Island Lake Trail

Island Lake Trail is a 8.4 mile out and back trail located near Kamas, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, horses, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From kamas, take the Mirror Lake Highway (Highway 150) 27 miles to Trial Lake Campground. Exit left (west) onto a paved road, and travel about a mile to a fork in the road. Then turn right (north) for another mile to the trailhead.

Great easy-ish hike. The are a few steep sections but they are short. The trail is well maintained and there is some fantastic stone masonry in some areas along the trail after Long Lake. Not a whole lot of tree cover along the trail. The topography is amazing. Lots of cliff spines to explore. Only have seen two deer as far as big wildlife. At the lake there are some cliffs on the north end. Tons of fun to jump from. The water is certainly polar. Ha ha. Very refreshing. Be sure to hike south from Island Lake for some fantastic overlook views of Duck lake and the whole valley. I also highly recommend venturing less than .5 miles over to Fire lake around the bend (you will need to map it out). You will be glad you did. I would like to actually camp there sometime. There are a couple of little springs on the northwest end of Island Lake sufficient for filtering. I don't recommend coming on a holiday weekend. This is the most people I have ever seen while backpacking. We are surrounded by camps. Sooo many people. Almost feels like car camping. Thus the 4 star rating. Venture away from the lake a little for more solitude in camp. Bugs were minimal for the Uintas. Big flies here and there but hardly any mosquitoes. Temperature was almost hot during the day and 49 at night for the lowest. Zero precipitation! I will absolutely come back.

Short version: Great hike for all ages, and activities. There's something for everybody. I saw families, fisherman, archers, horses, and hikers.

Ok, some notes. Most people seem to go to Island Lake. If you want more solitude, either stop at Long Lake or even better, detour left to Duck Lake before you make the climb to Island Lake. Both are just as beautiful and have more privacy.
The trail around Island Lake barely exists on the north side. Trails beyond Island Lake or Duck Lake will require navigational skills.
There are a lot of open range cattle. Keep an eye out for them. They will stand right in the trail and refuse to move. They may come raid your campsite. Be cow aware. I saw no signs of bears. I saw lots of cow damage to campsites.
Lastly, I don't think the map at the trailhead is correct. The milages are off (but are correct on here), and you go over 11,000 ft in altitude on Mt Watson, which is not correct according to the map (on this site or at the trailhead). I plan to go back at some point and get an accurate map. I just had a GPS wristwatch. The signage is adequate for navigation purposes.

Really easy trail for all ages, just wouldn't suggest bringing small dogs. beautiful views and a lot of scattered lakes and ponds. You pass by one every twenty minutes or so. Impossible to get bored, so perfect for kids.

Really fun cliff jumping and beautiful views!

Great trail, I thought it was well marked despite the occasional rock field. Not too busy, beautiful cliffs above the lake

Beautiful hike, trail is clear, hardly any traffic on weekdays. Stopped and set up my hammock at long lake, which is about the halfway point to Island lake.
Mosquitoes are vicious near the lakes though, packing some mosquito spray wouldn't be a bad idea!

This is a great hike. Island Lake is beautiful and during the entire hike you pass a different lake every 15 or 20 minutes. Today, I just went straight from the Crystal Lake Trailhead as described in the AllTrails directions. You can just follow the signs to Island Lake and Long Lake. Long lake is about the halfway point. In total, it is 4 miles to Island Lake and another .5 miles if you want to get to the side of the lake with the cliffs, which you will want to do. In either direction, you can take the trail that runs by Weir Lake and Duck Lake to do part of the hike as a loop, but that will add a little bit to the mileage. The overall elevation gain is not that bad, but it is up and down in both directions, so don't use all your energy on the way to the lake. There was more snow than I would have expected, considering how hot June has been in SLC. The trail was wettest at the beginning and end of the hike, and there are trees down across the trail, but nothing that could be described as challenging. On the way back, there are a couple places where you could lose the trail if you don't pay attention. There was a large group camping by Long Lake, but only 2 gentlemen up at Island Lake. They had carried canoes up with them, which is pretty intrepid.

Nice little trail, great fishing, expect other people camping near you.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great experience. But we did not reach Island Lake. We were misled by a number of cairns. It is at least 4 miles one way.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

The trail distance markers are completing wrong, they falsely advertise 3 miles to Island Lake from Crystal Lake and are spaced completely off. It's an okay hike.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

As others have mentioned. Fun hike that gets steep on the final stretch up to Island Lake. much quieter during the week than the weekend. I will likely try this hike again in late summer.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Love this lake. The trail is a bit of a scramble at times but well worth it for the views. Good fishing too.

Thursday, August 06, 2015

Our family did a 22 mile loop here in June (4 kids ages 12,10, 8, 6 did well, but it was a challenge). We started at the Shingle Creek TH, going to East Shingle Creek Lake, South Erickson Lake, Big Elk Lake, Island Lake, Long Lake, then down the North Fork of the Provo River Trail. We probably will never hike in this area in June again because the mosquitos were horrible (we hiked Notch Pass in July and only saw one mosquito!). There was a great campsite at East Shingle Creek Lake (probably more than one, we were to tired that night to look). Between South Ericson Lake and Big Elk Lake the trail relies heavily on cairns and can be tricky to navigate. Long Lake was filled with campsites and very crowded. We had the North Fork of the Provo River Trail all to ourselves for nearly 9.5 miles. That stretch of trail is so beautiful and diverse, with waterfalls and meadows, highly recommended it.

Thursday, August 06, 2015

This is a great hike, and a really picturesque area to camp, although it can get a bit crowded. Tomorrow my brothers and I will be packing in early to try and beat the weekend crowd...

Monday, September 08, 2014

It's not too bad of a hike. We deviated to what we thought was the trail right at the longe lake dam. We got a little lost. We should have stayed more right going east but there are stacked rocks signaling a trail that goes down to I think Mehr lake. It's a really cool lake, and like others have said it can get noisy with all the people jumping off the cliffs. We hiked to a few near by lakes and didn't hangout at island very much. Fun hike

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Great short hike! Highly recommended for scenery/fishing/camping.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

This has been mentioned before but I'll say it again: if solitude is what you seek, go somewhere else. Otherwise it's a great hike. I absolutely love the cliff jumping... Very deep water below the northern cliffs (haven't tried the others).

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Did this hike with the wife and kids this summer. It was a little strenuous for the kids and I ended up carrying their packs for most of the time. The ascent up to Island lake at the end was a series of fairly steep switchbacks that offered a nice view of the valley below, but was too much for my 8 and 9 year-olds. The lake itself was beautiful. There were a couple groups of people cliff jumping off the north side. There were excellent camping spot on the west side of the lake, but they were full. If you want solitude, this is not the place for you - it was quite busy. Overall, a pretty enjoyable hike, but I would probably go down to Duck lake next time to get away from the crowds.
Here's our track: http://alltrails.com/tracks/1958-island-lake

Sunday, August 11, 2013

This hike was awesome!! Definitely a day hike, took us just over 5 hours. We did veer off the trail for a little bit, oops.
This would also be a perfect spot to backpack into.
We took the loop which passes you by multiple lakes: Crystal Lake, Long Lake, Island Lake, Duck Lake, Pot Lake, and Weir Lake.
This hike was beautiful!! I have uploaded many pictures and a map that shows the loop we took.

P.S.
The campground you park by is very crowded, but as soon as we got onto the trail we only passed by 3 or 4 groups of people.