a series of fairly steep switchbacks that offered a nice view of the valley below, but was too much for my 8 and 9 year-olds. The lake itself was beautiful. There were a couple groups of people cliff jumping off the north side. There were excellent camping spot on the west side of the lake, but they were full. If you want solitude, this is not the place for you - it was quite busy. Overall, a pretty enjoyable hike, but I would probably go down to Duck lake next time to get away from the crowds.
Here's our track: http://alltrails.com/tracks/1958-island-lake

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Sunday, August 11, 2013

This hike was awesome!! Definitely a day hike, took us just over 5 hours. We did veer off the trail for a little bit, oops.
This would also be a perfect spot to backpack into.
We took the loop which passes you by multiple lakes: Crystal Lake, Long Lake, Island Lake, Duck Lake, Pot Lake, and Weir Lake.
This hike was beautiful!! I have uploaded many pictures and a map that shows the loop we took.

P.S.
The campground you park by is very crowded, but as soon as we got onto the trail we only passed by 3 or 4 groups of people.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013

If you want solitude don't go here the day after the 4th of July. It's the most crowded "Campground" that I've ever been in. People just keep coming and coming. There were 15 groups all camped all within a few hundred feet. If the crowds hadn't been so loud it would have been a great place. If I ever go there again it will be in September when the crowds are gone.